SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DARK SKIES 2014 UK

Even where people do live, can be designated as "dark skies". There is a town a few miles south of me on the east coast of Ireland, called Greystones. It has a population of 30,000 (2011 census) and it is said to have some of the darkest skies along the east coast, anywhere south of Dublin. No wonder ive been looking to buy a house there for a long time. I was out there today again looking for a house, but there are none on the market. :sad:

It's depressing to think that we are increasingly less able to have access to decent dark skies, and things will only get worse. I am finding myself having to travel further to set up for a decent viewing session, and it's starting to feel as if trying to observe from my own garden is becoming useless, except for really easy objects.

Phil

It's depressing to think that we are increasingly less able to have access to decent dark skies, and things will only get worse. I am finding myself having to travel further to set up for a decent viewing session, and it's starting to feel as if trying to observe from my own garden is becoming useless, except for really easy objects.

Phil

I agree with you and i think that is why Astro-imaging is so popular. You can take images from LP areas and easily rid those images of LP in post-processing.

Its an even more expensive way to do astronomy then simple observing, but i dont think you really need to spent a small fortune to do it. It all depends on your own expectations. 

I think if you have a motorised/tracking scope,SLR camera and maybe even a light pollution filter................you are pretty good to go. 

The idea is fast becoming very attractive to me.

Phil

Hi Phil. Your reply is basically the reason i posted it.. i agree about how depressing it is with the lack of dark sky areas without having to travel and for some it is quite some distances. 

But if anyone is planning a trip or holiday week/weekend that link has the info they need.. 

Since joining this site i have found it's members are from all over the world, now i doubt they would choose UK has there stargazing holiday but if they did again this would be useful to them.

All in all i am just trying to give something back to a community that has gave me so much in such a short time.

thanks

Even where people do live, can be designated as "dark skies". There is a town a few miles south of me on the east coast of Ireland, called Greystones. It has a population of 30,000 (2011 census) and it is said to have some of the darkest skies along the east coast, anywhere south of Dublin. No wonder ive been looking to buy a house there for a long time. I was out there today again looking for a house, but there are none on the market. :sad:

Yeah this is true, i was just making a point that dark skies mainly are very rural areas.

Ps. I take my hat off to you sir looking to buy an house to help with your stargazing. COMMITMENT at its finest/craziest?? lol good look with the search 

dark skies ? no chance around my town all the supermarkets are light up like blackpool seafront and the A1 is the same. everybody is just so paranoid about the dark, i doubt the vast majority of peoples eyes have never become fully light adjusted in there life! 

dark skies ? no chance around my town all the supermarkets are light up like blackpool seafront and the A1 is the same. everybody is just so paranoid about the dark, i doubt the vast majority of peoples eyes have never become fully light adjusted in there life! 

I know your pain! I also live where to the back of the house is a major retail park which is like living in las vegas with all the lights and to the front a major road also lit up like a runway. 

Bit far to go and access not always easy, but North Korea has very dark skies....not that they want them though. I have been up on the border with N Korea this week working. The difference looking North and then South is striking.

Sounds great! are you able to take any pictures/images?

I wanted to but was advised taking pictures across the border with all the military presence was not welcome.

It was -15C there yesterday and the hills in N. Korea have been totally stripped of trees for firewood. Not so on the S. Korean side.

My error i did not actually realize you said working on the boarder, that itself must be an experience. 

I wanted to but was advised taking pictures across the border with all the military presence was not welcome.

It was -15C there yesterday and the hills in N. Korea have been totally stripped of trees for firewood. Not so on the S. Korean side.

My error i did not actually realize you said working on the boarder, that itself must be an experience. 

I've always thought that Devon is a beautiful place to to stargazing, you don't even need to take a scope with you, just yourself and a flask of hot tea!

I am lucky to have family near Devon, Cornwall to be exact. Unfortunately tho we don't get to travel down as much as we would like. But i remember around 9 years ago last time i was there i was on the beach well into the night  and i was looking up in amazement ( with the naked eye as you say ).. when i went back to my auntie and uncles house i mentioned the stars to them and my uncle then showed me pictures and videos he had done of Jupiter and it's Galilean moons, Saturn and its beautiful rings, and Our Moon in amazing detail.

I will never forget that night.

I've got a place down there, somewhere off road, away from the cities... You blink and you would miss the place driving through.

Hardly any light pollution, I would go to the top of a hill and lie in the grass looking up. One time, amongst the stars, I spotted what I think was a satellite. It was flying around in a perfect square shape. I was very young, and my big brother was telling me what the constellations where. I believe that it was in this humble little town, I fell in love with the (hardly)known. :)

Archived