Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lodestar: M35 OC

nytecam

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the image is created using a video camera ... like all the other images in the Video Astronomy forum ....  :rolleyes:

Steve, the Lodestar isn't a Video camera. It is an Imaging Camera. That's why I am asking.

The above is an Image taken by an Imaging Camera.

Does that make a SBIG Imaging camera image OK in here too?

Just wanting to define the difference. 

OK, anyone can shoot me down here if they have an answer, but why are you posting Images in the Video section Maurice?

I would expect images like this above to be posted in the imaging section.

Thank Ken - glad you liked it :-)

Hi Ken

This was originally the video and electronically assisted viewing social group when we did not have our own forum.

The primary aim should be near instant gratification and not the capture of huge amounts of data for subsequent processing. Short exposure CCD captures with a some processing are fine - interestingly when you try posting these in the imaging forum the usual reply is "nice but you could do with more data..."

I for one believe there is room for all forms of electronically assisted viewing here in the VA section on SGL. I'd also like to hear from any one using image intensifier technology.

Clear skies

Paul

Thank Ken - glad you liked it :-)

Yes Maurice, it is a lovely image with fantastic star colours. No debating that. But I still don't understand why you keep classifying your images as Video.

It is an Image from an Imager.

Does that mean I can post all my old single frame images from my Modified ToUcam and say they are Video as well? To me that isn't video. The ToUcam was modified to be a Guider/Imager just like a Lodestar, so I don't believe the images from it would belong in a Video section. 

Not picking on your work because the above image is very good, just trying to define what is a Screen Grab or saved frame of 'Video' and what is 'Imaging'?

Hi KenThis was originally the video and electronically assisted viewing social group when we did not have our own forum. The primary aim should be near instant gratification and not the capture of huge amounts of data for subsequent processing. Short exposure CCD captures with a some processing are fine - interestingly when you try posting these in the imaging forum the usual reply is "nice but you could do with more data..."I for one believe there is room for all forms of electronically assisted viewing here in the VA section on SGL. I'd also like to hear from any one using image intensifier technology. Clear skiesPaul

Thanks Paul - couldn't have said it better eg room for EVERYONE without exclusion in the spirit of the Forum :-) I too would like to see more EOD - come on Peter - I expect Ken would too :-)

Hi Ken

This was originally the video and electronically assisted viewing social group when we did not have our own forum.

The primary aim should be near instant gratification and not the capture of huge amounts of data for subsequent processing. Short exposure CCD captures with a some processing are fine - interestingly when you try posting these in the imaging forum the usual reply is "nice but you could do with more data..."

I for one believe there is room for all forms of electronically assisted viewing here in the VA section on SGL. I'd also like to hear from any one using image intensifier technology.

Clear skies

Paul

Ahhhh, that is different Paul.

When you call it the same name as CN do (video and electronically assisted viewing) then it will encompass many cameras and electronic devices.

With the section name of 'Video Astronomy' it is very restrictive and wondered what is actually considered 'Video' in here.

Yes, VEAA is a far better fit for the Lodestar and Image Intensifiers etc.

I was going by the Forum section name.

Forgive me for being ignorant in these matters , but how would you define the difference , I thought that the Lodestar and Mallincam were both CCD cameras but from different ends of the price range , both seem to use the same kind of capturing integration .

The results differ somewhat but that would be expected given the lack of cooling etc in the Lodestar .

My humble SPC900NCs are video webcams but are used as imaging cameras ( not their original intended use ... ) they don't give the same results as a PG Chameleon but are doing the same thing from the lower end of the ladder .

Ahhhh, that is different Paul.

When you call it the same name as CN do (video and electronically assisted viewing) then it will encompass many cameras and electronic devices.

With the section name of 'Video Astronomy' it is very restrictive and wondered what is actually considered 'Video' in here.

Yes, VEAA is a far better fit for the Lodestar and Image Intensifiers etc.

I was going by the Forum section name.

That was a struggle Ken - yes SGL quotes"Video Astronomy : a board dedicated to electronic assisted observing and imaging'' - so peace and good will to all...

PS: my humble M35 piccy post has snowballed to almost 'hot' status :-)

That was a struggle Ken - yes SGL quotes"Video Astronomy : a board dedicated to electronic assisted observing and imaging'' - so peace and good will to all...

PS: my humble M35 piccy post has snowballed to almost 'hot' status :-)

No struggle at all Maurice. Just me not reading properly.

I have never noticed the sub-heading before (a board dedicated to electronic assisted observing and imaging), but now it is pointed out it is obvious  :tongue:

You guys sound like my x mrs family start a fight in a empty house...if bruce Springsteen made a camera n it was cheap n worked I would buy it.....im no here to be judge n jury on any of above comments cos I like all you guys work...ok..our type of image capture is newish but does it need to pigeon holed..its different from true ap done by the opionated gurus of astrophotography that have the ..this is the minimum you require war cry..nice variety is spice of life and a nice image is a nice image......but a thought came to me while writing this...if I was using a dslr on a 10 second exposure and a video cam at x512 ...both cameras are basically accumulate an image over a period of time...so I believe. ..ok only video does it on basically a loop until you hit off button ..dslr is on a shutter release off.....so I think if I and other have a very nice answer to this conundrum couple of days before Christmas and it may help me sleep at night...

What defines video astronomy for me is the ability to plug a camera into the telescope, the other end of the cable to a combi unit, press ON to see the image and RECORD if I wish to save it. I've currently no interest in stacking or post processing any of my data but have no problem with enjoying the results of those who do.   :smiley: 

I would like to post a grabbed Mallincam frame on an imaging forum and gauge the reaction there. For me, ANY post processing disqualifies an image from this forum. Once that comes into play you are no longer "electronically assisted" observing but imaging. Having done both types, astrovideo and CCD/ DSLR, I can tell the difference.

Thanks Maurice, good to hear we also like other "electronically assisted" observers... was worried I'd have nowhere to go with my IIE. I'll have to try some images with my phone!

Dxvid55 is giving the gen1 cascade build a try, we'll have to try a comparison sometime. Not many of us out here. My new year wish is to have more useful observing evenings in 2014, clouds are getting boring!

PEterW

PS nice M35 shot, its nice as it has a fainter Ngc cluster next to it.

post-32824-0-14000300-1387745436_thumb.jHere is my version of M 35 which includes NGC 2158, the smaller more distant cluster beside M 35.  You can see that 2158 is much more distant by the reddening of the stars (M 35 3000 LYs and 2158 is 17,000 LY away).  Taken with a C6 at F 2.6 or so using a Mallincam Extreme, Lumicon Deepsky filter, and 30 second integration...Dwight

Could we have a hubble shot up next...two very different sides of the scale with these images..and very good ones..now my personal opinion and whether folk agree or not is up to them...if the two images have not had any processing on them it comes down to different scopes n cameras giving different interpretation of what it sees..now where does it leave us, do we leave them as is or do we edit them and tweak bits n pieces to make it better for hanging on a wall......different strokes. ...its an individual's opion of what they personally like.....thanks for the images. ..davy

Hi peter..totally agree with you weather this year has been bad..deffo more clouds about I think..any weather observers out there can you shed light on this and has it anything to do with the suns 11yr cycle

Here is my version of M 35 which includes NGC 2158, the smaller more distant cluster beside M 35.  You can see that 2158 is much more distant by the reddening of the stars (M 35 3000 LYs and 2158 is 17,000 LY away).  Taken with a C6 at F 2.6 or so using a Mallincam Extreme, Lumicon Deepsky filter, and 30 second integration...Dwight

Nice one Dwight :laugh:

Found this comparable shot in my archive from 2yrs back via humble 70mm OG [Meade f/5 ETX-70 inset] + Lodestar-C piggybacked on my LX200 for 60sec exp.    It's a pretty good image for a tiny aperture and must reuse it again for some wide-angle stuff sometime :police:

post-21003-0-13417900-1387807488_thumb.j

Thats a good image Maurice and gives me an idea of what I might expect with my Equinox 80mm. Thanks for posting.

That's good Alan :grin:  Here's my closeup of NGC 2158 from Dec 4th in 30s exp via 30cm Meade that is nicely resolved.  This distant cluster is a faint blur visually in most scopes :police:

post-21003-0-72457300-1387915854.jpg

Nice close up Maurice. Visually I used a 16" for this cluster to come alive. A similar juxtaposition occurs with M 38 and NGC 1907. I just wish I had some good weather to see anything. I have not been able to do any viewing in December. I should move to Britain for clear skies....LOL... Dwight

Archived