Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces for PST

stevil

Hello,

Sorry if this sounds a silly question, I am just after some advice.

When it comes to eyepieces what size can you regularly get down to when using your PST? (I live in the UK).

The smallest eyepiece that I have is an 8mm BST Explorer, I am just wondering if it is possible, and maybe more to the point worthwhile, to magnify much more.

I believe that the PST has a focal length of 400mm and a diameter of 40mm making it a f10 and my 8mm gives a x50 magnification.

Should that be good enough or is it possible to really zoom in?

I've just received my PST this week so am completely new to H Alpha.

Thanks

Steve

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

In short no!

I usualy stick to my 17mm which gives good views in 90% of cases

I sometimes use my 13mm but even this is normally to much for the conditions. (you have to remember that there is more turbulence during the day due to the very sunlight you want to look at!

I do use my 10.5mm, 8mm and even my 6mm ortho but the view is almost always better when going back out to the 17mm.

hope this helps!

The PST is really aimed at giving full disc views.

It is sometimes worth popping in something like your 8mm to look at a particulat prominence but generally you get much more detail with lower powers, most people seem to agree that 15-20mm simple eypieces like plossls, orthos and Kellners are just about perfect. oh and barlows are very hit and miss with the PST too, best just to use eyepieces alone.

I managed to view a Coronal mass ejection with my PST a few years ago thanks to a heads up on this forum and was treated to view which made all the images of the event look totaly pants!

The thing was the imagers were imaging the disc of the sun but using the pst I was able to see the ejected materiel  so far away from the sun that it was out of the field of view in the 17mm. Just thinking abaout the sheer mass, speed and distances involved made it one of the most awe inspiring views I will ever have of anything.

Anyway you are gona have some fun with it!

I've found my most used single eyepiece was a 11mm TV Plossl, I now exclusively use a Seben 8mm-24mm zoom which works well at F10 and covers all bases. A wide field eyepiece is not necessary as the 5mm blocking filter is a restriction.   :smiley: 

I have tried a number of different eyepieces, but agree with Peter that for a single fixed ep you can't beat the Televue 11mm Plossl. It just seems to give the optimum amount of magnification most often, and allows you to see the whole solar disk. It is a very sharp and contrasty eyepiece too, with its simple design minimising light scatter.

I find that under normal conditions, you don't gain anything from going any higher, although occasionally I try a 9mm BGO if the seeing is very steady.

Stu

I too vote for the Seben 8mm-24mm zoom, then you can use just enough magnification that seeing conditions dictate.

Conditions can change quite rapidly, say even a 10 min period and changing eyepieces can be such a drag.

Just got an under £20 Seben (7.2mm to something) and the results look similar to the £50 Seben 8-24mm one, but at under half the price!

For me, the best accessory I have for the PST is the Baader Hyperion zoom 8-24mm. I realise it's a bit more pricey than some may like but I can't see why a different zoom EP wouldn't perform well either.

Thanks for the replies, that's exactly the information I was looking for. As the zoom eyepiece was recommended a few times I've just treated myself and bought a Seben zoom eyepiece off ebay. I'm guessing buying a Hyperion may be frowned upon by The Boss just before Christmas.

Cheers

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Archived