We live and learn!

Well I'm loving my new scope. I had my first telescope WOW on the night that I received it (Jupiter) and tonight (being VERY patient with the clouds) I had another as I gazed lovingly at Orion's Nebular on and off for about half an hour.

I then did a slow tour just stopping at stars that caught my eye.

I did all this just using the four directional buttons on the hand controller. I've set it up to track...but it bores the hell out of me!

I've decided that when I can afford it, I will be getting myself a non motorised mount, as good as they are for newbies like me, I can't help getting the feeling that I'm somehow cheating myself by using it.

I know that may sound a bit strange, but when I first started to properly "look up" with my binos, EVERYTHING I saw was a new WOW moment, and it was ME that was tracking them!

I should of paid the extra £70 and got the "normal" mount...but as the saying goes...we live and learn!

Or is it just a case of, I'm getting old?

. I've set it up to track...but it bores the hell out of me!

......I never used the option to motor my Celestron, but had the same prior thoughts, If this thing  tracks, what else is there to do?  can I actually touch the thing or am I devoid of any contact, apart from the fiddly set up. For just simple observation, long live the Dobsonian   :smiley:

My first mount was an EQ-5 with tracking motors. The good part is that you can disconnect the clutches and it is a totally manual non-electric version, then reconnect and it will track. Great learner. Because of that I made sure that my second big scope also works without electricity. With dual encoders I can operate the mount either with full goto and tracking, move it by hand but use tracking , or just drop all electricity and use it as a manual "stupid" dob. 

Haven't used my GOTO in anger yet nor my reflector much - the refractor is so easy to set up and with clouds around I need to get set up quick or it maybe gone.  I also agree wandering around is great and when an object I'm looking for (even the moon :grin:  :grin:  :grin: ) comes into view I get chuffed. 

But I can see the GOTO being good when taking my niece and other little ones on a tour of the night sky.  Their patience would be well tested by my navigational skills  :rolleyes:  

ps: Tonight here in Hampshire UK the forecast says another opportunity tonight and Jupiter will show off all 4 moons :smiley: .  And same for you Dezmo1 so happy sky touring

Archived