Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I just saw....

Jupiter!

Not very exciting I know (except to me) but its the first time out with new 200p dob and first looked at the moon. Wow! Then I swung around and without any trouble found Jupiter. I was literally jumping up and down! First time in my life I've seen it for real. I could see 2 bands, all the moons. When I used the barlow it was just amazing.

Can't explain how I feel right now... :D

I JUST SAW JUPITER

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jupiter!

Not very exciting I know (except to me) but its the first time out with new 200p dob and first looked at the moon. Wow! Then I swung around and without any trouble found Jupiter. I was literally jumping up and down! First time in my life I've seen it for real. I could see 2 bands, all the moons. When I used the barlow it was just amazing.

I JUST SAW JUPITER

You did explain how you feel now :-). We've all been there!

well done

Jupiter!

I JUST SAW JUPITER

Now these are the posts i like to read, I was the same the other week but only got to see the moon a couple of days ago, anyone would think i had never seen it before. lol 

Happy Stargazing  :grin:

Thanks guys, just come in again. been out there a couple of hours.  I hate it when my nephew says "awesome" all the time. I think the last 2 hours have been actually awesome in the real sense of the word!

Excited to be taking my first steps

Thanks from a newbie.

Saw your post and I looked outside and there was no clouds. Only second time occurance of me being at home (travel a lot) and no clouds since I've had the scope.

Got everything outside and saw Jupitors moons for the first time. WOW.

Then went and dragged the wife away from Emmerdale so she could look. There's no beating first time experiences, it always brings out the kid in me.

Thanks again.

So my first night out with my 200p had me dreaming about planets! I woke up for a second wanting to put the news on to see if the mars manned lander had touched down yet.

Fingers crossed I will be out tonight with a flask of tea, a chair and my thermals on!

Wondering what lenses might improve my observing, I have the standard 25, 10mm and a Barlow lense which isn't a great quality one I don't think.i was very very satisfied with what I could see last night, it exceeded my expectations so will be happy just using what I have for the time being, but if the re is a particular eye piece that is recommended I would make it first on the list!

Thanks for all your responses, I felt a bit silly! most on here are seasoned astronomers and then there's me getting giddy after seeing Jupiter and the moon!

Jupiter is quite a sight isn't it. I have a look every time I'm out lately and _every_ time so far the GRS has not been on display. This must be some sort of sods law like the one of clear nights only when the moon is out and that clouds come just when you've finished perfect setup :D

As for eyepieces, there is no exact answer really. For planets you want higher magnification, but there's not often much benefit to too much magnification. Probably stick with something like a 175-200x as a step up from the 10mm. If the 200P is a skyliner then it has a 1200mm focal length so a 7mm or even a 6 or 5mm would give more magnification, or to start with try a 2x barlow (if you have one) with the 10mm and see how you like it. If your 200P is not a skyliner it has a 1000mm focal length, those eyepieces would still be a good match for it.

If you don't have a barlow it's worth getting, particularly for planets. A 2x or maybe even higher. Then arrange your eyepiece mm so that with and without barlow none double up, that will give you a nice range of views to use depending on target and seeing.

I've been using the 7mm Celestron xcel lx (at 1000mm FL so 142x) and I quite like it (and it's not too pricey) but also BST eyepieces seem to score well for the cost. You can of course spend a fortune on very expensive eyepieces, I don't know much about those, but I think you could get something good with a modest outlay that is a step up from the standard kit Plossls and that would be a good investment if you're into planets.

Hi thank you for that really helpful comment.

I do have a Barlow x2 which with the 10mm was great, although a clear view of Jupiter kept fading in and out. But when it was right, it was just lovely. I tho I texted about 30 people saying "I can see Jupiter!"

It is a 200p skyliner, I bout it second hand and was a bit worried as I got it quite cheaply! but t performed beautifully. My dog and partner were very jealous of. The attention it got last night. I have a feeling they need to get used to it!

I am reading about he 6mm BST as a possible lense upgrade, not sure where I can buy them from! will have a look on fleabay and FLO.

Again thank you for your comments.

I believe it is. I've not used one myself but for that price I'd be tempted! It will give exactly 200x magnification, which is probably about the limit for normal skies with good seeing. The sky won't always be up to it, but when it is I imagine the view would be great.

Congrats on your first viewing,  It still blows my mind every time I look at the wonders in our skies! :grin:, Try & get the best EP's you can afford if you can, Televue are one of the best but like all good things not cheap :smiley:

started of with the BST lenses from Alan at Skies the limit they are great lenses for the money of £49.00 Quids each,

Hi thank you for that really helpful comment.

I do have a Barlow x2 which with the 10mm was great, although a clear view of Jupiter kept fading in and out. But when it was right, it was just lovely. I tho I texted about 30 people saying "I can see Jupiter!"

It is a 200p skyliner, I bout it second hand and was a bit worried as I got it quite cheaply! but t performed beautifully. My dog and partner were very jealous of. The attention it got last night. I have a feeling they need to get used to it!

I am reading about he 6mm BST as a possible lense upgrade, not sure where I can buy them from! will have a look on fleabay and FLO.

Again thank you for your comments.

Buy yourself a Starguider from skies_unlimited £49. The Starguiders come in 8,12,15,18 & 25mm format. You wont find a much better Eyepiece for the price. Buy two, compare, keep them if you like them, or return one for a refund. A great deal, and super quick too. The Starguiders are £6 more but have the 60° AFOV rather than the 58° your looking at. I've got a TMB PII  6mm that is only 58° the difference in TFOV is noticeable to me. I'm returning the TMB. The 5mm should be here today.

EDIT* My Starguiders were purchased in the order of their listing, if that's any help. I haven't regretted  or would have changed the sequence. My 25mm was second hand 1 Month old, at a much reduced price at auction.

Post arrived. No EP`s? Aaaaaagggh! what shalll I do jibber jibber!

Well done, Jupiter is nice i think Saturn a little later in the year is nicer....something else to look forward to.....July/August time...

Or get up in the early morning! I had a sleepless night in the middle of last month - I was out at 0600 looking at Mars and Saturn was over the horizon. Should be about 15-degees up at 0600 in the UK.

Archived