Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help please. Need advise on taking pictures of orion nebula

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No seriously, you can pick up some great buys through the auction sites, and should be able to get into astrophotography and then move up to deep sky ect.....a steady driven mount, with a camera mounted, should give you a start on wide field shots of the night sky, just remember to experiment with the settings.

Well been taking pictures of Jupiter last night. Going to play around with the settings abit more tonight :) this is my first attempt and obvious i am going to need a few more things haha 

Next time you go to shoot a planet try this http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184821-beginners-guide-to-stacking-planetary-images-with-autostakkert2/

You will be amazed at the difference it makes :)

Looks better than my first ever image lol.

Download DeepSkyStacker mate its free and much better than PS for stacking :)http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

I had a go at Orion last night my first attempt since i got the motors for my mount and altho not great im pretty happy with the results.

Still got a lot to learn on the processing side but im getting there slowly.

post-33248-0-23368000-1394013278_thumb.j

Wow! Nice Image Lee. I took my first DSO images last night of Orion Nebula. Will post images on here later. I am using 200p and eq5 and dual motors, not sure if polar alignment us spot on or tracking as tracking seemed a little eradication and had trails over 15 seconds. Only got about 7 subs and 7 darks. Tried stacking in dss. Seemed easy enough but processing I think I need to learn PS. Think I need to get more subs too. Will post image soon. Andy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Nice Image Lee. I took my first DSO images last night of Orion Nebula. Will post images on here later. I am using 200p and eq5 and dual motors, not sure if polar alignment us spot on or tracking as tracking seemed a little eradication and had trails over 15 seconds. Only got about 7 subs and 7 darks. Tried stacking in dss. Seemed easy enough but processing I think I need to learn PS. Think I need to get more subs too. Will post image soon. Andy.

thanks mate :)

I have problem with star trails too even with perfect alignment and balancing.  Out of 120 exposures i reckon only 50 where perfect and 32 where so bad i deleted them.  Because i wasnt cropping the image too much i left the ones with minor trails.

When polar aligning do you ratate the mount so that the picture of Ursa Major inside the polar scope matches how it looks in the sky?

Yes I align Big Dipper. I thin I just need to try more subs and get used to it all. :)

Here is my very first DSO and very first image with my brand new DSLR. Just one sub 15 seconds, 1609 ISO. DSS, Photoshop vanyse4u.jpg

I'm quite chuffed!

thats good for a single sub so imagine what 80 of those stacked would look like :)

They key is to get as much data as possible.  The more the better and lots of dark and bias to contol the noise.

I only used 60 dark and 60 bias last night because my camera ran out of battery but i would have liked to have shot 100 of each or at least 80.

Lee, hiw was yours made up just one exposure or did you do multiple exposures? Also multiple exposures on the darks??

Also you say you did a little cropping, is this because yours looks larger than mine? (I know use same scope ,etc)

Cheers! Can't wait to next clear skies.

Hi mate yes I took 120 exposures at ISO 800 and 30 seconds and stacked 88 of them. 32 where thrown away due to satellites and bad star trails. I also used 60 dark and 60 bias frames.

I only cropped the image a little because DSS gives your images a dodgy border due to the slight overlap when you stack so I cropped that off.

My image looks bigger probably due to the extra detail that my longer exposures have brought out so it looks larger. Either this or our cameras are different and images appear different size? Not sure :)

Lee that is an awesome picture man :) ordered a motor for the mount so should be here by Saturday but seen that its going to be cloudy so going to suck. Do i also need polar align it to?

Yes you need perfect polar alignment if you don't have tracking and perfect balance too.

It's absolutely vital I'm afraid but once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature.

Hi mate yes I took 120 exposures at ISO 800 and 30 seconds and stacked 88 of them. 32 where thrown away due to satellites and bad star trails. I also used 60 dark and 60 bias frames.

I only cropped the image a little because DSS gives your images a dodgy border due to the slight overlap when you stack so I cropped that off.

My image looks bigger probably due to the extra detail that my longer exposures have brought out so it looks larger. Either this or our cameras are different and images appear different size? Not sure :)

You don't have to throw away subs with satellites if you use kappa sigma stacking and have at least 10 subs.

I'm not completely sure I ever have perfect PA. But then I haven't really done it often as I'm still new to astronomy. As far as I'm aware this is how I do it. Get latitude correctly set, set polarscope so the Big Dipper is roughly matching its orientation in the sky. Then adjust alt/az and te two bolts to fix Polaris in the "Polaris" circle. I have a sneaky suspicion that it drifts out if alignment, but will check next time. I guess I should check PA often and re-align?

Well the motors are here :D collecting them tomorrow. Is there a link i could check out dude 

Im not sure how to do it with your mount im afraid mate.  Does it have a built in polar scope?

I'm not completely sure I ever have perfect PA. But then I haven't really done it often as I'm still new to astronomy. As far as I'm aware this is how I do it. Get latitude correctly set, set polarscope so the Big Dipper is roughly matching its orientation in the sky. Then adjust alt/az and te two bolts to fix Polaris in the "Polaris" circle. I have a sneaky suspicion that it drifts out if alignment, but will check next time. I guess I should check PA often and re-align?

Once you have done a proper polar align no it should be fine all night because you are actually aligning the mount to the NCP and not polaris.

When you rotate the polar scope so it aligns with Ursa Major and then centre Polaris in the small circle on the larger outer circle thats you then aligned to the NCP which is the actual real north centre of the sky.  The invisible point on which polaris "orbits" so to speak.

Making sure the tripod is perfectly flat using the built in spirit level and then making sure you have perfect balance is also key to longer exposures.

Archived