Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Astronomy Magazine?

Steve, your deep sky tour was the only reason I have a subscription to Sky at Night.

That's very kind of you, Chris - almost makes me wish I hadn't resigned from the post now!  Having written the tour for a couple of years or so I felt that it needed an injection of new ideas as I had pretty much written about all the objects that I felt qualified to write about. I have no doubt that you will continue to enjoy the tours written by the contributor who is taking over from me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never brought one yet there's just to much free info on the net ,

Pat

This is very true, but I do like a magazine.

I remember when I was a kid my Grandad used to give me his old National Geographic magazines, used to enjoy them and probably learnt quite a bit from them too.

S@N and All About Space for me (along with some classic car mags and Private Eye).

I laminate  the deep sky tours too, and am now starting to build up a nice collection in a ring-binder. Using a chinagraph pencil, you can mark a path of the objects you want ot aim for (including some not included in the guide) then wipe clear afterwards.

I used to buy both Sky at Night and Astronomy Now, but I've stopped buying Sky at Night now. I don't really miss it apart from Steve Tonkin's Binocular Tour page. I've a subscription to Astronomy Now, now. My local Smith's stocks Astronomy magazine which, despite being American, often has lots I like- so I occasionally buy a copy. I don't rate All About Space as highly as any of the others.

• 6 months later...

Just found this thread while looking for something else.

Unfortunately the best astronomy magazine is in finnish

I beg to differ, sir! You need to learn French. I wish there was something like Ciel et Espace in English, because my French is just about good enough to enable me to appreciate it, but not so good that it is an easy read.

I've stopped buying Sky at Night now. I don't really miss it apart from Steve Tonkin's Binocular Tour page.

:blush: Why, thank you, sir!

I subscribed to Astronomy Now and i'm really enjoying the magazine. It's true that you can find everything on the net but i must say that having a physical copy that you can read whenever/wherever its just relaxing :D

The very first ever astro mag I read (back in the 70's) was an old copy of Sky and Telescope.

It was only on loan and was dog eared even before I got it. I was spell bound. The pictures and the articles..WOW!! I'd only ever seen a few books at that stage and they were even less current than this.

I slept with it under my pillow to keep it safe until I had to return it.

It wasn't until some years later when I left school that I could afford to buy magazines and S&T wasn't on my newsagents shelf. "Astronomy", the other main US magazine was available and I eventually subscribed to it for some years.

I then realised I could get my news agent to order in S&T. I eventually subscribed to that too. It was like an old friend popping round every month :)

Then Astronomy now got launched (quaterly at first IIRC) and I subscribed to that also!

I had to start making a decision. 3 astronomy magazines (on top of Short Wave Magazine, New Scientist and sundry other over the counter semi-regular purchases) was just too much!

So Astronomy got the chop, followed my AN and eventually, as life distracted me, S&T too  :( 

I still picked the odd random copy off the shelf when I fancied a read. I tried the new kid on the block, Sky at Night a few times but never took to it. I think Astronomy Now has matured very nicely but haven't read it for ages now and Astronomy just seemed a bit too much into big articles on cosmology and current research rather than amateur astronomy.

Anyway, fast forward to my recent revival of hands on astronomy and my son noticed a copy of S&T lying round and decided to buy me a subscription for a birthday or something. Good choice :)

So S&T is still my favorite though I probably wouldn't recommend it for a complete novice.

Jeez, I could have just answered: "Sky & Telescope" :D

I subscribe to AN. I like the cosmology articles. I pick up S@N most months.

Of the two I do prefer AN. Thing that annoys me with S@N is that they seem to have full page adverts for loads of other magazines, bird watching, heraldry etc. I don't mind adverts, I like to read them but please make them relevant

I like astronomy now! To me has the best iPad edition found so far on an astronomy magazine (also tried Astronomy and Sky and Telescopes but on iPad both are mere scans of the paper edition)!

I second that, AN is really well integrated into an electronic format. S@N doesn't even fit the screen properly :(

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

I subscribe to AN. I like the cosmology articles. I pick up S@N most months.

Of the two I do prefer AN. Thing that annoys me with S@N is that they seem to have full page adverts for loads of other magazines, bird watching, heraldry etc. I don't mind adverts, I like to read them but please make them relevant

Agreed, used often as a platform for advertising other tomes in their distribribution system.

Archived