Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light with modded 60D

PhotoGav

So, here it is, the first light with my self-modded 60D. It had to be the Heart Nebula to make a comparison with my pre-modification effort.

post-29321-0-20176600-1388693766_thumb.p

It's 9 x 1200s Subs, with darks, flats and bias. Shot at 800 ISO. ED80 with focal reducer. HEQ5 with PHD guiding. Stacked in Nebulosity 3 and processed in PS-CS3.

The other difference was the pre-modded subs were shot using an Astronomik CLS Clip Filter, whereas the post-modded subs are with the IDAS D1 filter.

For the sake of comparison here's the pre-modded image:

post-29321-0-67470500-1388694104_thumb.p

I'm still dreaming of an Atik 480EX, but I'm certainly happy with the improvement that comes with the modified DSLR....

Very rich, big difference its made, very nice.. :)

The problem with long DSLR images is that the star colour gets a bit washed out, perhaps a re visit to gather a star layer using some short subs.. ?

That's very interesting that you should say that about star colour. I suspected that subs over about 10 minutes do get washed out. I was planning to run some experiments, but you have confirmed my suspicions... So, more subs of shorter length will have to be gathered!

Hats off for being brave enough to do the mod and hats off again for the result! It really is very impressive.

Actually I think you may have enough star colour to work with as is, though some shorts for star colour might help. Combining them isn't always easy. If you have Noel's Actions you might have enough star colour round the edges for it to work. It's a great routine.

Olly

Thank you Olly. I'm certainly happy with the improvement. Oh for some imaging time... England is truly rubbish weather wise at the moment!

Yes, I ran Noel's Increase Star Colour Action and it did enhance them a little, perhaps I just need to run it a couple more times... Will give that a try.

I've no wish to buck the trend too much but I'm rather impressed by the un-modded shot ! It should give some heart to those who aren't as brave as you.

I'd be proud of either in my portfolio :)

Dave.

Thank you Olly. I'm certainly happy with the improvement. Oh for some imaging time... England is truly rubbish weather wise at the moment!

Yes, I ran Noel's Increase Star Colour Action and it did enhance them a little, perhaps I just need to run it a couple more times... Will give that a try.

I'd do that, but do it to a layer and then, maybe, select the brighter stars (another action) expand, feather and erase the inverse of that selection. The star colour thing can have side effects. Also select the stars and carefully lower the upper part of the Curve. This can boost saturation. Stars are difficult!! Harry Page hates mine...

Olly

Thank you folks.

Good one Olly, I will give that all a try...

Dave, indeed, I was fairly happy with the un-modded version, but the noise in it was absolutely awful and the resulting image has gone very soft with the removal of that noise. The modded version needed much less stretching, so has retained much sharper details.

Archived