NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from North Yorkshire

Elara

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

Thank you for your warm welcome  :laugh:

Yes I'm lucky to have dark skies nearby, but first a little re-learning is necessary and in particular the purchase of some reasonable 'kit'.

If, in addition to Peter's helpful comment, you can add any further advice on my question/situation, I'd appreciate it 

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/203832-some-help-and-advice-please-on-this-potential-setup-meade-uhc-lx200-12-eq6-pro/

Graham

Hi Graham and a warm welcome to SGL.

I looked at your above link and for your budget I think you will have quite a good choice of setup. I don't know anything about SCT's, only that I looked at the Nexstar 6 and realised that if I wanted to do Astro Photography I would need an equatorial mount - Nexstar was Alt-Az mount, so I bought the kit in my signature which has the advantage of a short focal length. I did look at a SW200 with an EQ6 mount as they seem to be a very popular and well recommended by SGL members, but because of weight and portability for me, I chose the smaller setup.

The only problem that you may have is that if you buy kit to suit you now you may not be future proofing it - as you may quickly outgrow it. I would take some more time to decide exactly what you want to achieve from this hobby and buy accordingly.

Best of luck on your Astro journey.

p.s. I also have an indoors AP setup using Stellarium and EOS (for camera control) and considering I only started in late September it's amazing how fast you can progress, hence my caution to you about buying the right kit.

Hi Graham and a warm welcome to SGL.

I looked at your above link and for your budget I think you will have quite a good choice of setup. I don't know anything about SCT's, only that I looked at the Nexstar 6 and realised that if I wanted to do Astro Photography I would need an equatorial mount - Nexstar was Alt-Az mount, so I bought the kit in my signature which has the advantage of a short focal length. I did look at a SW200 with an EQ6 mount as they seem to be a very popular and well recommended by SGL members, but because of weight and portability for me, I chose the smaller setup.

The only problem that you may have is that if you buy kit to suit you now you may not be future proofing it - as you may quickly outgrow it. I would take some more time to decide exactly what you want to achieve from this hobby and buy accordingly.

Best of luck on your Astro journey.

p.s. I also have an indoors AP setup using Stellarium and EOS (for camera control) and considering I only started in late September it's amazing how fast you can progress, hence my caution to you about buying the right kit.

Hi Brenda - thank you for the very helpful insight. I hadn't really looked at the Newtonian option but the Skywatcher setup that you have is certainly worth considering.

I wonder if the MODS can move your answer to the 'Equipment' section of the forum please in order to help others and add to the knowledge base ?

Graham

Thanks to everyone again for such a warm welcome. I will be getting  my new 'rig' (as I like to call it) tomorrow. Although I would like to get into the imaging side of things in the future, I have decided that given my very fortunate position, I would go for a good solid visual setup that provides some(?) level of future flexibility. I'll be posting my first experiences and hope and trust that this adds to the knowledge base for other newcomers and those pondering similar setups.

Cheers  :smile:

Graham 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome from me

Pat

Welcome to SGL Graham.

Glad Marcus has been able to help you out.  He will be at the Dalby Forest Starfest that we organise each August.

Welcome to sgl Graham.

Many thanks for the warm welcome - my s/h Meade is in for a full service with Telescope House  - thought this a good move given they are Official UK Meade distributors & I get a certificate of service/repair which is useful. 

Here's hoping for clear skies for the Tan Hill Star Camp http://www.grovers.biz/Grovers2k3/pages/telescopes.htm

Cheers

Graham

Archived