Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M1 The Crab Nebula (almost 24hours with a DSLR) finished at last!!

Bizibilder

I think I have finally finished my attempt at the crab nebula - Five long sessions with a total exposure time of 23 hours.  I have made several attempts at processing and think I may be somewhere near - but it has been a struggle!

Details:

Dates:

Jan 12th 2013  2 hours 55 min

Dec 4th 2013   3 hours 00 min

Dec 25th 2013  3 hours 45 min

Dec 27th 2013  6 hours 40 min

Dec 28th 2013  6 hours 40 min

Evostar ED120 APO, with reducer/flattener on an EQ6/EQMOD guided using PHD.  Modded Canon 1000D at ISO 800.

5min subs - a total of 276 making 23hours 00mins.  Processed in DSS and PS CS5.

The Full DSLR frame has been cropped to 2000px square.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7368/11632146924_91451fae21_o.jpg   - Click this link to see original full size, A reduced version is below:
29Dec2013M123hoursFull.jpg
Just the nebula full size:
29Dec2013M123hourscrop.jpg

Good work, I will hopefully be back on this target myself again at some point if we get the chance.

Have you tried running a deconvolution on it? For objects like this I find it brings out a lot of hidden detail. I may have gone a bit overboard, but you get the general idea. You will need to view full size to see the effect...I also reduced the star size and boosted the saturation a slight bit...sorry I tend to get a bit carried away sometimes.

post-27141-0-86500100-1388416241_thumb.p

I like the colour on this one. You see so many un-natural looking images it's refreshing to see things as they actually are.

That's a very interesting question?  What are the true colour of deepsky objects when you're on their doorstep?  Assuming the Crab's feeble photons, for example, were enough to trigger my colour vision [doubtful as they don't do much from 6000LY!] what colours would I see?  Clearly my human colour vision would trump any alien native to the M1 zone :cool:

That's a very interesting question?  What are the true colour of deepsky objects when you're on their doorstep?  Assuming the Crab's feeble photons, for example, were enough to trigger my colour vision [doubtful as they don't do much from 6000LY!] what colours would I see?  Clearly my human colour vision would trump any alien native to the M1 zone :cool:

I believe that you, if your eyes retinas were enough sensitive to colour, and if you got enough light into them, you would see approximately the same colours as a basic camera, with the exception of the angle of the object through atmosphere and possible alterations done to the camera. That though, would require extremely large eyes:-) In reality, since the most sensitive cells in the retina respons to black and white, ( rods ), I guess you would see very little colour even at close proximity. But I am no eye doctor so maybe someone else correct me if Im wrong! Interesting thoughts though!

Archived