Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moonlite focuser outward travel...

I'm thinking getting an extension for my Moonlite focuser since most of my EPs don't reach focus and they seem to require more back travel.

My main concern is stability. If you have all this tube sticking out (like a mini scope) out of the Dob, will it still keep the same level of stability especially if you're using heavy eyepieces?!

There's the Moonlite extension and there are also cheaper options which I'm not sure will be as effective?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi emad, instead of a extension tube for your moonlite i used a badder twistlock extension which just sits in your focuser and you tighten as usual, then you have the lovely twistlock action and never need to move it. heres what i bought

http://www.365astronomy.com/baader-2-clicklock-2-clextension-47mm-p-2274.html

hi emad, instead of a extension tube for your moonlite i used a badder twistlock extension which just sits in your focuser and you tighten as usual, then you have the lovely twistlock action and never need to move it. heres what i bought

http://www.365astronomy.com/baader-2-clicklock-2-clextension-47mm-p-2274.html

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Does it act as an extension as well? Do you have a photo of your set-up?

Yes the baader twistlock would be another option to.

So far as my eyepiece range was concerned, I was using low power x43 to high power x214 and focus travel was was achieved without problem with the 1.5" extension. I assembled two of the moonlite spacers, from the installation kit (I think the 1" and 1/4") which are easy to attach and try out. 

I presume that you have the 50mm travel (standard) focuser, you could also assemble all three spacer blocks and try this system out with your eyepieces, although an extension tube would resolve focus.

I've got the 0.5" only unfitted. But I doubt half inch of back travel will totally solve the problem. Perhaps it'll work in combination with an extender. 

i had to use a 40mm extension tube with my std 00 focuser which worked with all my eps. when i bought the moonlite i added the badder system which is perfect and i didnt need and additional base plates i only used the standard curved jobbie

I use a selection of extension tubes (35mm, 50mm, and even have a 80mm) all work prefectly.

you  could simply hold the EP by hand to get a rough focus, then measure that distance to find out which tube you need.

Lee

I think I'll probably get both a 40mm and 80mm Revelation extensions. Which ones do you use?

I found with my 10" Newt and Moonlite getting the Primary Mirror right down the bottom of the tube, it would use a extension with the focuser around half way, moving the mirror up the tube i could do away with the extension but the mirror tension screws were not work and the mirror flopped about a bit if it wasn't upright.....i have the 80mm Rev extension, never used it....

moonlite extension tube is very light and has the compression ring on business end and thread for 2" filters at the other end.Fits snug into draw tube,as such you should have no issues at all by using it.I had it in my scope ,fully extended,extension tube+barlow+20mm ES 100deg and there was no wobble or any instability signs at all.Works perfectly fine and is beautifully crafted same as all moonlite products ;) 

Archived