NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synscan: Are you happy with it?

Dark Matter

A major update IMO would be to move on from the old serial port design, make future hand sets USB compatible. This would take away our need for Serial to USB convertors and the inherent potential problem we have with these......

Gaz

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A major update IMO would be to move on from the old serial port design, make future hand sets USB compatible. This would take away our need for Serial to USB convertors and the inherent potential problem we have with these......

Gaz

If you want reliabilty then usb really isn't the way to go. - the issues folks have with usb-serial convertors are not generally on the serial side of things, its the usb side, particularly hubs, active cables and drivers that cause issues. Ethernet would be a much better solution in terms of reliabilty - but is more demanding in terms of product design.

Chris.

But for a 2 minute flash update of a handset a usb connection would be stable enough would it not? Everything else is connected via usb and there are few problems (printer, scanner, dslr, sat nav updates, smart energy meter, mobile phone....)

James

Another proposal for Synta regarding Synscan HC:

- one should be able to set/ reduce the speed of scrolling text because you can't read it during winter due to high lcd latency. Again, you can do this with Celestron Nexstar HC.

Another proposal for Synscan HC: an included database with sattelite and ISS location is desirable too.

The thing with satellites is that their Two Line Elements (TLE's) age quite quickly particularly those in Low Earth Orbit. ISS in particular not only suffers orbital decay due to the tenuous outer reaches of the atmosphere but will also receive orbital boosts to maintain a stable orbit.

these things conspire to render TLE's out of date quite frequently. It only need the satellite to be a few seconds late or early to be almost useless for scope alignment. 

It would be a constant pain to keep up to date via ROM flashing. Perhaps if it gave the mount the ability to live track a satellite once acquired it might just be a goer!!

There is a bluetooth 4 way adapter being developed by someone on the EQ6 yahoo forum at the moment

Bluetooth EQMOD interfaces for the skywatcher mounts have been around for quite some time now. They are easy to make but there are commercial units available for purchase as well (shoestring astronomy, EQTooth). I also know other folks have used off the shelf bluetooth/serial boxes to connect to the synscan rather that go the EQMOD route.

Chris.

• 1 month later...

It would be good to add planets (inc Moon) to the alignment set up, these are usually brighter than stars and may help novices and experienced watchers alike!

Cheers

Ron

Exactly what Ron said!

Jupiter not included in brightest star alignment is a pity - I know it's not a star :grin:  Us newbies need all the help we can get!

I think it would also be useful, if you could get it to give you a deep sky tour within the region of aky the scope is cirrently pointing at, maybe 20-30 degrees around the current object; many of us have one area of the sky obstructed by houses or trees. The other option would be to have a function which allowed you to teach the milount where the unobstructed sky was after alignment, it it the use that information to know if something was below the "horizon" or not.

James

if the people/company that makes these mounts ie: synscan watch this thread ...... 

i own the Merlin multi function mount, its the ALT AZ goto. 

now here are the problems i came up against. 

the handset asking to point to stars that one cannot see in the nights sky, IE they are to dull to be seen. 

The handset/mount shows option for calibrating the encoder, ( THIS DOES NOT WORK !!!! ) 

FALSE temp readings, my mount shows 72 degrees temp, thats a lie because the temp last night was -1.

ALIGNMENT : if you can call it that ( am sorry but im newbie and its useless ) brightest star - 2 star. 

the problem is you have to find the stars in the first place. 

The useless cover that should stop light affecting the optical encoder, this does not work in sunlight the mount will start to act funny if you 

DO NOT cover the silly bubble level with black tape and tape along the cover seam. to stop all ingress of light to the encoder. 

the scope mount being goto states upto 4kg in weight of telescope can be used. my 114 mm newton weights under 3kg and collides with the base all the time.

Zenith is a never with this mount. also the clutch system starts to creep with larger scopes. 

the merlin mount is a multi use, BUT you only send it out with astronomy settings. YET you make a second mount the skywatcher pano head

that comes with both astronomy and PANORAMA software. so the merlin mount is NOT multifunction it is ASTRO ONLY , this should be stated on your sites and in the manual.

the camera trigger socket is useless unless used with PC software like pappywizard, Yet the merlin mount should be able to take photographs if a camera is fitted ,

this is not true either, your mount only has astro settings and no Panorama/panormic options.

The MANUAL : lol sorry again its very vague, just inputting the long and latt is a huge chore, infact i had to research forums to find out why the mount would not accept my current long and latt readings. more thought needs to go into these manuals/booklets most purchasing these units are newcomers. but with vague instructions we are forced to search online for fixes and answers.

the long latt part in the manual is back to front.

Firmware : aka the no mans land mine field, to many choices when you go to look for new updates, then you read horror storys of things going very wrong

so you end up not upgrading with fear your £140 mount turns into a large useless lump of metal and plastic. or you ruin a henadset and then get charged 

more than the mount is worth to replace said handset.

MORE DIRECT method of contacting skywatcher about the product problems, i have trawled the internet trying to find emails

to contact skywatcher direct , if anyone else does the same they get NOWHERE, they get NO REPLY.

so to cut it short, Sort out the wonky alignment, the very bad manuals with basic hints nothing set in stone, ie do this this and this.

the none ability to re-calibrate the encoders (this should be a major thing, calibration means the best possible tracking)

and the ALIGNMENT we are newcomers, having us try and find stars to align with is pointless they all look the same to us newcomers.

sorry i am so blunt, but all i have had is headaches with the merlin multifuction, it is NOT fit for the astronomy purpose set out.

it is more a motorised camera tripod and head, not for astronomy. it is sold without the full multifunction puropse intended ie it is missing panoramic

- panorama software in the handset. it would be nice to have a small blinking icon telling user the mount is always tracking 

The latest synscan software/hardware works great for me.  Not really looking for any changes.  Or improvements.  But if forced to say something specific I would say that planets should be added.  It might enhance things.

Archived