Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polar Scope alignment

dark_marc

My polarscope did arrive today but I really do struggle alining it.

Bubble level is set to middle so mount is parallel to gound, however Polarscope seems to be off centre.

Did follow astronomyshed instructions on Youtube but dont get it sorted.

Picture 1

Polaris symbol is aligned to antennas cross about 70yards away

Picture 2

When moving RA axis the antenna runs out of alignment, but antenna cross should remain on circle.

Picture 3

My CG4

Dont see any other options for polarscope alignment in the tube and it does sit pretty tight in its tube.

Pretty sure I am not the only one ever experiencing this problem - Heeeeeeelp :-)

post-30988-138519822308_thumb.jpg

post-30988-138519823436_thumb.jpg

post-30988-138519825477_thumb.jpg

There are three grub screws set into the polar scope near the eye piece end, you have to undo one and tighten the other two, maybe an eighth of a turn each, and it will slowly move the reticle inside the polarscope. It will take about two hours and lots of swearing and a stuff neck, but it will be worth it. The screws are so fiddely its untrue.

Only move the cross hairs by half the distance they are wrong by, then swing the mount 180 and try again....

If you start out knowing it will take all day, it will feel better when you've achieved it in two hours.

Good luck.

James

P.s. Don't over tighten the grub screws and crack the reticle inside the polar scope like some clumsy frustrated ginger fool ..... :)

Yes its fiddly and a flippin pain, but just think of the feeling of satisfaction when you've done it. :smiley:

Its done now after almost 1.5 hrs...but must have done something wrong since reticle / cross is now all blur. Wonder what I did to it, cannot sharpen it with built-in eyepiece...

You have probably loosened the reticule a bit too much and it has tilted or jumped off the grub screw. Did you find that one of your grubscrews went in a long way. If so, you will have to slacken it off so that the reticule drops back into place, and recheck it.

I ask, because I did it to mine.

The bit with the thumb screws instead of the allen key screws is great. The screws from the dummy polarscope delivered with the mount do fit nicely and do allow very easy adjustment.

Hmm, did check the reticle, its not tilted but still blur.

post-30988-138523516669_thumb.jpg

Be careful with the thumb screws; i did that "mod" and it's easy to knock the screws loose and totally jigger up the reticle alignment again. In anger i tightened them up with a screw driver and cracked the reticle.

Glad you've got it aligned.

James

Archived