Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY - dew shield and flocking

The other night while I was out there my ST80 dewed up, mid-imaging, leading to loss of guiding. Had me puzzled for a bit, first time that has happened. The main OTA was ok. Was able to rescue by borrowing hair-dryer but naturally this wasn't ideal.

So I might make a dew shield. What is the best foam material to make one from. Is this sort of black foam any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-NEOPRENE-PLAIN-SPONGE-FOAM-RUBBER-SHEET-VARIOUS-SHEET-SIZES-THICKNESSES-/261338185781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=560247776763&hash=item3cd8f84035

and what thickness is good? I'll probably make a little one for the ST80 and a bigger one for the 200mm tube, even though that has not had dew issues yet, I'm sure it will happen at some point.

The other thing, I think my main 200mm tube could do with some internal flocking, maybe not the whole tube but the critical areas.

Where in the UK can I get the right sort of material. I want sticky-back stuff? FLO seem out of stock. If you have any recommendations that would be good, as I don't want to use the wrong stuff. What about flock-board, how does that work?

thanks in advance.

It can be a good idea to make a longer dewshield, if you get hold of an empty 3ltr pop/booze bottle, make one from this, it will slip over original for use on bad nights, cut ends from bottle, slit the cylinder so you can wrap it around dewshield, glue or tape it to fit then flock inside , pm me if you need more details

Yes the black neoprene is the way to go,though I,m not sure what thickness for the 200(I used a camping mat with good results)the flocking material I used came from wilco or wilkinson called black velour.It is sticky back made by dc-fix.You need two pieces for a 200mmx1000fl fully flocked at £5 per piece.Again the results where noticeable,no light scatter.The dew shield want to be 1.5 times the diameter of the tube.Hope this helps

Jonn

Camping mats are useful for larger tubes.  I've use a variety of things for smaller tubes including stiff black card, thick plastic sheets rolled up, cardboard tubes, but up plastic bottles,  - almost anything you can wrap round the tube will work well at a pinch

For flocking this will do it you may need two rolls for the 200 only took one for my 150p

http://www.wilko.com/dc-fix-sticky-back-plastic/d-c-fix-original-deco-self-adhesive-film-velour-black-348-0005/invt/0309578?VBMST=%20D-C-Fix%20Original%20matt%20Deco%20Self-Adhesive%20Film

And a good camping mat makes a great dew shield mine works fine.

For flocking this will do it you may need two rolls for the 200 only took one for my 150p

http://www.wilko.com/dc-fix-sticky-back-plastic/d-c-fix-original-deco-self-adhesive-film-velour-black-348-0005/invt/0309578?VBMST=%20D-C-Fix%20Original%20matt%20Deco%20Self-Adhesive%20Film

Cheers wookie...just what i have been looking for also...nip in tomoz and pick some up....thanks

Love the photo of the product on that link - it's just so . . . . BLACK.

Archived