Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a smudge or better

rex88

A large oval smudge with a brighter centre sounds about right. It will look better without the barlow - it's a huge object at around 6 times the diameter of the full moon in full extent although it's usually the brighter central core that we can observe. There is a small bright fuzzy star like object just to one side of M31 which is M32, another galaxy and a somewhat fainter oval patch of light on the other side of M31 which is M110, yet another galaxy. All visible with your scope under reasonably dark skies. Use your lowest power eyepiece though with this group of objects.

From a good dark site a 10" scope can show a great deal of detail in the andromeda galaxy . The dust lanes spiralling around the core stand out well at this aperture. One can even glimpse at least one of its globular clusters, but your sky needs to be dark else the old "oval smudge" is about it.

As Scott says above LP levels have a lot to do with it, also the state of the moon in the sky can wash out a lot of details. At one of our group dark sites, viewing M31 at different times can range from an undetailed smudge to an eyepiece filling definite structure and dust lanes, its like viewing 2 different objects.

.... but your sky needs to be dark else the old "oval smudge" is about it.

I'm glad you added that last bit Steve  :smiley:

From my moderately light polluted back garden the structure, dust lanes etc need the very best of nights and are very indistinct even then, even with my 12" scope.

Under truly dark skies though I agree things do get more interesting.

you should be able to see it + companions M32 and M101 in a relatively wide angle eyepiece (20mm+) - but more so if the skies are clear otherwise the contrast renders it a bit featureless. On a clear night it's quite a sight (in a small telescope, should be great in a 10").

Thanks everyone took the Barlow out and used 15mm with filter #nd96 25% bit more of view still learning how to get the best out of it. My first night using it.

Went on to Jupiter. Really hard to get detail of it, just about make out colour bands.

Can't see an nebula wat so ever.

Satellites are fun to track haha

Where a bouts in Cornwall are you rex88?

Like others have said light pollution is a major factor in seeing galaxies but you also need really transparent skies to see them well. From home with my old 12" if I could see M31 naked eye then I could pick out one dust lane, if I couldn't spot it naked eye then it would just be an oval smudge. :)

The amount of light pollution obviously has a serious impact on what is visible, also the transparency or otherwise of the sky. When the sky is really transparent from my moderately light polluted garden the centre is a very bright glow and the whole eyepiece is filled, when the sky is poor all I see is a faint smudge.

In Camborne but on top of the hill. Thinking about taking it to one of my fishing locations, there u can see the milky way and thousands of stars

I could just about make it out with the naked eye if you looked hard enough

Thanks everyone took the Barlow out and used 15mm with filter #nd96 25% bit more of view still learning how to get the best out of it. My first night using it.

Went on to Jupiter. Really hard to get detail of it, just about make out colour bands.

Can't see an nebula wat so ever.

Satellites are fun to track haha

The ND filter is making things worse on deep sky objects rather than better - you need all the light you can get so the 25% that the filter removes is just the opposite. It's for the moon really but many folks find a filter unnecessary even on that.

Planets need to be studied for some time to see the more subtle details - a quick glimpse will reveal the main belts on Jupiter and the 4 moons but to see more you need to spend more time on it.  

I guess you are eager to see as many things as possible at the moment though :smiley:  

In Camborne but on top of the hill. Thinking about taking it to one of my fishing locations, there u can see the milky way and thousands of stars

I could just about make it out with the naked eye if you looked hard enough

The Lizard would probably be the best place to head for, observe next to the coast and you'll have no LP in that direction for hundreds of miles and you'll be blown away but how much difference it makes! :)

Was going to head down to porthoustock as it's pitch black down there with no lp what so ever.

Where abouts in Cornwall are u two.

Right so filters are not needed. Thought there was some enhancements with them.

Will keep them in a bag out the way.

Thanks for advice I'm taking it all in.

Was amazed at the finder scope. That's more powerful then my old scope

I'm in Torpoint so its a fair old hike for me to get down that way, I usually head to North Cornwall when its good though, Cornwall has got LP but we are very lucky that its never a long drive to get to dark skies.

Another question. What's the best way to store the scope after being outside. The mirror has fogged up now indoors and worried that it's going to leave water marks on the mirror 

The Lizard would probably be the best place to head for, observe next to the coast and you'll have no LP in that direction for hundreds of miles and you'll be blown away but how much difference it makes! :)

Just stay away from the lighthouse! Like having someone shine a torch in your face every ten seconds.

Archived