NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet Lovejoy.

Picked up this morning at 05.40 UT under hazy skies with 7x50 bins, just below the bottom right star of the Hercules "Keystone". Unable to see any real tail under these conditions, just noted as a evenly bright, compact haze of light.

Les

Nick

Thanks for the map/discription. I wandered out at 5:30 armed with binoculars and a 10" Dob. Spent 30mins specifically to find Lovejoy.

No joy (sorry). I was Absolutally sure that I was looking in the right place.

Turns out that Skywalk had it in the wrong place. I think that I glimpsed it in the binos and discounted it as being miles from where I was looking.

I guess that this is why the rest of the world uses Stellarium.

At least I know that it isn't me being a spanner.

Paul

Got up again this morning. Clear but hazy(as Les found) so although I found the comet there was not much to see of the tail just the head quite bright through the haze. I thought that the seeing might be good for, say, Jupiter but I had not set the scope up - went back to bed.

Archived