Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clavius, Copernicus and Sinus Iridum

Ant

The third instalment of my imaging run yesterday was the moon. 

These images were taken with the Skymax127, 2.5 power mate and DMK21. 

I have to admit to getting cold by this point. I also hate using the stock focuser on the DMK - must speak with FLO about an upgraded focuser. So i probably didn't take as much care as I should have done in either framing or focusing.

I'm fairly happy with these, although I think that are a little under exposed. I think that was also the issue with my high power Jupiter AVIs - I'll know for next time as I hate throwing 10Gb of Jupiter data in the bin :(

Thanks for looking...

Ant

Thanks Ash. I agree the little Skymax127 really does punch above it's weight.

To think that this little inexpensive scope can image craters as small as 4miles across! And that was the smallest crater I could find where I could verify the size. I reckon I'm down to about a mile :)

I might look at an electric focuser then, but the movement in the mirror may be the majority of the problem. But in time I'll give most things a try :)

Jules, I have the kit to do all sorts of imaging, I posted a Jupiter image and some solar yesterday as well :)

I did get one Jupiter worth keeping Ralph, so not a complete waste, it was just the barlowed attempts that failed - under exposed I think.

Jack of all trades, master of none... That's me. :/

Cheers

Ant

I might look at an electric focuser then, but the movement in the mirror may be the majority of the problem. But in time I'll give most things a try :)

Mirror shift when the focuser changes direction is definitely noticeable.  What I've found now I've motorised mine however is that I can turn the focuser so slowly that it's obvious where and when that starts and stops and it's therefore much easier to account for especially as there's no other source of vibration when the focuser is moving, such as my fat fingers on the focuser knob.

Unless the seeing is unusually steady what I usually end up doing is moving the mirror back and forth through the focus point quite a number of times to get a feel for where it really should be, which is much easier when you can say "this bit is down to mirror shift" and "this is the focus actually changing".  By the time I'm done I'm probably actually moving the focuser in far smaller amounts than is even possible to do manually with a good degree of control.

James

Cheers Luke :)

James, what electric focuser solution have you used? Is it an off the shelf product or a DIY make it work fix?

It's the standard Skywatcher motorised focuser, but I modded it to work with the Mak.  I thought I wrote it up in the DIY section.  I'll have a look for it.

James

Archived