Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount for a solar scope

After looking through some Hydrogen Alpha scopes at Astrocamp, I promised myself that I'd consider getting a wee solar scope if I ever got a decent bonus - and I have, so I am.

I'm thinking of either a Coronado PST, or Lunt 35. This raises some questions:

- Has anyone compared the two? I've found this thread (Lunt 35 v Coronado PST Shootout) which compares them, but I was wondering if anyone had done a more recent comparison?

- Given that I don't have a tripod of any sort, I have to get a mount. What mount would be a good bet? I'm guessing that an EQ mount wouldn't make much sense (how would you align it)? 

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience to share?

I mount my LS35 (lovely little scope, especially when I got a 12mm blocking filter for the cost of a 6mm) either on my Vixen GP mount, or on a simple home-brew alt-az mount. With the GP (EQ) mount  I simply point the mount north, set the altitude of the polar axis to your latitude, and away you go (you can drift align a bit if you like). This works quite well, I find, given the results:

post-5655-0-36592100-1375698966_thumb.jp

The alt-az mount is fine for observing. Photo-tripods don't work that well, I find. The image below shows me with the little scope during one of my "solar lunches", in this case showing the sun to our secretaries

post-5655-0-34107100-1384355182_thumb.jp

Hi AndyWB, I'm the one that did the comparison review in your link.

I don't think the situation has changed between the PST and L35, same considerations before purchase.

I've had the Lunt 35 for four years, and don't regret buying it. It's great to do astronomy from a town and light pollution is no problem. 

Regards mounting it.   A small EQ mount would work, my club's Solarscope 50 is mounted like that, and only a very rough polar alignment suffices  -  the latitude is pre-set, we just point the polar axis approximately north and view.   Works fine, just the occasional tweak on the declination control to centre the sun which will have drifted north or south a bit  -  no prob.

My Lunt 35 is mounted on an Astro-Tech Voyager alt-az.   No longer stocked by the original supplier, but available with a different name on it from Orion Optics UK.   The popular Vixen Porta would make a very good alternative.

As originally supplied, my L35 had two tube rings and a photo tripod adapter.  I fixed a short length of standard dovetail to the tube rings, they stay permanently on the tube for a fast set up.

Just took a couple of pics outside in poor light, hope they suffice.

Regards, Ed.

post-6906-0-33121000-1389631365_thumb.jp

post-6906-0-27546700-1389631449_thumb.jp

Thanks Ed. Hmm. So if x40 is about the maximum magnification with either scope we're not talking about huge magnifications, so drift wouldn't be that big a deal - so tracking/EQ mounts have little benefit for purely visual. Okay, I'm starting to think of an AZ4 or similar.

Dumb questions, perhaps, but what is a blocking filter? I thought the etalon did the filtering? (Apologies if it's something of a noob question)

And what exactly is the difference between the Lunt 35 normal and 'deluxe' packages? Are the main differences tube rings and the blocking filter? 

I use my solar scopes on a celestron SE mount (Alt Az).  Its great as Celestron do a solar system align option so I just align on the sun and it tracks briliantly.  For grab and go though I use a Vixen porta - the slow motions really help with easy manual tracking.

Solar scopes are a lot of fun!!  Enjoy :smile:

Helen

Thanks Ed. Hmm. So if x40 is about the maximum magnification with either scope we're not talking about huge magnifications, so drift wouldn't be that big a deal - so tracking/EQ mounts have little benefit for purely visual. Okay, I'm starting to think of an AZ4 or similar.

Dumb questions, perhaps, but what is a blocking filter? I thought the etalon did the filtering? (Apologies if it's something of a noob question)

And what exactly is the difference between the Lunt 35 normal and 'deluxe' packages? Are the main differences tube rings and the blocking filter? 

I do think that I was a bit conservative with 40x as a max.  I wrote that almost 4 years ago, and I've found that in very good conditions, high sun in summer and fairly steady seeing, then higher mag is ok, maybe 50 - 55x.   But most of my viewing is done at much lower mags, especially with the low winter sun.

The blocking filter is in the diagonal of the Lunt scopes, works in combo with the front mounted Etalon to isolate the precise wavelength and remove the  harmful rays. Don't know where the blocking filter is on the PST, but it will be in there somewhere.

Main difference between the standard Lunt 35 and the deluxe version is the blocking filter in the diagonal. Standard (like mine) has the B400, deluxe has B600.  The larger B600 has a wider field, shows more sky around the sun. I was told by Simon at the Widescreen Centre that both filters will show the same level of detail with prominences and disc detail.   I think I'd prefer more sky around the sun, and the larger blocking filter is preferred by imagers, not sure why.  I don't know if the B600 has a larger 'sweet spot'  that would be nice, but mine with the B400 does have a larger 'sweet spot' than the PST.   Perhaps the deluxe comes with a sol-finder or eyepiece ?  Not sure.

For those not sure what the 'sweet spot' is -  area of good definition within the visible field of view. If you are outside the 'sweet spot' the sun may be visible, but detail is less or not there at all.

Not knocking the PST at all (see review link earlier) but one other thing I like about the Lunt is the fact I can turn the diagonal / blocking filter to bring the eyepiece to a comfortable position whatever the angle the tube is at, because I do seated observing, and the alt-az mount is a bit low, so that works for me, may not be an issue for someone else's set up.

I've been very impressed by the L35.  I've compared it side by side with my club's Solarscope 50, and a clubmate's Lunt 60.  Prominences were very very similar in all 3.   The more expensive scopes do show much more surface detail on the solar disc, and a larger 'sweet spot'.   And when we tried the double stack filter on the Lunt 60, disc detail was WOW !.        But if it's prominences you want to see, the L 35 is great.

Bet the AZ4 would work well.

HTH, Ed.

• 1 year later...

I use my solar scopes on a celestron SE mount (Alt Az).

Helen, I  don't know what solar scopes you have but I'm privileged to have just acquired a Lunt 60 PT, and I shall be putting it on the Celestron SE mount. I can turn the clamshell through 90° to suit the fork, but the trouble is I find that the plastic housing around the alt drive doesn't allow enough room for the 'scope to mate with the dovetail. Did you have to solve this problem with your set up? What did you end up doing?

Ian

I use my LS60 on an AZ3 mount which is a pleasure to use. The slow motion controls allow me to keep the sun in view with the minimal of effort and it is lightweight enough to carry setup into the garden every break there is in the cloud. These can be picked up cheap used and would hardly break the bank if you were to buy new. I also use my ST102 on it for white light and night time observing so the mount is more than capable of holding a LS35 or PST.

Helen, I  don't know what solar scopes you have but I'm privileged to have just acquired a Lunt 60 PT, and I shall be putting it on the Celestron SE mount. I can turn the clamshell through 90° to suit the fork, but the trouble is I find that the plastic housing around the alt drive doesn't allow enough room for the 'scope to mate with the dovetail. Did you have to solve this problem with your set up? What did you end up doing?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I use a Solarscope 70mm filter on a WO Megrez 72, so just use a standard dovetail which needed no modification.

Helen

I use my Tele-Optic Giro III mount for white light and will be attaching my Lunt 50 Ha to it soon :smile:

I tried using a C-G4 equatorial  mount for a while but just found it a pain to set up and operate. The Alt-Az mounts allow you to maintain a comfortable eyepiece position throughout a session. EQs just seem to put the eyepiece in the most inconvenient places possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived