Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sp@ce_d 's Esprit 80

I waited quite a while before I tried an OAG. I'd been reading and soaking up other peoples experiences & the tales of woe of some of the poorer designs for a while as I didn't want to make a mistake. I've been using an ST80 and finder/guider for a couple of years or so without issues. However, now I'm running a triple shooter I need to keep the weight down and it was logical to try the integrated FW/OAG. Although the 5 position is limiting & if it were a single scope setup I'd want 7 at a minimum.

If I were running the Esprit on it's own I'd either use a finder/guider or the FW/OAG (spacing isn't going to be an issue). I don't think the results are noticeable between the two from what I've seen so far.

However, now I've been using this particular combination (SX CoStar / SX mini FW/OAG) thats going to be my first choice. BUT... I am using it on the WO ZS71. It's not on the Esprit as I'm running 3 scopes on the mount and the results are looking good. The current setup on the mount is ZS71 -- Esprit80 -- ZS66 ( triple shooter config). I did have an 80ED on there in various positions with the OAG but I had weird issues and took it off.. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/200485-why-are-guiding-errors-only-showing-with-esprit80/

I haven't got to the bottom of why only the Esprit showed those errors in that thread but all looks good now with a lighter load with the current setup so I'll use that as an excuse to justify an EQ8 in the future,, :grin:

Now back to the subject of the thread.. the Esprit is looking much like the 80ED did to me when I first got it. There are some quirks.. with the 80ED it's the focuser.. with the Esprit I'd say its the rotator. It's a bit clunky. I'm used to the WO's loosen a screw & smoothly rotate. et voila. With the Esprit it's fight with the capstan wheel and try to compensate for rotation when you tighten! However, It's the optics that excel on the 80ED and I'm feeling the same & pretty excited about the performance of the optics on the Esprit so far. It's frustrating because spacing has taken longer to sort out than I expected and I haven't had any really nice clean skies to take my time testing it under yet. However, I've certainly noticed the difference when processing the subs. I don't have another triplet to judge it against but looking at what I'm getting out of it so far and seeing the results from other triplets, I feel that if I wanted to improve on this I would be wasting my time and money by not making the next step up a Tak though.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There isn't a strong argument in favour of using an OAG with short-tube refractors because, as Olly often reminds us, they can be setup and locked nice and solid. Your 250 PDS, on the other hand, with it's large rolled-steel tube is prone to differential flexure (the telescope body flexes more than your guidescope).  An OAG solves this problem. Your C11 SCT, with it's long 2800mm focal length, would also benefit from an OAG. 

HTH :smiley:

Indeeeed! I first got it for the 250. Both the 250 and C11 bring the mount quite close to its imaging weight limit too, hence the next advantage for an OAG. I'm not using the 250 so much right now while in collimation hell, and never planned on imaging with the C11, so the OAG's collecting some dust.

Think i'll be ordering a scope from you guys tomorrow, thinking about the Equinox 80 so it can serve as a second imaging scope down the line.

I'll let the thread move onward with its original topic now  :tongue:

Now back to the subject of the thread.. the Esprit is looking much like the 80ED did to me when I first got it. There are some quirks.. with the 80ED it's the focuser.. with the Esprit I'd say its the rotator. It's a bit clunky. I'm used to the WO's loosen a screw & smoothly rotate. et voila. With the Esprit it's fight with the capstan wheel and try to compensate for rotation when you tighten! However, It's the optics that excel on the 80ED and I'm feeling the same & pretty excited about the performance of the optics on the Esprit so far. It's frustrating because spacing has taken longer to sort out than I expected and I haven't had any really nice clean skies to take my time testing it under yet. However, I've certainly noticed the difference when processing the subs. I don't have another triplet to judge it against but looking at what I'm getting out of it so far and seeing the results from other triplets, I feel that if I wanted to improve on this I would be wasting my time and money by not making the next step up a Tak though.

Hi Sp@ced,

I totally agree with what you have said above about there are a few quirks mechanically, but optically it is spot on with the right spacing.  I had my field rotator sorted by the Skywatcher distributors and its now very smooth and works a treat.  Unfortunately it has to go back again as the focuser has now developed a "thud" when racking in and out with a camera attached.  The "thud" is a periodic small slippage in the position as I am focusing. Don't think it would be a problem if the scope was obsy mounted as you can set the focus and leave it is set for a while. But as i have to set up each time, it is a pain.  I am now in a quandary whether to return the scope and get a refund or get it fixed by the distributor again. The results optically(both for imaging and visually i might add)  are very good, its just a shame that it has to be "wrangled" mechanically to get it to behave.

John

Steve @ FLO spent some time on my replacement scope getting the focuser adjusted and it's fine.  The first few scopes that SW sent out were given a pretty good QA but it seems the later ones are not so good.  However, it seems even a few of the early ones had the odd fault - your focuser, my optics, for example.

I totally agree with what you have said above about there are a few quirks mechanically, but optically it is spot on with the right spacing.  

That has been our findings too :smiley:

Optically it delivers as promised. The duff images posted so far are due entirely to spacing issues, of that I am sure. It didn't help that the spacing details weren't available until a few days after launch and some US retailers were quoting a spacing distance measured from the rear flattener element, not the mating surface. At f5 there is no room for error. Spacing must be spot-on.

Mechanically there are some relatively minor assembly issues that need to be addressed - mostly focuser adjustment and the capstan wheel. I think there must be someone at the factory who doesn't realise the capstan wheel is for adjustment, they probably think it holds the focuser on so must be screwed down extra tight  :rolleyes2:

Currently we (SteveB and myself) are checking and adjusting every Esprit-80 and Esprit-100 prior to dispatch so our customers will not encounter these assembly issues. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• 3 weeks later...

They are real, not ornamental.

Fuzzy balls, yes. Furry dice, no. Sorry :wink:

So just to be clear, the focuser attaches to the main tube via that Silver ring with the 4 little silver prongs on it i.e. the captains wheel. You can undo this ring and then rotate the focuser in the same way that the Equinox one works?

I've just checked on mine and that ring doesn't want to move. I haven't applied much force to it yet and wanted check that it SHOULD move before applying more force. Any advice for freeing it the the first time?

I hope it's not stuck!!!

Cheers

Stuart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So just to be clear, the focuser attaches to the main tube via that Silver ring with the 4 little silver prongs on it i.e. the captains wheel. You can undo this ring and then rotate the focuser in the same way that the Equinox one works?

I've just checked on mine and that ring doesn't want to move. I haven't applied much force to it yet and wanted check that it SHOULD move before applying more force. Any advice for freeing it the the first time?

I hope it's not stuck!!!

Cheers

Stuart

Yes it does unscrew, I know it doesn't seem like it! I used one of those Boa rubber strap wrench thingys to hold the tube whilst forcing the capstan wheel.. took a little bit of effort which was unnerving :eek:

Yes it does unscrew, I know it doesn't seem like it! I used one of those Boa rubber strap wrench thingys to hold the tube whilst forcing the capstan wheel.. took a little bit of effort which was unnerving :eek:

Thanks, I have a Boa strap as well so will try that. I assume its normal anti clockwise undo thread and not reversed or anything silly like that?

Question is why so tight out the factory? Isn't this a design feature of the scope that people will use?

It's shaping up to be a great scope isn't it, I shot a load of subs last night with my 428 OSC and everything looks good so far.

Stu

Thanks, I have a Boa strap as well so will try that. I assume its normal anti clockwise undo thread and not reversed or anything silly like that?

Question is why so tight out the factory? Isn't this a design feature of the scope that people will use?

It's shaping up to be a great scope isn't it, I shot a load of subs last night with my 428 OSC and everything looks good so far.

Stu

Yes normal thread direction. It might feel like one of the capstan handles will snap off so I used a heavy glove to protect and tried to spread the load across with a spread out hand.

Archived