Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ordering from the US

emadmoussa

The UPS guy told me that if I told the seller to indicate the package was going to a friend the tax would be minimal ...

Sorry, I wasn't paying much attention while trying to stop my jaw dropping down to my knees as I looked the tax bill.

That was a couple of months ago...$99 item + $45 delivery and £30 tax....seems a bit excessive, doesn't it?

What's your take on that guys?!

$144 ~ £90 should be liable for £18 VAT. Is there an import admin charge included in that £30?

Tax is minimal if you indicate a package is a gift and has a nominal value.

But then the insurance won't cover it if something happens to it. 

Best bet if you really want to order from abroad is to tell the truth and it'll cost what it costs.

Or you could support UK businesses and buy from a British supplier. It has many advantages... including the possibility that the company that makes a few quid from our order could spend that profit on a product from the company that YOU work for and make your job / company a little safer and more profitable.

Also the more that is bought from a UK supplier the bigger the UK market for the item becomes - the bigger the market the more serious they will take us and maybe just maybe eventually we will enjoy prices similar to the customers stateside.

Ant 

When I lived in Aus' I bought some items from the US.

What struck me were delivery charges which seemed to be on the high side.  I checked with the supplier when I saw this to see if it could be reduced by NOT using DHL, UPS etc which have a minimum weight charge, no matter how small the package is.

On a couple of occasions I got them to use normal post and a jiffy bag and saved $'s.

But then the insurance won't cover it if something happens to it. 

Best bet if you really want to order from abroad is to tell the truth and it'll cost what it costs.

Or you could support UK businesses and buy from a British supplier. It has many advantages... including the possibility that the company that makes a few quid from our order could spend that profit on a product from the company that YOU work for and make your job / company a little safer and more profitable.

Also the more that is bought from a UK supplier the bigger the UK market for the item becomes - the bigger the market the more serious they will take us and maybe just maybe eventually we will enjoy prices similar to the customers stateside.

Ant 

Usually buy stuff from the U.S. that I can't find in the UK. My latest buy was a ES giro mount extension which I couldn't find anywhere else.

Also buying from the UK you have better customer support and if something is wrong then it's easier to return.

True, and most of the big name brands won't honor warranty issues that occur with items that have not been through the approved dealer network in the country concerned.

True, and most of the big name brands won't honor warranty issues that occur with items that have not been through the approved dealer network in the country concerned.

I wouldn't have expected that to be much of an issue simply because in most cases you would return a product with a problem to the shop from which you bought it. Also I'm not sure how you be covered under consumer protection laws if you are buying from outside the UK.

I wouldn't have expected that to be much of an issue simply because in most cases you would return a product with a problem to the shop from which you bought it. Also I'm not sure how you be covered under consumer protection laws if you are buying from outside the UK.

You are right - I was agreeing with your earlier post and adding another reason why buying from outside the UK yourself can have risks despite the tempting prices  :smiley:

And you still get caught ordering from overseas, if Worldwide Parcel force has anything to do with it. Ordering from Japan has cost me an extra £20.11 from them, for simply taking it over from Customs, no duty or excess payable, handing it and passing it out to me. The retailer Kokusai K, is furious, as he paid WPF for delivery to my door. So just a heads up and beware. The only sure way to obtain from the States, is if you have a friend there who visits several times a year and they bring it with them, as I have, or be prepared to pay the extra :)

This subject is confusing to me because i have bought stuff online for America (nothing costing more then $70) and the only extras involved were shipping/postage cost of about $5.

I bought a spare battery for my Canon 450D, and including shipping....................it worked out at about 15 euros. If i drove to Dublin and bought the same it would cost me 30-40 euros.

This subject is confusing to me because i have bought stuff online for America (nothing costing more then $70) and the only extras involved were shipping/postage cost of about $5.

I bought a spare battery for my Canon 450D, and including shipping....................it worked out at about 15 euros. If i drove to Dublin and bought the same it would cost me 30-40 euros.

It all depends on whether or not it slips through customs (some parcels do). If not you're liable to pay 20% VAT and 4-6% customs charges (or something like that). I'm sure I've seen somewhere that they include the delivery price in working out the charges (but I could be wrong on this).

I've had big stuff like the ES 20mm 100* (that is a big box!!) go through no prob and others got nabbed for tax and duty.  Hard to predict. Thankfully, I have all the kit I need...................................cue explosive laughter........

Barry

It all depends on whether or not it slips through customs (some parcels do). If not you're liable to pay 20% VAT and 4-6% customs charges (or something like that). I'm sure I've seen somewhere that they include the delivery price in working out the charges (but I could be wrong on this).

True.

Anything i have bought from America is small enough to fit inside of a bubble envelope and weighs next to nothing. Maybe that is why i have never had to pay any extra import duty/tax etc...............because it is essentially a small standard envelope.

The cost was $145, then there is insurance, guess about $15 so up to $160.

Thats £100.

Duty is around 5% or 7%, say 5% so £105.

Then VAT at 20%, say £20.

Up to £125 so far.

The $ price was in effect £100 so £25 on top seems about the right area.

If the package came via the PO, and I assume Parcel Force, then they add an administration charge which is quite high, think £12 or more. Assuming that was in there then I could see £35-40 being on top.

I tend to say 30% of the cost+postage as additional is a good estimate and you fall into that.

I am lucky as I have a friend who lives in the USA and she comes over to visit. I can buy an 11 mm Nagler on line for $299 (£183). They cost around  £221 , a saving of  nearly £40. She will bring it over in a few weeks time.

Archived