Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

large sunspot coming around east limb..

nytecam

Good shout, I keep forgetting about trying with the safety Baader solar film held in front of the prime focus eyeball. Must give it a shot!

I saw the new AR in hydrogen alpha first and it looked impressive in that never mind in white light. :cool:  The white light view was one of my favourite views of the sun so far. :cool:

Thanks, Shaun, to clarify, I meant my large filter that has ND5 solar film on it. I definitely would not hold up an unmounted strip of film to the Sun, and I will be giving my filter a check for pinholes first.

Saw it today in Ha through the PST, looks huge! Bet it looks amazing in white light, will give it a go next chance I have.

Btw, I did view a naked eye sunspot a little while ago through a sheet of Solar film, just holding it up. I was very careful to have a good grip of it, and it wasn't windy at the time! Obviously a mounted filter is much easier. Just be careful.

Cheers,

Stu

I have glasses left over from the Venus  transit somewhere, maybe I should dig them out.

Better yet I  should get cracking on making a filter for some of the new roll of ND3.8 I got for Christmas.

Had a butchers at the Sun today at 12.40UT with the 10" and full aperture solar filter. At x125, AR 1944 showed as two major umbral areas with six other spots in close proximity. Think this one's gonna be interesting folks!!!

Les

I tried my filter safely held in front of my eyes. Not sure if I saw it!

I thought I got it, but then the little black spot started moving around the disc!! What do you think, was that the after image?

Mr Ward, thought you might be okay :) The storm got to us about 10.30, arriving with a huge gust of wind :-o

I got another chance this avo and if I had a bucket list, that would be one thing ticked off :laugh:  It was relatively easy for me to see once I had the right technique. I found it much easier to see with the filter about one foot away from my eyes rather than right up to my eyes, like I tried this morning...

Very excited to have seen it! Thanks, nytecam, for the heads up :laugh:

Archived