Is Petersfield, Hants a good place?

emadmoussa

There's a possibility we'll be buying a house in the outskirts of Petersfield in Hampshire...just made an offer and we'll see.

I've done my homework and it seems like a nice place to live. However, I'm not sure ''astronomically" speaking how it is. Petersfield is surrounded by country side and I'm assuming the skies won't be that bad if you live slightly towards the town's edge? I'd appreciate any reflections on the subject.

Thanks!

I'm moving down to Portsmouth area this year and I've been and observed a few times near where you are.butser hill is close by and is rated highly locally but I've not had any good times there but I've been unlucky.It's also popular with local people looking into parked cars if you know what I mean.butser ancient farm is rated highly but you need to join hantsastro as it's a private viewing site.a friend of gf viewed there and says it's good.you should go on the hantsastro forum or website and have a look.let me know if you find any good areas for the future :)

That's good to know. Have you ever considered building a small obsy?

Yes I have Imad, I am thinking of getting an extension done as it happens, I will make sure it has an accessible flat roof so I can put the scope on it.

I would like an observatory but I am a bit conscious of burglars :smiley:

Yes I have Imad, I am thinking of getting an extension done as it happens, I will make sure it has an accessible flat roof so I can put the scope on it.

I would like an observatory but I am a bit conscious of burglars :smiley:

An automated machine gun should the job for you. :D :D

Someone who has been posting about an observatory/observing platform build recently lives right on the outskirts of Petersfield if I recall correctly and might be good to ask for advice.  I just can't recall who at the moment :)

James

Someone who has been posting about an observatory/observing platform build recently lives right on the outskirts of Petersfield if I recall correctly and might be good to ask for advice.  I just can't recall who at the moment :)

James

Demonperformer, perhaps?

James

Last time I moved, I had a 4hr train journey - made FIVE changes etc.

I got things fairly right "astronomically". Not sure about the place... :p

But the general advice might be to travel up there for a day or so. 

Suss out what the area is like... by day, night, at weekends. For an

important decision... stay locally... sleep in your car if necessary? ;)

Anyone buying a house should obviously view the property first. If your interests are astronomy, then surely you would check the views from the garden as much as you would inspect the house. I would never buy a house with a garden that faced North with obstructed views.

My advice Emad would be to go over on a clear evening and check it out. At the same time, you get an idea of evening activity in the area.

Archived