Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

W/C 27th January

swamp thing

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might be right Anthony, but the way the weather is at the mo, it could just as likely be clear at any point. Take last night and saturday eve, pouring with rain and blowing a gale all day, then periods of some of the clearest, crispest skies I have seen for a while. Did not get to use them though as working late and too knackered :sad:

Agree it's more about chance periods and getting out in patches of clear skies lately, rather than whole evening out lately! Prob is by time get motivation to get scope out (assuming not had a drink!) it clouds over! Has been v clear in between patches, though not long enough. Had the eqaz6 out couple times recently, first time in about 6m. Hoping for some clearer skies

Long time no see - I have pretty much abandoned astro - last year I kept a calendar of weather to see whether it was really as bad as I thought - it was worse.

There were only 14 clear nights, only 9 of them without a full moon up and of those I was available for a grand total of 4 nights only.  Of those I went twice and both times the sky was murky an d viewing was not great.  Thanks to staff sickness at work I didnt even get away for a camping break so the fact is my gear sat in the flat and got used twice all year !!!

By comparison last year with clear weather during the day I was able to have perfect weather for rocket launches and managed to get more launches off in a month than I did observing for a whole three years the rocketry has rather taken over as my main hobby and astro has been relegated to a back burner.  Shame as I have a Pentax XW 30mm which has yet to come out of its box plus the 32mm Ex Sc super wide which similarly has yet to have a run.

I wont be selling my stuff off but the hard fact is I just cant be bothered with astro anymore - its too much hope and nowehere near enough reward - I find myself too knacked after a day at work to even think about lugging stuff about to stand around in the cold anymore.

I may make an effort this year but I am not hopeful so far and to be honest I think for me the thrill is gone now - too much disappointment has rather killed the hobby off for me.

I will wish you all clear skies though.

Mel

That is a real shame Mel. I was looking forward to meeting you after all the great help you gave me with my eq6. I can understand your reasons though. It sure has been testing off late. Glad to hear that you are keeping your gear though. Must mean that that you have not fully given up hope. You just need one cracking eve to bring all the enthusiasm flooding back. I suggest grinding a mirror and building a scope, astro when it's cloudy!!

Hang in there, can't believe the sky can hold much more rain! Shocked and dazzled by the sun today.... I need to brave the cold as if I don't have a go imaging Jupiter soon i will have lost another years opportunity.

Peter

Well the prob is every year its gotten worse - every year people say it will get better but I am not seeing it at all - its just gotten worse and worse.  I wont sell the kit but its pretty much just hanger queening now as all my resource in time goes into rocketry.

We would have to have some serious clear sky for me to be bothered now - thats two years running I have missed Orion - I mean for Gods sake if you cant even get to see Orion in Winter then whats the point ? See what I mean.  Maybe it will clear up and maybe it wont but for me its pretty much academic these days.  If its clear and I have nothing better to do I will haul the gear out  - thats about where it sits now - somewhere between watching paint dry and re-runs of Crossroads :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve, think I will give bignor a miss this evening. Bit far for me on a school night.

Looked at the site on google street with the co-ordinates you gave me and looks like a lovely spot with all round views.

Hopefully will be a friday or saturday night next time.

Archived