SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HELP! Newbie. Blurry view in eyepiece for Celestron Astromaster 130EQ Telescope?

Is there any news yet? Did you manage to get in touch with LA Astro Soc? :)

Hello.  Thanks for your concern.  No I didn't get in contact  with LA Astro Soc yet.  I'm still waiting for the replacement of my eyepiece to come in the mail.  I'm going to see if the new eyepiece will help solve the problem first.  Also, right now, Christmas is coming up in a couple of days so I think no one would be working.

Happy Holidays everyone! 

Hi all,

Hope all of you had a great Christmas!

Here's an update:

I received my new eyepieces as a replacement of the old ones. However, I am still getting blurry images.... even with the new eyepieces. I suspect it has something to do with the 'scope.

I also messaged the LA Astro Society, but haven't received a reply yet. I think they're on holiday break.

I'm really getting frustrated. I really don't want to return this 'scope. Help! Please?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hi all,

Hope all of you had a great Christmas!

Here's an update:

I received my new eyepieces as a replacement of the old ones. However, I am still getting blurry images.... even with the new eyepieces. I suspect it has something to do with the 'scope.

I also messaged the LA Astro Society, but haven't received a reply yet. I think they're on holiday break.

I'm really getting frustrated. I really don't want to return this 'scope. Help! Please?

Thanks in advance! :)

Could you take a picture of the tube from the front (showing the mirror), the focuser without an eyepiece in and an afocal view through the eyepiece (looking at a tree or something)?

Edited by Naemeth

Could you take a picture of the tube from the front (showing the mirror), the focuser without an eyepiece in and an afocal view through the eyepiece (looking at a tree or something)?

You got it. Here are the pictures as requested. However, I'm getting a hard time to get a picture of an a focal view through the eyepiece. With that said, here are the two pictures. Hope it helps!

Here is picture 1 ( picture of the tube from the front):

image_zps63edd201.jpg

here is the 2nd picture of the focused without an eyepiece...

image_zps3317442c.jpg

cheers

just trying to rule things out as everything looks right. running out of things to suggest. I think you need to meet with someone knowledgable locally. I am certain this will sort things out for you.

Grrr...I'm not sure why it's still giving me problems! Sorry, but I really don't know anyone who knows about this stuff. Hmm.... :(

Hi, its got me stumped as id need to get my hands on the scope to figure out what's going on. A newtonian is a pretty simple set up so id wait to speak to someone at the society who could look it over for you and either sort it out or recommend it is send back to the dealer.

as the set up is so simple it shouldn't take too long to determine what the issue is once its in the hands of someone in the know.

Hope you get it sorted soon,

If the image was well out of focus say, it would look blurred and too large, then if you adjusted the focuser it would get smaller until it became sharp or if you went the wrong way it would get bigger and blurrier... What does yours do?

The Griffith Observatory has a public event on the 14th Jan 2014 if you can get along to it. Also if you pop your zip code into the query box on this page you'll find a load more astro socs near your location.

http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/club-map.cfm

You may find one real close who reply a lot quicker. I imagine the LA Astro Soc is quite huge and busy so may be slow responding. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a local astronomer just round the block from you - it's just a case of researching the nearest clubs and finding someone through them. :)

Grrr...I'm not sure why it's still giving me problems! Sorry, but I really don't know anyone who knows about this stuff. Hmm.... :(

hello swtbliss8. 

i notice you wear glasses, do you have a friend or relative that has 20/20 vision.

have a none spec wearer look through the eye piece and ask them if its blurred. 

i focused venus in my eyepiece i am also a none spec wearer , it was a lovely crescant shape just as it should be.

i then let my father look, he wears glasses to like yourself, when i asked him what he saw, he told me a blue'ish blob.

the scope is producing one focal plane, but your glasses convert it to another. 

i think your problem does not lay with any technical stuff on/with scope, its because of the eye relief of the eyepieces.

and your need to wear glasses to. the combination is not allowing you to focus fully.

Tell me you are removing both end caps from your eyepiece.

I only mention this as, just the other night, I got all set up, went to focus on a bright star and.... Blurrrrrr. I had left the bottom clear cap on the Ethos. Obviously I realised pretty quickly what the problem was, but it's fairly easy to do, particularly if you are a beginner.

Tell me you are removing both end caps from your eyepiece.

I only mention this as, just the other night, I got all set up, went to focus on a bright star and.... Blurrrrrr. I had left the bottom clear cap on the Ethos. Obviously I realised pretty quickly what the problem was, but it's fairly easy to do, particularly if you are a beginner.

Hello Joves.  Thanks for your advice.  You had the same problem?!?  What do you mean you had left the bottom clear cap on the Ethos?  Any pictures you can post so I can understand better? 

joves is referring to the dust caps on an eyepiece, on the ep`s supplied with your scope i dont think you could leave a cap on and still insert it into the focuser, i really hope you get this strange problem solved, i still feel this problem is due to focusing, i would put the 20 or 25mm eyepiece in the focuser, point the scope at the moon and slowly wind the focus all the way in, then all the way out watching to see how the image changes

Hello. I haven't received any replies from LA Astro Society. I don't know what to do.....:(

Did you see the post about the possibility of there being a mismatch between the eye piece and the lens in your spectacles? Is there someone else you could ask to look into your telescope and try to focus it? If they can get focus, then you can safely say it's not the equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk