NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion reprocessed.

ollypenrice

I took and posted the original three years ago but was becoming increasing embarrassed by the processing! Armed with new telescopic data to enchnace the Witch, M42 and the Horse and Flame I rebuilt if from scratch and am rather happier, though I made some errors at the capture stage as well. SInce I've sold the Samyang 85 lens and Atik 4000 I originally used, there isn't much I can do about that now! 

This had 6x9 hours all in, HaRGB, plus the telescopic overlays for the famous bits.

ORION%202014%20reprocessWEB-XL.jpg

Olly

Bigger http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-gfQmRVJ/0/X3/ORION%202014%20reprocessWEB-X3.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olly, that is beautiful. I saw the first version of this and found it inspirational. Such a fantastic view of this familiar constellation, but amazing to see it in all it's glory. Just looked at the previous version again and this version is definitely an improvement. The structures stand out way better with the stars dropped back.

I have to say though.... Another strip at the bottom really would complete the picture though... Now running for cover....!

Lovely image. For comparison here is one from APOD, Orion from Head to Toe.

Another one from a shorter FL camera lens (so a single frame) is here, by Stéphane Guisard and Robert Gendler. http://sguisard.astrosurf.com/Pagim/Orion_constellation-HRVB-50mm.html

Interesting to compare the results from three different focal lengths. 

Olly

I have to say Olly that I prefer your rendition to the other two you have linked to.

I think that the APOD one just looks too soft and hazy and the other one, especially in the corners has some rather dubious stars. Just my opinion, I'm not blowing smoke anywhere in particular :grin:

Thanks. To apply the telescopic data I resize and realign it in Registar (two clicks) and then paste the main image on top in Ps before gradually erasing as much of the top layer as looks right.

I'm still addicted to Registar and can't imaging imaging life without it.

Olly

Fabulous work Olly, may be you could rotate it by 90 Degree just to see the horse in usual way.

Mark

Ooooh, I think it has to North is up, really. (Unless you're an Aussie!) I suppose an Equadorian could cope with it rotated 90...

:grin: lly

Orion has been my favourite constellation and it's an amazing sight at this staggering scale and depth Olly, I think the witches head looks more like a falcon in flight.

Just above Cursa is a very prominent fine v or arrow shaped ha line, which I haven't noticed before and don't see in Stellarium/CdC - is this a catalogued/recognised feature.

Fabulous work Olly, may be you could rotate it by 90 Degree just to see the horse in usual way.

Mark

It's Orion the Hunter, not Orion the Slumberer!

I have to say Olly that I prefer your rendition to the other two you have linked to.

Aesthetically, Olly's image is my favorite.

...I think the witches head looks more like a falcon in flight.

To me, it looks like a leaping dolphin. Simply superb.

Proper job that sir ...  :laugh:

A quick question , at the top-right hand edge of the nebulosity surrounding Meissa there's a lovely region that almost appears like another Horsehead , a dark cloud in front of the dust , does this have a particular name/number ... ?

It looks a lovely target for a closer view ...  :smiley:

Pulled this off Wikisky if it helps ....

post-21219-0-24639900-1389371443_thumb.p

Very nice indeed Olly. You just have to adore the colour representation in Orion. So is this a two frame mosaic at 85mm preumably at around f2.8? Sorry had not seen the original and dont see a link.

Thanks. No, this is a 6 panel on the 15x15mm chip of the Atik 4000. I ended up stopping the lens down to F4, I think. I could probably have gone faster had I been able to perfect the chip distance, which I suspect I never did. I also used the diaphragm to stop down. On later camera lens efforts I used a front aperture mask so as to avoid the diff spikes.

Steve, good work on Barnard 30. I'm a Barnard fan (what a wonderful man he was!) so at some point I'd love to take a closer look. Thanks for that.

Olly

I have to say though.... Another strip at the bottom really would complete the picture though... Now running for cover....!

I'd vote for a bit to the left and get the rosette in there as well ;)

Olly, it's a stunner for sure :icon_salut:

I'd vote for a bit to the left and get the rosette in there as well ;)

Olly, it's a stunner for sure :icon_salut:

A  BIT????

:grin: lly

Edit; I sold the kit to avoid being tempted into this sort of madness. On the QT, my involvement with Mr O'Donoghue has got me into something worse...

Archived