Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - How to get the best from my scope.

Andy-T

So i stayed up until 1.30am this morning for my second look at Jupiter - I could not believe what i saw, three moons clear as day and the banding around the planet. My first look was amazing but by applying a few tips picked up on here the second was out of this world. All from a Skyliner 150 Dobsonian that cost a little over £200!

I found the best view using the 10mm EP that came with the scope, i have a very cheap 3 X Barlow that did increase viewing with the 25mm and 10mm EP but the 10mm alone was breathtaking!

My question is how could i make the image better, should i invest in a better 2 x Barlow or just buy a better EP at 8mm or 6mm? People talk about filters and planetary EP, will any of this improve the viewing? I would like to try and take my scope to it's maximum on this, pulling out as much as possible.

I am blown away with what i can see, i just wonder if it can be improved even further? I packed up at 2.30am and could not sleep a wink as the image and what i had just seen was swirling around my head, i think i am on a slippery slope! 

Regards

Andy

Not beiing a fan of barlows my opinion (biased :eek: :eek: ) is for better eyepieces.

I will guess the scope is the 1200mm FL.

So an 8mm will give 150x which will be more then enough for Jupiter, actually a better 10mm would be more then enough.

On the basis that Saturn will soon be up and you will want to see that then possibly go for the 8mm as 150x will suitable for that also, although again 120x (10mm) was one of the better views I have had of Saturn.

Plossl's have a reducing eye relief at smaller focal lengths. So they can be uncomfortable at 8mm.

Alternatives are BST Starguiders (£47), BST Wideangles (£43, oddly narrower angle then Starguiders), Celestron X-Cels(£65).

The Starguiders and X-Cels are well tried.

Plossl's if you went for them try Vixen Plossls (£35)

A better quality eyepiece might improve the view a bit but the best tip for getting the best from planetary observing is to spend as much time as possible observing the target object. The more you look, the more your eye becomes adept at picking out the more subtle details and also your eye picks up the increased detail that the momentary spells of really excellent seeing present.

After 30-40 minutes of observing the planet I find I'm starting to pick out details that were not even hinted at during the initial period of viewing.

Thanks Ronin i will take a look at those suggested, even a little improvement to the view will be worth it, plus good EP will always stay with me when i get a bigger scope, Jeez ive only had this one (yes it is the 1200 FL) for two weeks!

Are filters any use in planetary observing? 

Thats exactly what i found last night John. The first time i saw Jupiter i had had a long day and waiting up until 1.30am i was tired and only observed for five minutes. Last night i was well rested and wrapped up and was on it for 45 minutes. Minute by minute i saw more detail and couldnt believe the difference a little patience and fine tuning with the focus made. I just wondered if there was anything else i can do to further improve it.

Next thing is to get the membership form off to the local society so i can get up to Dolby Forest with some nice black sky!

An 8mm Bst or flatfield is ideal. The Skyliner 150 aka the 150pl gives wonderful sharp contrasting views. About x150 will give you comfortable viewing.

If the view is stable and clear, a Skywatcher UHC filter will enhance the views. This will take the glare off as well as being extremely useful for planetary and other nebulae. I've used other filters, but none works as well.

As an experiment, it's worth taking the small cap off the ota end cover. Replace with this hole facing opposite the focuser to give a clear run of light and you'll be surprised at the effects . This also works for splitting stars.

Jupiter has been lovely in the early hours , rising above the wiggly atmosphere,

Nick.

I would recommend using a proper astronomy retailer like FLO for eyepieces. You can't be sure what you're getting from the likes of Amazon or E-bay when choosing unknown brands. You'd also do better by joining your local astro soc and go out with them for a few observing sessions. You'll find most folks will be happy to let you try out their eyepieces in your scope so you can familiarise yourself with the popular tried and trusted brands.

Eyepiece choice is a very personal thing - everyone "sees things" differently to others and you need to get whatever is best for your scope and yourself. Otherwise you'll just be sticking pins blindfold into a map and could end up wasting a lot of money. Hth :)

Thanks Brantuk

Membership form for the Scarborough and Ryedale Society is in the post!  :smiley: Spot on the people who i have spoken with, very helpful indeed. Looking forward to the first meeting now and getting to ask a million questions! You also get the opportunity to use the society equipment, be a while before i am able to purchase a 16" Meade Lightbridge - FANTASTIC!

Comfy seat also ordered.

Thanks all!

You asked about filters as well; many people (including me) find that a Baader neodymium filter can increase the contrast a bit when looking at planets, and maybe sharpness as well. Traditionally, coloured filters were used as well such as pale blue which make orangy colours on Saturn or Jupiter more pronounced. Views differ.

The best single accessory for viewing the planets is of course a night with exceptional seeing........you will see detail then that has alluded you before, whatever kit you're using!

Chris

From my recent experience I would say that 100x - 150x is the sweet spot for viewing Jupiter in my scope and that 188x needs good conditions to get really good results. I can only repeat what others have written; when you view Jupiter, be patient, it is a really good example of finding detail appear after time at the EP. My best views have been at 0400 so try an early morning session for clearer skies and also when Jupiter is higher in the sky. Also check the GRS transits.

An 8mm Bst or flatfield is ideal. The Skyliner 150 aka the 150pl gives wonderful sharp contrasting views. About x150 will give you comfortable viewing.

If the view is stable and clear, a Skywatcher UHC filter will enhance the views. This will take the glare off as well as being extremely useful for planetary and other nebulae. I've used other filters, but none works as well.

As an experiment, it's worth taking the small cap off the ota end cover. Replace with this hole facing opposite the focuser to give a clear run of light and you'll be surprised at the effects . This also works for splitting stars.

Jupiter has been lovely in the early hours , rising above the wiggly atmosphere,

Nick.

This is a great way to turn a fast newt into a slower scope.  Bear in mind that this capping off process will drastically reduce the exit pupil at like for like magnifications, and the resolution will also be massively effected.

On small reflectors this stopping down is useful for solar viewing.  Stopping down is reportedly far more effective on larger aperture reflectors although I have yet to do this myself yet.

Actually the 150P was my first scope and the best eyepiece I ever bought for it was the Baader Hyperion 8mm-24mm Zoom. It turned the scope from a very average starter scope into a proper working instrument with crystal clear, razor sharp views on a good transparent night and the flexibility to change magnification without changing eyepieces.

It's several steps up in quality over the supplied eyepieces, great eye relief, and easy to attach a camera for afocal imaging. It's just a little narrow at the low power end so you'd possibly want a circa 30mm wide angle eyepiece to go with it. Of course it all depepnds on your budget - but that's all I used for a couple of years and was a very happy beginner. Still am come to think of it lol. :)

Actually the 150P was my first scope and the best eyepiece I ever bought for it was the Baader Hyperion 8mm-24mm Zoom. It turned the scope from a very average starter scope into a proper working instrument with crystal clear, razor sharp views on a good transparent night and the flexibility to change magnification without changing eyepieces.

It's several steps up in quality over the supplied eyepieces, great eye relief, and easy to attach a camera for afocal imaging. It's just a little narrow at the low power end so you'd possibly want a circa 30mm wide angle eyepiece to go with it. Of course it all depepnds on your budget - but that's all I used for a couple of years and was a very happy beginner. Still am come to think of it lol. :)

I still use the Explorer 150P F5 (and it was also my first scope too!)  I primarily use a TeleVue Nagler zoom 3-6mm in it where it shows 125x - 250x.  This eyepiece really shows that this is actually an amazing little scope with an awful lot of potential.  I usually use this scope instead of my 14" for looking at the moon / planets.  The 14" is great because of the increase in resolution and brightness but the massive aperture makes it far more vunerable to seeing.     Obviously stopping down the 14" to something close to 6" would make it much better than the 150p... I should create a mask at some point.

...As an experiment, it's worth taking the small cap off the ota end cover. Replace with this hole facing opposite the focuser to give a clear run of light and you'll be surprised at the effects . This also works for splitting stars...

I understand the effect of using small hole, just confused about the bit where you say "...Replace with this hole facing opposite the focuser..."

Can you please explain what do you mean?

Until now when using the small hole I left it in any position it happen to be without noticing any difference.

I would run outside to experiment but the weather is not playing fair so have to try to understand or wait until I get a chance to try it sometime.

thanks!

The scarborough gang are really friendly. I went to their dalby starfest this year and despite being on my own I had a great time and they were really easy to chat to ..... and by the way, I upgraded from a 150mm dob to a 16inch lightbridge 11months ago so you are only a click away from owning one !

Cheers

Like bambuko I would like to understand the point about the hole being opposite the focuser.

well... maybe there is some theoretical reason for it (as per the link in my last post) but today I carefully observed both Moon and Jupiter rotating the hole in the front cover and to be honest I didn't see any difference, but that might be just my lack of observing skill.

On the other hand Jupiter through the small hole was revelation - so much better than viewing through the full aperture.

I could see so much more without being "blinded"

I should have tweaked this (with my experience of comparatively slow TAL-1), but somehow missed the "obvious", so thank you again coterless45 for your helpful suggestion!

Archived