Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HH Nebula! finally mine

IVAN TAPIA

After traveling one and half hour to the dark site I was finally able to barely spot the Horse Head nebula, I felt awesomeness, totally worth the 10 degree F temperature, last month I was able to see the flame nebula next to Alnitak with just the EP but this time I had a H-Beta filter and it did show it to me even if just barely, tonight its going to be clear again and probably my last chance this month for a moon free sky, I might do the trip again. Thanks to all of this community for the way it shares comments and advise, great forum.

Call me Desdinova.

Well Done!! it sure is a difficult object, but worth hunting down. Did you find that it sort of came and went? Simon and I found that averted vision worked really well, and made it pop out. Would be very interested to hear the technique you used.

The HH is an elusive one. I've of people unable to make it out in a 20" from a dark site, but also observations with a 10" under the right conditions.  I managed a very very faint view with  a 10"  (not my SW dob) H-Beta filter and perfect skies. It was just a dark notch in a faint patch of nebulosity - unfortunately couldn't see the horse head shape.

Well Done!! it sure is a difficult object, but worth hunting down. Did you find that it sort of came and went? Simon and I found that averted vision worked really well, and made it pop out. Would be very interested to hear the technique you used.

. That's sounds about right, averted vision showed me a bit more, from the site that I used and it was a new moon night, you could spot Andromeda in plain sight plus a bunch of clusters and using the dob, the likes of M33, M1, M77, M81 & M82 just popped in the ep when you scaned the area, it was a great night, the place is called swan overlook. https://maps.google.com/

Call me Desdinova.

I would be interested to learn of the type of H-beta filter you are using. I have recently placed an order on a Lumicon 2" H-beta filter, which I aim to use to attempt to locate a selection of applicable objects from my regional dark skies, including of course the Horse Head.  Tried recently with a borrowed H-beta filter, but could not quite grasp it (although another club member more familiar with this object did reckon to detect it). The weather is playing havoc too here in the UK, so could yet be next season for the HH.

I would be interested to learn of the type of H-beta filter you are using. I have recently placed an order on a Lumicon 2" H-beta filter, which I aim to use to attempt to locate a selection of applicable objects from my regional dark skies, including of course the Horse Head. Tried recently with a borrowed H-beta filter, but could not quite grasp it (although another club member more familiar with this object did reckon to detect it). The weather is playing havoc too here in the UK, so could yet be next season for the HH.

. It's a Orion 2-Inch Hydrogen-Beta Eyepiece Filter

Call me Desdinova.

Well done Desdinova, I'd love to see that one some day. From home there is no point trying.

well done. i have only ever managed the flame from my dark site but i dont have a H-Beta filter...maybe time to invest :p

Not sure I've been at a dark enough site yet or where the skies played ball enough. When I tried last time I failed. Where I go sometimes is a bit east of Bristol where skies are somewhat better compared to home, but south facing lower down is not that good in that spot.  I don't have a H-beta filter either and perhaps I suck, or combination of all those factors :p .  Oiii and H beta  must be added at some point. Wonder what sort of skies you need to bag it in a 10 inch scope.

Well done Desdinova, I'd love to see that one some day. From home there is no point trying.

Not sure I've been at a dark enough site yet or where the skies played ball enough. When I tried last time I failed. Where I go sometimes is a bit east of Bristol where skies are somewhat better compared to home, but south facing lower down is not that good in that spot.  I don't have a H-beta filter either and perhaps I suck, or combination of all those factors :p .  Oiii and H beta  must be added at some point. Wonder what sort of skies you need to bag it in a 10 inch scope.

I've been trying with decent eyepieces and a couple of really good H-Beta filters (Lumicon and 1000 Oaks) and not had a trace of it with my 12" dob even on dark nights, so far.

It's a really tough object to observe visually, perhaps one of the toughest challenges we have ?

I'm hoping for some dark skies at the SGL star party in early April. The HH neb was seen there last year with a 16" dob but the day before I arrived  :embarrassed:

I've been trying with decent eyepieces and a couple of really good H-Beta filters (Lumicon and 1000 Oaks) and not had a trace of it with my 12" dob even on dark nights, so far.

It's a really tough object to observe visually, perhaps one of the toughest challenges we have ?

I'm hoping for some dark skies at the SGL star party in early April. The HH neb was seen there last year with a 16" dob but the day before I arrived :embarrassed:

. I knew it was hard to see but I got encouraged to spend on a H-B filter after making out the flame nebula with just the EP.

Call me Desdinova.

So I feel at least there is some hope with the filter. I never researched the target much not but now having read up on it I know I was silly to even try where I did try, but I could not resist. 

With an H filter and my next visit to the outer reaches of the Irish coast at the right time of the year  I feel there is some chance perhaps ( Bortle 1 - 2 there) .

So I feel at least there is some hope with the filter. I never researched the target much not but now having read up on it I know I was silly to even try where I did try, but I could not resist. 

With an H filter and my next visit to the outer reaches of the Irish coast at the right time of the year  I feel there is some chance perhaps ( Bortle 1 - 2 there) .

Thats how I feel Alex. Occasionally we do get a stunningly dark night with great transparency and I'm prepared to hold an H-Beta filter in my tool box for when such a night comes along.

I've read reports of it being seen with really small aperture scopes under the right, though rare, conditions. 

Thats how I feel Alex. Occasionally we do get a stunningly dark night with great transparency and I'm prepared to hold an H-Beta filter in my tool box for when such a night comes along.

I've read reports of it being seen with really small aperture scopes under the right, though rare, conditions.

That gives me hope for my C8 high up in the Alps

Archived