SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telrad risers, 2" or 4"?

I've been waiting for these to be restocked for few weeks now...and fortunately FLO have received a  new shipment. The original plan was a 4" riser for my 6" refractor since it sometimes got me crouching on my knees like in a war trench. Now it seems like a good idea for the  Dobsonian as well, but not quite sure - considering I haven't had first light with it yet - whether  a 2" is a wiser option. I don't know to be honest and will appreciate some insight from those with similar set-up.

I opted for the 4" riser on the basis that I wanted to make the biggest difference from the basic Telrad. No regrets, the only problem being my clumsiness bringing the scope out of the shed and catching the Telrad on the door, causing it to ping off!

I use the 2" riser on my 12" Flextube and will use the same on the 16" Lightbridge. It's dead comfy and easy to look through. I always thought 4" risers were for much larger dobs (eg 20"+) where you need a step ladder to get to the eyepiece. I figured it was to raise the Telrad above thicker flanges on the top box, and/or other accessories or shroud, that may be in the way of a lower mounted one. :)

Mine arrived yesterday from FLO.  I opted for the 4" riser for my cpc800.  

It was nice not having to adopt some sort of martial arts stance in order to see through it with the scope near the zenith. I am loathed however to stick the base plate onto the tube using the sticky pads so I lashed it on temporary with a couple of plastic click lock belts

borrowed from a couple of pairs of walking trousers. I might see if I can get some really small ones and adopt this as a mounting method and replace the sticky pads with some soft hypalon foam from one of my redundant fishing rod handles. As long as I position it in the same place, the alignment should only require a slight adjustment each time which is enough for when I am setting up the goto alignment.

I have the 2" and it's fine for me.  I'd be concerned about the ease with which the 4" might get caught on things when the OTA is being moved if you have to drag it through doorways and suchlike.

James

I've just received my 2" today. In the end I decided to skip the 4" for reasons of hooking up to something or knocking stuff while moving. I'm glad I got the 2", it seems more than enough for me...and I can see that a riser double the height would've been a problem for me while trying to carry the tube from the lounge into the tight kitchen and through the back door then into the garden.

Those protrusions and doorways can get nasty.  The rigel sticks up a bit too, but not too much for that to be a nuisance, but  I watch it carefully as I lift the OTA through the doors. Something I did not think about much when I bough my flextube, but it is nice to carry through  narrow doors since nothing is in front of your face, you can see where you are going very easily using the rims to pick it up, even of that is not the easiest on the back, but since I have no back issues it is no bother to me.

I always did wonder when looking for second hand dobs why so often minor dents are mentioned, now I know why, and how easily that can happen and where they come from. :smiley:

looks a nice bit of kit. I used to have a 4" riser on my 200p dob . I never had an issue with moving the scope as I tended to remove it from the base before taking the scope in. but the 2" looks to do the job perfectly well.  look forward to some reports .

• 2 weeks later...

To emadmoussa

Yes i wrapped my 10" dob in foam which stopped my dew soaking problem that i was getting with the scope without any covering on it!

I brought a 1/4" thick sheet and doubled it up making a 1/2" blanket so to speak!, then wrapped the scope fixing with duck tape,

I made a foam tube for my finder scope and the telrad finder cover also, which stopped that dewing up with both of those as well ,  :smiley: 

The riser surely makes life easier, but the Telrad being a Telrad you'll still need to crouch and bend to get the target in place. Would've been a bit more difficult without a riser considering the side of the 10" Dob and the position of the Telrad.

Archived