Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsey and friends a beginners bodge job

symesie04

Really not sure about posting this with all the quality on this forum, but hey. This is the result of 13 x 3 min exposures with a Modded 500d and a 100-400mm L at 200mm f5/6, iso 800. No darks (i know) not totally sharp, suffers from light pollution, poor polar alignment and dreadfull processing. Oh and did i mention the poor framing?. Other than that im quite happy with it at this stage of my learning curve.To be honest it was just a test to see what sort of results might be achievable and an idea of FOV.  Its blinking hard this astrophotography game isnt it?  Feel free to rip into it, i need to learn and learning by seeing your mistakes is the way to go.

post-19442-0-50398500-1385686227_thumb.p

Cheers for looking

Chris

Yep, don't be afraid to post, nothing wrong with it. Everyone here is learning/improving all the time. You have provided a lot of useful information in your post (kit, troubles encountered etc) and who knows, your image may inspire someone else to take up AP.

Great start there Chris - lovely wide angle view and nicely defined for quite short exposure times.   The horsehead and flame stand out really nicely.   Some more subs would help and perhaps some shorter ones for the brighter areas.

That looks pretty darn impressive to me, good job!

Well worth posting, not everyone is an ace imager yet here (me, for instance!) and it's great to see everyone else's pics' - good, bad & ugly. You've chosen a very interesting FOV, not the usual.

I concur with other posts that more data will always give better results and darks are an absolute must with a DSLR. There's quite a gradient across the image, brighter to the right. Gradient Xterminator would probably help that disappear.

You say 'it's blinking hard this astrophotography game isn't it'... What a freakin' understatement that is!!!!!

Archived