Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Roof roller system

Mukv

Greetings

The rollers I've used are from sliding gates and each one supports 200Kgs with the roof being constructed from 50x50 box section steel with 30x30 box section struts it will need that bit extra strength and the best bit it the price http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/0515060__Light_T_Wheel_60x20mm_Round_Groove_Max_200_Kgs , For the rails I have used 16mm solid round bar welded to 50x50 box of the side frames, if you look close you can just make out the shape, all in all this little shed should last a few weeks. I'll post a detailed picture of the rails tomorrow after I get back from work.

Andy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greetings

Roof sub frame welded and sent off for galvanizing, should be back in about a week all bright and shiny! it will need a few mates to lift it onto the base frame but not a problem.

getting close to the walls and door in a few weeks time.

Andy

Greetings

had some reasonable weather today and got some work done on assembly of the wall frames and one side of the door frame,

need a good dry day to fit the roof next week and then its time to fit the walls ( 18mm structural ply ) and same for the roof.

post-28592-0-31890800-1396201596_thumb.j

Added a measured baton to test clearance of the OTA ( can be seen in picture ) and all looks well.

bring it on

Andy

Greetings

Excellent point one of the jobs on the todo list is trenching a 40mm or 65mm duct to the house where everything will be controlled from. The duct will carry 2 powered USB cables 1 CAT5E cable

1 Focus control cable and a screened armoured mains cable for the power, the earth point will be added during this stage of the build.

Andy

Greetings

An update on the roof.. Went to collect the roof from the galvanizers and found that it was too big to go into the galv tanks, they said they could double dip it ie re hang it on the rack upside down but it would cost £350 extra.... it's now back at the workshop in grey metal primer not galv,, oh well!!

I will hopefully fit the rollers and then mount it on the frame this weekend, if your nearby and fancy giving me a hand to lift it into position let me know!

Andy

Greetings

Managed to get the roof home and mounted on top of the base frame, looking good so far. Rollers will be fitted at the weekend after fitting the rails and posts for the outriggers.

post-28592-0-18914300-1396548512_thumb.j

looking good so far!

10 sheets of 18mm structural ply is the next thing on the list,

Andy

Sounds like a plan mate, fag packets and envelopes sound like my kind of system only I think your going to be a bit busy for a while yet with your rock watcher, but the pint is on ice.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings

The rails are still quite rough due to the galvanizing not being dressed for the rollers, I thought it best to let the rollers bed themselves in and make their own smooth track on the rails.

The bearings are also tight because they are new but all things being equal it should not get too much harder to roll when the ply is installed.

next week I will be making the roof locking pins and end stops these will be painted not galv I just need time in the workshop .

Andy

Greetings

Done a little work on the roof arrester system tonight and came up with these little gems to stop the roof in the closed position

post-28592-0-75312400-1397496556_thumb.j

then secure it with a pair of knobs that I haven't made yet that will screw onto the studs.

ETA for completion is errrrr soon 2 weeks ish    BIG " ISH " weather dependant.

Andy

Greetings

A visit to the DIY observatory suppliers and now  I have 10 sheets of 18mm structural plywood 2 sheets have been cut and fitted  then it was time to feed the kids,

A little picture to show progress , The self drilling and tapping screws are working fantastic holding the timber in  position with a little good weather it should look like a shed this weekend!

post-28592-0-48355800-1397850367_thumb.j

Andy

greetings

A little more work today three and a half walls in place just a few more fastenings then time for the roof and a door.

This is a view from the obsy towards the house showing the location of my office or warm room where I control the scope and camera's

post-28592-0-13652900-1397942560_thumb.j

not dug the ducting in yet bet it's just a short run

Andy

Greetings

Fixed more walls and the roof arrester bolt and some of the roof timber.

post-28592-0-70808100-1398023521_thumb.j

post-28592-0-99794100-1398023538_thumb.j

the sides of the rolling roof with the front and rear need cutting maybe tomorrow weather permitting.

Might pick up a door and timber for a frame also tomorrow.

getting closer

Andy

Archived