Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Roof roller system

Mukv

Greetings

Done a little bit of work on obsy and had time with family so just a few pics

post-28592-0-73305800-1398105902_thumb.j

post-28592-0-83882600-1398105922_thumb.j

post-28592-0-48213800-1398105936_thumb.j

various elements of the basic shed that makes it a shed with a purpose!

Enjoy

Andy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings

Yup getting there a little bit at a time. When the skin is all fitted what are the opinions on wood protection? I thought about a shed paint from Ronseal http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint-woodcare/decking-fence-shed/Ronseal-One-Coat-Sprayable-Forest-Green-9L-11348522 the roof will be clad with a rubber membrain

or could be ordinary roofing felt from a diy store not decided yet.

Andy

I used a rubber roof and it is far better than any felt that I have used on various sheds in the past.  Its a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.  Just one point - do your "roof walls" not overlap the main walls?  You can make a very easy weatherproof join that way - maybe a second layer of ply on three sides that overlap the walls by an inch?

As for paint I would go for this stuff:  http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/paint-woodcare/general-wood-care/exterior_stain/Ronseal-Woodland-Colours-Wood-Sage-2-5L-11348535?skuId=11858745  It is waxy and repels water from the surface.  You do need three coats but it will go on with a roller easily and can be cleaned up with soap and water.  Much more like a "paint" than a "shed stain" if you see what I mean.

Greetings

Not quite finished the outer walls yet, I still need to fit the door and the last part of the front wall then I will be fitting all the facias to cover all the interface areas.

15m square surface area of wall to cover that would make 5L plenty for 3 coats.

Then it's half a day to lay the ducting to the house for power, USB , CAT5e and remote focus control!

first light will be soon

Andy

Greetings

Well it's looking like another use for latex other than my nights out in fetish, I'm bringing my love of latex clad bodies to my hobby of heavenly bodies!

A hobby in latex sort of ! It just keeps getting better ! I will draw the line at lining the inside walls with the stuff, thats just too much!

Andy

Hi,

Excellent thread, it never ceases to amaze me the superb range of designs, ideas and capabilities that go into our observatories and the hobby. well done. I had a roll on roll off obey fully planned for about a year, even some components collected but was diagnosed with cancer and changed my mind and bought a dome for an easy option (New obey in Norfolk UK) considering my condition. Best move I ever made.

regards

Mike

Greetings

Got the last part of the walls up leaving a space for the door and frame also put some paint on , Ducks Back in a shade of forest green.

I have worked out the best route for digging the trench for the ducting and where it's going to enter the house that will be a sunday job

weather permitting along with the door and frame, will post a pic of the first coat of paint later.

The target for putting in the scope is bank holiday monday but still plenty to do!

Andy

Greetings

Small step forward this afternoon, cut timber and made a door frame and installed it with a step also cut door to size

and started to add coats of paint to seal cut before rain stopped play.

A coat of paint two more to follow when weather dries up.

post-28592-0-41100700-1398892436_thumb.j

Door frame in position

post-28592-0-95491900-1398892454_thumb.j

more later

Andy

Greetings

Roof now covered with rubber membraine door fitted and also has mortice lock fitted and working, Broke my 8mm tap so cant fix adapter to pier top.

Tuesday is earliest I can get a new 8mm tap so have to wait a little longer to do the setting up.

I can dig the trench for cables tomorrow so I can press on with that.

Andy

WOW! Looking good. Can't wait to see the finished article. Just started to flat pack my concrete shed so we can build an obsy. Can't wait to be able to just start the computer up and open the roof instead of lugging everything outside on a tripod just for it to rain lol.

Greetings

yes the time taken to set up all the gear is a barrier to easy observing and imaging and this is a great leap forward in time management for our hobby. I will be moving some of my gear into the obsy today but will be calling friends with workshops that may have a m8 tap to get my pier up and running. I am trenching this morning after my neighbours have woken up and had a coffee ( I don't want to start a big breaker and smash concrete too early ) then run 40mm ducting between house and obsy!

Andy

Greetings

trenching underway but mate next door was on nights last night so no big breaker or concrete cutting gear till later.

post-28592-0-67388200-1399285352_thumb.j

Got to be carful to miss this drain!

post-28592-0-21602400-1399285374_thumb.j

Andy

I put a lamp post in me driveway, went through the water main, it did spurt up in the air, turned it off at my stop valve in the road, made the hole bigger and stuck in a poly pipe connector and some stick greasy type of tape round it, it now has 30" of concrete on it, your doing well, just be careful.....

Greetings

The trenching is finished , now I have a direct connection to the obsy shed waiting to pull through the power , networking control and usb cables. The earth rod going in after work tomorrow just to be safe.

post-28592-0-49427700-1399306979_thumb.j

Still got the pier to tap m8 but I'll bring the tap from workshop tomorrow and that's the last job before being able to mount the NEQ6 and OTA.

Getting close to the trial and tribulations of setting up the remote controls.

Andy

Andy,

That is some progress you have made there - you are going to have a fantastic setup when finished.  I love the solidity that the metal frame gives, and the extra security it should give.  I am well envious, congratulations on your efforts.

Jim

Greetings

Done the m8 tapping now fitted the adapter and moved NEQ6 to the obsy ready to be bolted into position, need to clear out the leftover timber and tools to make room for the OTA and pull through cables.

concreting to finish if the weather stays clear this evening.

I think I can see the first light at the end of the tunnel!

probably get it running before everything is finished just because I can't wait ( Very impatient person ) to try it all out !

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings

Today power was switched on for the first time in the obsy sockets and lights also network fully active!

The light draws closer as do the clouds!!

first light very soon now!

Andy

Archived