Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HELP! Newbie. Blurry view in eyepiece for Celestron Astromaster 130EQ Telescope?

A lack of a rubber eyecup wouldn't neccessarily cause a focusing problem, it could be folded back. There are also some eyepieces that don't have eyecups anyway so I doubt this is the problem.

im not sure either about the eyepieces as the wrong eyeoieces may mean a spacer is needed. I have a nagler 12mm which needs a 30mm extension to parfocalise it with my other nags otherwise its onnhe limit of my focusser so fozzie maynhave a point there.

as I mentioned earlier the widefield ep does have a milled tibe suggesting it may only need inserting half way so a pohoto of the two stock eyepieces wouldnbe useful.

cheers

the focuser in the pic is at the innermost point . when you can see the moon tonight or whatever, take the eyepiece out and point the scope at the moon using the red dot finder and you should see the whole of the secondary lit up white with the moon. if not move it about a bit until you do. then out the lowest power eyepiece in e.g. 25mm and slowly turn the focuser wheels whilst looking through the eyepiece until you get an image that is sharp. if you don't then there must be an issue with the scope. I am completely happy to help if I can and if you are local to me / willing to travel. I am sure it's something simple.

Excellent advice as always in here!

Who was the supplier? If it's a reputable company then they should have a reasonable knowledge of their stock and might be able to shed some light.

To reiterate, if you are using the lower power supplied eyepiece (20mm or 25mm in this case I think, with all dust caps and covers removed!), the finderscope is accurately aligned and the focuser draw tube moves freely in and out as you turn the knob and you still can't focus then the collimation must be very badly off or the 'scope is broken. Both are possible if it took a big bump in transit.

Cheers

Yes where are you?

have you tried taking the eyepiece out and (whilst looking through it) slowly moving your head back away from but in line with the drawer tube. If your tube is too short, or the primary has moved somehow you may achieve focus.

Try borrowing a microscope eyepiece from school or work?

I've contacted and e-mailed Celestron Support.  Hopefully they'll help me respond with a definite answer.  Don't get me wrong...these are all great suggestions, but it's just that I don't know which one wouid truely correct the problem.  I'm just curious if Celestron Support knows a definite answer to this problem.  Sorry, this is driving me nuts and I want to fix the problem quickly.  I'm really anxious to see the moon close-up, etc.!

If you bought it from a retailer, rather than on-line, they should be able to check out the telescope and confirm that it is faulty.

When you move the focuser in or out does the image actually change at all... Could it be that it gets better as you wind in or out that you just need more travel. Is it worth trying with the eyepiece pulled out of the focuser a bit?

This is my first time posting a picture.  I'm posting a picture of how my telescope was set up and how the eyepiece looks when inserted in the focuser.  Hope this gives an idea and help solve the problem.

0aa7a8e0617e11e387c70e1e2ad519ec_7_zps23

going by the picture you posted i think the eyepiece is wrong or something not right looking about it when compared to pictures posted on amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-31045-Astromaster-130EQ/dp/B000MLL6RS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387481897&sr=8-1&keywords=Celestron+Astromaster+130EQ

your eyepiece looks to have dropped into the tube further?...even discounting the rubber cup

• Like 1

Here are some close-up pictures of the eyepiece I'm using and the eyepiece in the focuser.  Hope this helps.

Here is the close-up picture of the eyepiece.  That pink reflection is my pants.  Just ignore it that part...

P1040737_zps16577d03.jpg

A close-up picture of the eyepiece in the focuser...

P1040736_zpsb8d4bed6.jpg

,...And another one  just in a different view....

P1040735_zps41e57526.jpg

Oh dear - can you move to England at all? lol :grin:

Joking aside - there has to be an astro society in LA where you can get some help. I'm sure we have SGL members in LA who would be more than willing to assist..

HA HA HA.  I wish I could move to England!  :p

Ok,

Here is an update from Celestron Support.  I got  response from them.  It sounds like they think it's a faulty eyepiece.  They offered to send another eyepiece to me as an exchange.  o_O  :)

But just out of curiousity.  Based on my pictures, does everything look right?

have you tried it using a barlow lens to see if it comes to focus?

or try just placing the eyepiece in (dont tighten) then try to focus,if you have traveled all the way out,try lifting the eyepiece slowly out

whilst still observing...what happens to focus then?

It looks OK. Is the 10mm eyepiece the only one supplied with the telescope ?

Hi Peter,

Nope.  It came with the 20mm erecting eyepiece.  Also it came along with an eyepiece kit.  The eyepiece kit came with:

• 15 mm Kellner eyepiece
  • 9 mm Kellner eyepiece
  • #80A blue planetary filter
  • #25 red planetary filter
  • Moon filter
  • Microfiber cloth
  • Foam-lined plastic carrying case

So frustrating ... I want to pop round and help :-) but I'm in Essex... The UK one

Ha ha.  Wow thanks for all the help you guys are giving me.  So nice of you.  Wish I'd live in the UK. :p  It is indeed frustrating.  Don't know why it's still giving me blurry images!!  Grr.....