Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

clear friday at last!

estwing

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just come back from a quick 1h 30m session, lovely. Didn't manage to find anything new, but did show my Dad Jupiter and M45 (and got a 'Wow' in response), sorted :D.

Do need an observing chair though, all this bending isn't doing my back any favours.

Already on jup here, been watching Io emerge from the limb, interestingly Stallarium has it further away from the planet. Its seems about half an hour in advance of actual.?  Watching the video stream from a nice warm house  :smiley:

You probably don't have Stellarium correcting for the speed of light.  There's an option to do that somewhere.

James

Yes, it WAS lovely and clear earlier, WASN'T IT. :huh:
Cloud just rolled in. It is supposed to clear in a bit, hopefully that coincides with Jupiter clearing next doos very large oak tree. If the conditions improve I am switching from 150P to C8 XLT, fingers crossed

Ian

I think I saw Jupiter just now,could be wrong,the thing I saw was right above the moon and white with naked eye..I just could  not focus properly,tried a 10mm without x2 barlow,tried a 25mm without barlow and tried both with barlow..just no difference. Quite peed me off because quite a clear night,some cloud ,,Really wanted to know if that was Jupiter right above the moon?

I think I saw Jupiter just now,could be wrong,the thing I saw was right above the moon and white with naked eye..I just could  not focus properly,tried a 10mm without x2 barlow,tried a 25mm without barlow and tried both with barlow..just no difference. Quite peed me off because quite a clear night,some cloud ,,Really wanted to know if that was Jupiter right above the moon?

Sounds like Jupiter to me.  There's nothing else in that area anywhere near as bright.

James

Have you checked collimation or have you taken the scope out from a warm house, if so give it 20 min/ half an hour to equalise temp. Seeing tonight is not bad, view should be fine at 100x-150x  

Already on jup here, been watching Io emerge from the limb, interestingly Stallarium has it further away from the planet. Its seems about half an hour in advance of actual.?  Watching the video stream from a nice warm house  :smiley:

Light takes half an hour to travel from Jupiter. I think there is a setting on there to make it the time we see it, or the actual time etc. Imma go poke my head out the door and see if it has actually cleared.

Matt.

Have you checked collimation or have you taken the scope out from a warm house, if so give it 20 min/ half an hour to equalise temp. Seeing tonight is not bad, view should be fine at 100x-150x  

its always been in my spare bedroom,temps always between 10c and 6c.. my house pretty cold anyway,only have gas fire on downstairs so house is very cool..My eyes are not great though..but jupiter seems so fr away even with a x2 barlow and 10mm..giving me about 130x

Yeah it was very clear earlier and very nice to be out but I've packed up now. The moon and buckets of dew beat me lol! Has anyone else noticed that the tube and mirror seem to gather far more dew than the tripod? Anyway, it's always lovely to see Jupiter and look into the moons shadowy areas. The thing I always love about watching Jupiter is the speed that things happen, watching Io emerge and then move apart from the planet.... Nice :D

Archived