Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solutions to back problems

I am currently using a SW200p Dob and am experiencing pain in my lower back, particularly when trying to find objects that are high in the sky through the finder scope but also when viewing through the eyepiece. The problem seems to be caused by having to contort my spine into various shapes in order to get my eye in front of the relevant lense and is compounded when I have to spend a few minutes looking for things I have not seen before. The end result is that I invariably have to give up looking and content myself with Jupiter.

I am about to upgrade to something bigger and with GOTO to solve the problem of tracking down new objects and to give me more power. I am currently stuck between a bigger Dob and Schmidt-Cassegrain on a dual fork arm altazimuth mount.

The bigger Dob is likely to present me with more back problems lugging it around I am still likely to have to get into some interesting positions to see through the eyepiece. The SC looks like it would be easier to move and more likely to be in positions which allow me to look into it straight on to avoid twisting my spine. The problem is that the SC is almost twice the ££ for a similar powered scope.

Am I right in thinking that the SC is likely to give me more comfortable viewing? I am willing to spend the money if it takes away some or all of the pain but would love to hear from people who have experienced both types and might have the same problems that I have been experiencing.

Thanks

I  suffer from sciatica in the lower back and also find that viewing through large Newtonians for long periods can cause pain.

An SCT on a fork AZ mount is more comfortable for viewing. In fact they seem to be popular with wheel chair users as they can be adjusted to the right height for viewing in that position. 

Do you have a permanent set ? humping an SCT any bigger than eight inches can be a pain inthe back, observing wise an Allt Az fork is superb for visual, never had a Dob but an SCT is probably longer focal length and smaller F O V but good for faint fuzzy things not so good for larger objects, but you could always piggy back a wide field refractor on it and have the best of both worlds.

Dave

I have some  lumbar pain when bending down due to a badly healed muscle tear, it was not a pleasant experience setting up the auto align using the finderscope on my SCT. Some contortion is required. I swapped the finder to a Telrad on a 4" riser and the difference is greatly appreciated by my lower back.

I would suggest that placement of the 200p on a level platform to raise the eyepiece height when observing objects at a low angle would help, obviously the eye piece will be beyond tiptoes near zenith, but its less painful to step up onto a box or small stepladder than to bend down and put pressure on your back. Thats my two pennorth'

I did my back a while ago solution ,

1 build obsy

2 fit pier

3 attach all to pier

4 spend a good £123 quid on a alarm designed for a house

5 build dog kennel about 6 feet away from obsy

6 put two jack Russell's that bark at nothing in there job done

;) pat

Ps if all fails buy mini torn CCTV cam and sit on a chair

I've had a few lower back issues over the last year or so. I've had a 200p on an eq5 and struggled a bit with the various positions I used to end up in. I since got a CPC and find observing a much more straightforward and comfortable process. Some contortion is required at times for alignment but that can be got round.

It's a little heavy though so make sure you store it in a place where you can pick it up without bending

You will see from my sig that me and my back go out observing together. I managed to rupture a disk about 3 years ago

The 10" goes out on a sack truck and that's easy.

I got a Telrad AND a RACI finder.

Got an adjustable chair which basically is a chair on a spindle going up and down.

RESULT - I can spend hours of enjoyable observing...........................when the clouds play ball, of course

Good luck with your choice

Barry

Wow, that must be some god malt, better watch out what else you ended with up in your shopping basket and forgot about when you wake up in the morning. :D Good luck with it :smiley:

It's Port Askaig 19 Year Old. Very good indeed!

I remembered to order a power source and a dew shield. Have I missed anything urgent?

It's Port Askaig 19 Year Old. Very good indeed!

I remembered to order a power source and a dew shield. Have I missed anything urgent?

I don't think you'd go far wrong with a couple of Pentax XWs, at that price it is only a small accessory for a top notch view to add to the basket, a TV Ethos or nagler would not be bad either for a bit of extra FOV :D

I don't think you'd go far wrong with a couple of Pentax XWs, at that price it is only a small accessory for a top notch view to add to the basket, a TV Ethos or nagler would not be bad either for a bit of extra FOV :D

Are you trying to get me in (more) trouble with Mrs T? :help:

Archived