Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

real time viewing via cam imaging

dROU

Hi,

newby all set to get starting equipment and get started.

I really know nothing about imaging as was coming to it later once had mastered finding and tracking objects.

Wife enthusiastic for me to buy new toys..   nice!

Wife would now like to try it for herself...    nice!      but complicated.

Was set for an 8" reflector on EQ mount so could later try DSLR for imaging.

Wife is a wheelchair/scooter user and can stand up for no more than a few minutes at a time, absolutely no chance of bending or contorting to the eyepiece.

Haven't mentioned what a factor getting your eye to the viewing point can be as I really don't want to hurt her enthusiasm.

What's the likelihood we can view normal quality images through cam and laptop or a CCTV cam setup?

Is it a realistic possibility?

What sort of kit would you recommend for an addon budget of say £300?

If we could find more would that make the difference? if so how much?

Can we get her to real time parity with an able bodied amature astronomer?

Any similarly challenged folks out there still able to enjoy the hobby?

Huge thanks for any guidance.

I have mostly used SCT's for  real or near realtime video imaging. They have plenty of focal length for the Moon and planets and can also be operated at F3.3 with a focal reducer for deep sky objects.  :smiley:

The F/3.3 reducers are really only for imaging (and video astronomy), the F/6.3 reducers are useful for both imaging and visual.

Hi dROU

A video camera and a small LCD monitor will allow you to "see" more than is possible in the eyepiece (albeit at lower resolution).

The current favourite as a starter package is the PD Astro camera from Phil Dyer available as a kit including all you need to get started (minus a suitable monitor):

http://www.astrophoto.co.uk/cameras.htm

There are alternatives and you will find lots of useful information here in the Video Astronomy section.

I would also recommend an SCT for both visual and video use - and 8" SCT with a F6.3 reducer will give similar views to an 8" F6 newtonian but will have a much more accessible eyepiece position.

For visual or video use, an AZ mount is OK, EQ is only really needed for long exposure astro photography.

If you go down the video route you will need tracking (exposures of upto 10 seconds are possible with the PD camera) and possibly GOTO - the field of view of the video camera is comparable to a 6mm eyepiece.

The next step up in cameras are the SCB4000 which is slightly more sensitive and have a wider field of view.

After that you are looking at dedicated Astro video camera such as the Mallicam range which offer exceptional sensitivity and are tailor made for real time viewing. Alternatively you can use  dedicated astro CCD cameras in near real time mode - Paul81 is developing software to allow the Lodestar range of guide cameras to be used in near real time mode - have a search for Lodestar Live you'll find a few thread showing whats possible.

I suggest you start with the PD camera and a cheap x0.5 reducer with either a small LCD monitor (must support composite video input) or a USB video dongle and a lap top.

Have a look at my gallery to see what can be achieved with a similar video camera (Samsung SDC435/SCB2000).

To see what's possible at the other end of the price range have a look at Dragon Mans (Ken) screen captures using his Mallincam Extreme - truly outstanding! 

Hope this helps - don't be afraid to ask, we're a friendly bunch!

Clear skies

Paul

Welcome to the forum!!

Paul has summed up an introduction to video astronomy very well. - I have the PD 1 camera and would recommend it.

Do bear in mind that Phil does a remote control version kit (not on his website) - it means that after setting up the kit you can view images in the warm indoors and adjust the camera settings to suit .

My own ED80 refractor (with 0.5 focal reducer) set up is linked to Stellarium and utilises a Skywatcher AZ GOTO mount to locate objects. I view on my computer monitor and can capture images should I choose to.

HTH

Wow Nibor, if the wife gets an inkling she can sit in the car with the heater on she'll have me set it up and then I'd best get a small refractor as well so I've got something to do apart from brew up...

Joking aside that really would make it very doable for her, thanks for mentioning it

Hi dROU

You might want to consider the iOptron Minitower mount which allows you to mount two scopes side by side - you could use one for visual and one for video.

I have used a Skywatcher 102 MAK with a F3.3 reducer and my video camera, not the first combination that springs to mind for DSO astro photography, however for the brighter planetary nebulae and globular clusters you can get some very nice views - all mounted on the Skywatcher AZ mount. Or you could look at a small ED refractor like Nibor uses - the wider field of view makes the GOTO a little more reliable.

I use a combination of a small ED refractor (INED70), the 102 MAK and a C8 SCT depending upon the targets (the C8 and the INED70 can both ride my iOptron Minitower at the same time) - at home I control the scope from inside via a USB extension  cable and when out and about I can sit in my van with a cuppa!

Clear skies

Paul

Hi dROU,

as far as others with a handicap for Astronomy, have a read of a similar story.

It is called 

Why Video? A Personal Justification

by Jim O'Connor

Go here: http://ballaratman.wix.com/videoastronomy# then go to the 'About AstroVideo' page and scroll way down to see it.

Ken - Thank you for sharing Jim's site - a great resource for both beginners and the more experienced!!

totally agree jim is a great guy and puts a lot of time and effort into helping disabled and abled astronomers view the night skies,his write ups for the star parties they have make great reading,,,jim told me the story of his wife a year ago and its still a great read and inspiration for video astronomers...davy

If you are anywhere near to Ticknall in South Derbyshire, the National Trust at Calke Abbey are holding a 'starparty' on Sat. 8th March in conjunction with the Leicester Astronomical Society.Weather permitting there will be at least one video camera and TV screen in operation, where you can see for yourself and get some advice- its in the car park on a smooth surface and pretty dark too. I believe the NT are charging £10 entry, but you get a soup and roll included!

Old Codger

jim your site is a great resource and an assurance that this makes real sense, the story section is Dobson's great quote made real.

You're good people Jim, our regards to your wife

Phil

Ummmmm, dROU and Nibor, it's not Jims website. It's mine  :grin:

I asked Jim for permission to use his story, and he allowed me to post it in there.  :smiley:

But point taken. It is an incredible article. That's why I asked him if I could place it in my website.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived