Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sp@ce_d 's Esprit 80

Here at last.. A quick post as the sky teases me with clear patches & a moon to look at if nothing else so keen to get it set up..  I'll just post a few pics. I know Gina has posted plenty so ask if you'd like to see a particular bit posted up.

First impression:

Well packaged & solid! Nice finish & definitely feels the part. Its also surprisingly heavy.. My first triplet so I guess that's it.

Not sure I like the screw on cap. It takes too long to locate & screw in with the fine thread when putting it on & I wonder if any  flakes will be generated from it. I had a Meade with this type & whilst its well made its fiddly I find ..

Oh.. Slightly miffed at several silver bits of debris or marks on the back of the lens. That'll need closer inspection but not going near it until I know what it is.

Oh yes...and balls.. :grin:  There's lots of balls in the packing that sit around the scope...

post-11176-0-67945100-1383929250_thumb.j

post-11176-0-30192600-1383929278_thumb.j

post-11176-0-63339800-1383929292_thumb.j

And the optic.. hard to get no reflection & show up the marks.. there's 3 visible in this shot.

post-11176-0-81842500-1383929323_thumb.j

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. So having faffed around cannibalising the other scopes to try and get the right bits for spacing, I've now got it setup ready to test out in the Obsy. I've added a longer dovetail to the foot for better balance adjustment too. As expected it was quite clear whilst I was putting it all together but now the clouds are in. I had time to get focused on Capella though.

Which brings me to my next set of observations and I'm afraid I have to say some negative things at this stage.

Focusing. I'm a bit surprised by the feel of the focusser, I know it's big but it's definitely not the "smooth focus motion" as described. Its rougher than I expected & has some tight areas where it gets harder to turn then lurches and eases off again.. The fine focus also feels a bit spongy. But it is usable. I'd say all my other scopes focussers feel smoother than this one though. Maybe its because its new & needs "running in" but I'd have expected that to have been sorted out at QC.

The next thing is the little lever to lock the focus in place. Nice idea but the screw in arm doesn't say tight.. I can see that falling out if it's not re-tightened after every time its touched. There is also the problem of focus shift once it's tightened so you have to compensate in the same way as you would if it was a screw lock. No different to the 80ED!

I agree with Gina about the manual... no point looking in there for any thing to do with any component what so ever of an Esprit. How to adjust the focusser ( if it can be) would be nice. Oh and yes.. if you like to be able to adjust your camera's orientation to fit the target on the sensor... You'll not be able to do it with this focusser as far as I can see. You need to add a rotator in there somewhere.

Ok.. maybe it sounds like I'm not happy. Thats not the case, I'm the owner of an 80ED & they suffer with the focussers so I'm kind of not surprised. The reason we all buy 80ED's is because of the optics and that is what I'm looking forward to finding out with the Esprit. If it's as good a triplet as the 80ED is a doublet then who cares if the focusser is rough.

It's funny because this is all bringing back memories of when I first got my 80ED & its some of the same things I'm picking up on, although there were a lot more with the 80ED but included flakes of paint/debris on the optics, focusser needing sorting out. I have to say though that the Esprit is better finished & feels nice & solid although I would like to put it side by side with the WO GT-81 Triplet as I reckon my ZS71 has a better overall finish & feel. For instance.. look at the paint flaking off around the dew shield cover... It's not rocket science to see where that's going to end up!

post-11176-0-41992600-1383952470_thumb.j

For size comparison here is is sat on the mount beside my 80ED.. it does look bigger than it actually is as its nearer the camera though.

post-11176-0-73510600-1383952689_thumb.j

And eagerly awaiting first light... :grin:

post-11176-0-07550400-1383952764_thumb.j

This scope is being touted as a rival for the premium brands, I've heard it said on here that Skywatcher have turned a corner with regards their new scopes, mounts etc. I hope that you get these niggles sorted, but I'd not be expecting such basic flaws observed with the focuser in a premium brand. This is after all part of the scope that we NEED to work well and properly.

Looks like Skywatcher QC has gone back to what it was :(  Sorry to read about your focuser is rough because mine is super smooth.  Hope that doesn't sound like gloating because it isn't meant to be.  I haven't actually tried the focus lock lever as yet because I have my DIY motor drive fitted.  Also, I haven't yet had the chance to try imaging with the scope anywhere vertical so don't know how well the focuser will hold focus but being rack and pinion I would expect it to be fine.  It's friction drive ones that give the trouble.

I agree about the screw on cap - too fiddly by far.   Seemed a good idea until it came to using it!  No, I don't like it.

Oh and I didn't get any of those blue balls.  I wonder what that's about - must cost more for the balls and the cut out holes they appeared to go in.  Wonder if there's anything clever you could do with them :D

The case design has changed too.  Mine is longer with the finder scope at the focuser end of the scope.

Hi Sp@ced,

Glad to hear that yours arrived.  Looks like Skywatcher has made a few changes to the packing case that comes with it yours is in a different format to mine.  Also Like Gina, my focuser is super smooth.  I know  what you mean about the screw top lid but i haven't noticed any flecks on mine but from now on i will be unscrewing it with the scope pointing down to mitigate that.  Looking forward to your first light
Cheers John

Ah.. interesting about the changes to the case already. I wonder if they are sourced separately at distribution level rather than manufacturing?

I take no offence of other peoples positive experiences Gina, I'd be shocked if they were all bad. I'd also be suspicious if every review I read were the same anyway. I expect I've just got a "Friday one"...  oh wait.. I did get it yesterday :grin:

Anyway, I'm happy to tweak if it's all that's required but as you say Sara, these are touted as "premium" contenders. I'm just telling it as it is and my experience so far is more "Skywatcher" than "Esprit". It obviously hadn't been tested. I doubt they all are anyway, QC would probably only pick a sample. However if I were launching a premium product I'd want the first lot out to be impeccable!

I still have to get first light... and that is what its all about anyway.

Whilst typing this I've just remembered something...

30 or so years ago.. Back in the days when Britain was still clinging onto a manufacturing industry. I asked someone why they always bought the bottom of the range from a Prestige German car manufacturer, when for the same money he could have the top of the range fully loaded <just about any other manufacturer>.

His reply was...  "Simple, they don't know how to make a bad car"

It would be of little surprise if standards fell off after say a year of production and everyone had said "what a marvellous piece of kit they produce nowadays", but to fall off after the first one or two batches had gone out is more than a surprise :(

Oh and yes.. if you like to be able to adjust your camera's orientation to fit the target on the sensor... You'll not be able to do it with this focusser as far as I can see. You need to add a rotator in there somewhere.

I did this by using the spacer ring that is the first threaded item nearest to the telescope.  I just undid the adapter for the flattener to get the rotational alignment that i wanted  and then retightened the spacer to lock it in place.

Hope thats right.  When i first saw the telescope, i thought it would be something to do with the "ships wheel" spokes but they appear to be ornamental.   Hopefully Skywatcher will have a PDF manual online soon so we will find the official way

John

I did this by using the spacer ring that is the first threaded item nearest to the telescope.  I just undid the adapter for the flattener to get the rotational alignment that i wanted  and then retightened the spacer to lock it in place.

Hope thats right.  When i first saw the telescope, i thought it would be something to do with the "ships wheel" spokes but they appear to be ornamental.   Hopefully Skywatcher will have a PDF manual online soon so we will find the official way

John

Yes I see that would work..but not as sleek as a proper rotator. I also thought the "capstan wheel" would be it too...

I've worked out whats happened about the end cap. Seems its actually the whole end trim thats come off. It was cold welded to the cap by some rough edges. I've managed to split them now. I thought the tube end finish was a bit rough! I dont like the screw in cap though. Still gets stuck to the end rim.

Getting some subs tonight at least.. moons about & seeing is not great but hopefully it'll be enough to get excited about.. :smiley:

post-11176-0-68564700-1384029482_thumb.j

post-11176-0-53625200-1384029469_thumb.j

It is good to see your telescope has arrived. It sounds like the screw-on cap was screwed on a little too tight so when removed it unscrewed the front of the dew-shield. Easily fixed and no harm done but a shame if it was like that out of the box. That aside, I rather like screw-on caps. But that might just be me :smiley:

Up until yours everyone has been impressed with the focuser but if it feels rough and there are some specks on the inside surface of the objective I think we'd better collect it and send you another. Unless you would rather keep it and adjust it yourself? 

The balls are an unusual approach to packing. I have a feeling the three yellow ones are actually tennis balls. 

HTH, 

Steve :smiley:

It is good to see your telescope has arrived. It sounds like the screw-on cap was screwed on a little too tight so when removed it unscrewed the front of the dew-shield. Easily fixed and no harm done but a shame if it was like that out of the box. That aside, I rather like screw-on caps. But that might just be me :smiley:

Up until yours everyone has been impressed with the focuser but if it feels rough and there are some specks on the inside surface of the objective I think we'd better collect it and send you another. Unless you would rather to keep it and adjust it yourself? 

The balls are an unusual approach to packing. I have a feeling the three yellow ones are actually tennis balls. 

HTH, 

Steve :smiley:

:icon_salut:  :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Kudos - Half past 9 on a saturday night.   Thats why FLO has such a good reputation

:icon_salut:  :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Kudos - Half past 9 on a saturday night.   Thats why FLO has such a good reputation

Yes exactly why I've never been worried if there are possible issues with this particular scope because I know I'm in safe hands.

Steve, I was going to contact you on Monday to check if you're happy for me to take a closer look at the focuser first. I'll be looking to find a motor to fit it anyway so I'm happy to see if I can sort things but beyond adjustment obviously I don't want to invalidate warranties.

Ok.. lets get to the important stuff.... some stars.. :grin:

Now I thought I was pretty close with the spacing but I'm sure I'm looking at some iffy stuff around the edge and that's with a 314L+

It's looking like a fussy wee thing.. :tongue: !!  I'm going to have to recheck my spacing I think.

Here's a couple of subs from different parts of the sky, no processing all I've done is convert to jpeg...

120s Luminance

post-11176-0-29160100-1384043642_thumb.j

300 Luminance

post-11176-0-29155000-1384044005_thumb.j

I think it has become clear that a variable optical length adapter is required between the flattener and filter wheel so that's what I shll make when I have the facilities.

Hmm.. I hadn't noticed this before, I've been having another go at the spacing & noticed that the inside of the FF to M48 adapter is threaded for a 2" filter :grin:

I like to have an IDAS LP in the nosepiece normally & was wondering how to get that in. Only problem is its the sensor side of the FF so adds some back focus which might be a problem for DSLR users. Anyway, I've now got 56mm spacing to the face of the adapter,  which if I've got my head on after the allnighter compensates for the 2 filters that'll be in the train now.

Hi Sp@ced,

That was where i screwed in my IDAS filter too when i was getting distorted stars.  But I'm hoping  that my inability to change the distance for the camera sensor in the DLSR was the primary cause of this.

Think the idas filter is 2.5 mm +/-  0.1mm    so say 0.8mm  + whatever is 1/3 of your other filter on top of the 54.9mm off the back of the M48.

John

Hi Sp@ced,

That was where i screwed in my IDAS filter too when i was getting distorted stars.  But I'm hoping  that my inability to change the distance for the camera sensor in the DLSR was the primary cause of this.

Think the idas filter is 2.5 mm +/-  0.1mm    so say 0.8mm  + whatever is 1/3 of your other filter on top of the 54.9mm off the back of the M48.

John

Ah.. yes that will be a problem.. you'll need to get in front. On the 80ED thats easywith a FLO adapter.  of course the other fix is you'll just have to go CCD then John :grin: :grin:

Are you sure that the Captain's Wheel spokes are ornamental? On my TEC they allow the entire focuser assembly to rotate. Please tell me they're real.

If they really are ornamental then the decision to put them there was so naff as to beggar belief. The furry dice has landed.

Olly

Archived