Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP! Newbie. Blurry view in eyepiece for Celestron Astromaster 130EQ Telescope?

If it doesn't change at all then it sounds really bad... Can you see anything through the eyepiece on its own? Like holding it over a news paper? It should make the print smaller but still be quite clear.

although it would be pretty unlikely that all your eyepieces are faulty

now here's a thought, get one of the eyepieces and unscrew the bottom silver part, turn it round and screw it back on the other way round...... does this now make the eyepiece focussable ?

Hello again astronymonkey,

Now I don't think that would work because there is a black flap that wraps around inside out on top of the eyepiece as you can see where you can refer to the pictures I posted a few posts earlier.  Hope I've made this clear. 

Hi Peter,

Nope.  It came with the 20mm erecting eyepiece.  Also it came along with an eyepiece kit.  The eyepiece kit came with:

• 15 mm Kellner eyepiece
  • 9 mm Kellner eyepiece
  • #80A blue planetary filter
  • #25 red planetary filter
  • Moon filter
  • Microfiber cloth
  • Foam-lined plastic carrying case

Are you having the same problem with all the eyepieces ? If you are then the telescope may be faulty.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

A guy from Celestron Support is going to send me another eyepiece free of charge.  How nice of him is that?  Hopefully when I get the new eyepiece, it will work this time around.  If not, it's probably the telescope? 

Anyway, Ill update you all when I receive the new eyepiece and if whether or not it works.

Thanks everyone!  I really do appreciate your help.  Happy Holidays!  :)

UPDATE:

A guy from Celestron Support is going to send me another eyepiece free of charge. How nice of him is that? Hopefully when I get the new eyepiece, it will work this time around. If not, it's probably the telescope?

Anyway, Ill update you all when I receive the new eyepiece and if whether or not it works.

Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate your help. Happy Holidays! :)

Is it poor with all the eyepieces you have?

Hi Guys, 

If i create a sequence of daytime tree images, of varying degrees from total blur to perfect focus and the OP chooses ones which are similar, do you think this will help?

From a perfect focus I can even knock my collimation out of whack in varying degrees.

I know the OP has tried the 10mm and 20mm, just hard to accept that its an ep problem... I would have thought the primary would have been qc'd at the factory, maybe they put a spherical in it when it should have been a para or something.  If they laser collimated that, might be spot on but image would be blurred??

Mark

No problem Mark and it's not a rush.  Take your time since I'm waiting for the new eyepiece to be shipped to me.

Now you mentioned the factory could've put a spherical in it and not para?  What does that mean?  Any illustration/picture to show that?

It would be most unusual if more than one eyepiece was having the same problem at the same time. If all your eyepieces won't come to focus then it has to be a problem with the scope. Yet the pics indicate the scope looks ok at the focuser end - and the view in the draw tube doesn't sound out of place at all.

There's no indication of damage or blockage to primary or secondary mirrors - though it's possible factory set up may have left the primary badly pinched and/or the optic train grossly out of collimation.

When you get the new eyepiece - if it doesn't come to focus it has to be the scope. It would be really useful if you could contact these guys and tell them you need some help cos you can't get your scope to work. They will identify the problem very quickly:

The mailing address for the Los Angeles Astronomical Society is:

Los Angeles Astronomical Society
c/o Griffith Observatory
2800 East Observatory Road
Los Angeles, CA 90027

The telephone number for leaving messages is:(213) 673-7355

You may also find this group helpful (in your locality)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LACC-Astronomy-Club/130517720338970

:)

Edited by brantuk

It would be most unusual if more than one eyepiece was having the same problem at the same time. If all your eyepieces won't come to focus then it has to be a problem with the scope. Yet the pics indicate the scope looks ok at the focuser end - and the view in the draw tube doesn't sound out of place at all.

There's no indication of damage or blockage to primary or secondary mirrors - though it's possible factory set up may have left the primary badly pinched and/or the optic train grossly out of collimation.

When you get the new eyepiece - if it doesn't come to focus it has to be the scope. It would be really useful if you could contact these guys and tell them you need some help cos you can't get your scope to work. They will identify the problem very quickly:

The mailing address for the Los Angeles Astronomical Society is:

Los Angeles Astronomical Society

c/o Griffith Observatory

2800 East Observatory Road

Los Angeles, CA 90027

The telephone number for leaving messages is:

(213) 673-7355

Thanks for the info!  Do you happen to have their e-mail address if it is listed?

going by the picture you posted i think the eyepiece is wrong or something not right looking about it when compared to pictures posted on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31045-Astromaster-130EQ/dp/B000MLL6RS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387481897&sr=8-1&keywords=Celestron+Astromaster+130EQ

your eyepiece looks to have dropped into the tube further?...even discounting the rubber cup

Nice catch! That is a huge difference! I'm guessing that that's your problem! Looks like something is definitely missing.