NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show me your cheap images

hunterknox

I'm interested in what people have managed to do in terms of imaging with relatively modest equipment. With that in mind, show me your best cheap* images...

* that's cheap as in all-in costs. No wise guys with £6 webcams saying "well I had the C14 already..."!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an old thread kicking around somewhere with exactly this in mind. I think we agreed a £1,000 limit for the kit and there were some very good results posted. I'll keep looking for it but if someone knows where it is, please post a link :D

Purely because I thought it would be impossible, I shot this with a Canon 1000D and an unmounted Skymax 127 hand-held :eek:

post-5915-0-32595100-1391193480_thumb.jp

Not very good but the OTA only cost £80 s/h and I had the DSLR already ;)

Purely because I thought it would be impossible, I shot this with a Canon 1000D and an unmounted Skymax 127 hand-held :eek:

I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere of a chap using a hand-held DSLR on the back of a C6  :eek:

James

Well, depends what you mean by cheap, but SPC900 (£5), used 127 Mak on a well-used EQ3-2 and a £36 Revelation barlow:

jupiter-2012-10-14.png

io-transit.png

James

I think these prove that it is as much the operator as the equipment. i used similar equipment and never got anything so good

I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere of a chap using a hand-held DSLR on the back of a C6  :eek:

James

Yes, that's what provoked my experiment. I thought it was cobblers but it was actually rather easy. I've got a Jupiter pic as well somewhere, that was pretty difficult but the moon was fine.

Well, depends what you mean by cheap, but SPC900 (£5), used 127 Mak on a well-used EQ3-2 and a £36 Revelation barlow:

jupiter-2012-10-14.png

io-transit.png

James

James they're great!

Here is my best effort so far with a 150p explorer on eq3-2 with the xbox webcam

2ydusabe.jpg

I think I need more practise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Lagoon Nebula through an ST80 on an EQ1 with v basic RA drive (£140) plus Canon 600D (£350). From middle of nowhere in Spain Summer 2013.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdrandall/9825159663/

First attempt at Saturn through SkyWatcher 200p with modified £5 Xbox Live webcam.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdrandall/8619643909/

Archived