Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heart Nebula IC1805 OIII/Ha/SII

x6gas

I have really struggled processing this and I can't say that I am totally happy with the result.  I may well go back and start again, but this is as far as I can get with this processing run.

12 hours of data here 12 x 1200s subs for each channel.

Scope: Takahashi FSQ85EDX

Mount: CGEM DX

Camera: Atik 490ex

Guiding: Atik OAG, IMG0H, PHD

post-11821-0-07758400-1386101827_thumb.p

Thanks for looking.

Clear skies, Ian

This looks very good! What is exactly that you don't like about it?

E.

Thanks Epicycle.

I dunno - bit dominated by the stars, trouble with a purple background sky... there is a lot of [OIII] about but I couldn't get good colour in the nebula and sort the sky out.

I think the biggest problem is that I've been staring at it for too long!

Thanks all - I know I'm a moanie old git, but I am getting pretty picky with my imaging now and for some reason this one just doesn't feel quite right...

I've been trying not to over process my images, but think I need to increase the contrast...

Anyway, tha is for the nice comments - keeps me motivated!

I think that the detail in this looks good and most promising. the colours leave me wanting more if I'm honest. I don't mind muted colours, but these just need a little more 'umph' I think. Perhaps a little more contrast as you say and some selective lightening /  darkening to make some of the beautiful structures pop some more. I 'think' it looks a little flat, but I'm not sure if that's what I mean as I've looked at this for a while and tried to decided what I think about it, but have struggled to pinpoint what I'm seeing.

Gosh that's not very helpful really is it? Sorry .

Looks very nice take a break and come back to it sometimes you get googly eyes staring at your work for too long ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, I think you're right Quatermass...

I read something from Olly Penrice a while back saying that it takes time with a capture to work out what it responds to.  While I don't yet know enough exactly what to do, I do now understand exactly what he means!

I'll put this on the list to re-work later as I am happy enough that the underlying data is sound.

I think that the detail in this looks good and most promising. the colours leave me wanting more if I'm honest. I don't mind muted colours, but these just need a little more 'umph' I think. Perhaps a little more contrast as you say and some selective lightening /  darkening to make some of the beautiful structures pop some more. I 'think' it looks a little flat, but I'm not sure if that's what I mean as I've looked at this for a while and tried to decided what I think about it, but have struggled to pinpoint what I'm seeing.

Gosh that's not very helpful really is it? Sorry .

Ha!  You've captured my thoughts exactly Sara - promising but not quite there...

It is a little flat, but I agree that it's very difficult to identify exactly what it is that isn't quite working.  I'm really glad that you posted this comment - I'm glad it's not just me that can't put my finger on it!

Looks very nice.  I wonder if making the black point a little darker in levels would add a bit more contrast?

Thanks Ian.  The black point is tricky on this one.  I do tend to leave a lot of space on the black point end - and I quite like it that way - but moving the black point on this starts to hit the [OIII] signal.  Adjusting the contrast on the colour image doesn't quite do it either, so I think I need to boost the contrast of the luminance layer (that is a combine of all of the subs).

Thanks Ian.  The black point is tricky on this one.  I do tend to leave a lot of space on the black point end - and I quite like it that way - but moving the black point on this starts to hit the [OIII] signal.  Adjusting the contrast on the colour image doesn't quite do it either, so I think I need to boost the contrast of the luminance layer (that is a combine of all of the subs).

Thanks for the insight, Ian.  My Photoshop skills are rather limited and I thoroughly enjoy learning from the more experienced folk on here!

Archived