NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wasted hour and frostbit fingers

Really cold tonight (-1F). Tried to get out for a few quick shots of the moon with my new camera. Got it centered with a 25mm EP and then put the camera in and plugged it in to the laptop.

And nothing. All I got was a blank screen. I messed around with it for a while and finally gave up. 

Since I took all the trouble to setup in the first place I did stay to look at the moon for awhile. Also viewed M45 for a bit before heading in. 

Just bummed I couldn't even get a simple shot of the moon.

Whatever doesn't kill us makes us STRONGER. Each and every night you learn more and more and you will have your shot of the moon and many more trust me i have been there. I only use a 12 volt gell cell battery in weather that cold.

Ow !

Last year were were out in minus 15 degrees. Most nights before that LeeB turned up in shorts and crocs (fool) !

You should be all right, physiologically there's no difference in feeling anything below minus 3. Unfortunately some of the best seeing and crystal skies are when it's below zero, no pain. No gain,

Old Nick.

I suspect that the problem was one of focus.  What was right in the eyepiece will almost certainly be very different when viewed through the camera.  And when you alter the focus, little by little, you should allow at least a couple of seconds for the view to settle down.

Be careful when it's that cold, having had frost bite* I can tell you it's not funny.  Fortunately I only lost the toe nail but I think I damaged the nerves also.  Keep warm, keep moving.  And yes you can't tell the difference below about -5, I once went for milk in -40 which was incredibly stupid in hindsight, but it felt no colder than it did here earlier this week at -1.

*caused by a combination of a very cold day (I recall seeing -35 but can't remember if the was before or after the wind) and ski boots that where a sports fit so messed up blood flow.

I tried it again this afternoon with a distant telephone pole. Got a nice view in the ep then put in the camera and nadda. I played with all the settings for a while trying to get if figured out then gave up and came in to warm up. 

I was out collimating my new scope this evening, realizing I can forget about imaging anything until I get this new camera I've ordered - enabling me to use liveview on the computer. The eyepiece is simply too "high up" on the scope, and I need to climb the observatory just in order to look through it. Would be the same deal if I connected my DSLR. :( At least I got to balance and collimate it, as well as align it... And it was -15 degrees celsius... ;) And its gonna get allot colder at the end of December - entering January and February. More like -15 to -25, even -30... I am so glad my setup is pretty much automated... :D

Really cold tonight (-1F). Tried to get out for a few quick shots of the moon with my new camera. Got it centered with a 25mm EP and then put the camera in and plugged it in to the laptop.

And nothing. All I got was a blank screen. I messed around with it for a while and finally gave up. 

Since I took all the trouble to setup in the first place I did stay to look at the moon for awhile. Also viewed M45 for a bit before heading in. 

Just bummed I couldn't even get a simple shot of the moon.

I've answered your other post ! Suggest you test camera setup in daylight - good luck :-)

I tried it again today in the daylight and just by pointing the scope out the window on some distant trees. I know going through a window isn't the best option but just to try and get it working I figured it would be fine.

I played with it for awhile but nothing worked till I uninstalled and then re-installed the software for it. That worked and I was able to finally get an image on the screen.

But of course that now I have it working, it's supposed to be cloudy and snowy the next couple of days.  :sad:

welcome to the life of an astrophotographer :grin:  collimation, focussing, trailing, esposure times, flats, darks, bias, guiding, just so much to learn but keep at it and you will get there! i have had a few nights when its felt less fun than work :eek:  but when you nail your 1st image it will leaving wanting to do more and more! good luck !!!! one thing you can guarantee, you can always vent your frustrations here :smiley:

Archived