My latest results; NGC457, M39, NGC1333 and NGC7331+

astrovirus

like to share some of my latest results with you, that were obtained between September 28 and October 2.

The main target was NGC1333, which was sort of a testcase to see if I would be able to image dark nebula from my lightpoluted skies (SQM<20) by using very long intergration time. The image was exposed for 22 hours (132x 10 min subs, ISO800), taken with my Peltier-cooled Canon 350Da (TEC@5°C), calibrated with 36 darkframes, 30 bias frames and 30 flats (for each session). Image was captured using Nebulosity 2.4.4, calibrated/stacked using DSS 3.3.2 post-processed using the DSLR-LRGB method in Photoshop CS3. Image was shot on September 28, 29, 30, and October 1, and  2 2013.

NGC1333-2013-DSLR-LRGBfinal2-2000px.jpg

As I had to wait for NGC1333 to come out from behind some buildings in the surroundings, I imaged some open clusters; NGC457 (Owl or ET cluster) and Messier 39.

NGC457, is exposed for 90 minutes (18x 5 min), ISO800, 24 darks, 30 flats and 30 bias frames, taken with my Peltier-cooled Canon 350Da (TEC@5°C). Image was captured using Nebulosity 2.4.4, calibrated/stacked using DSS 3.3.2 post-processed using the DSLR-LRGB method in Photoshop CS3. Image was shot on September 28 2013.
NGC457-2013-DSLR-LRGB-2000px.jpg
M39 is exposed for 120 minutes (24x 5 min), ISO800, 24 darks, 30 flats and 30 bias frames, taken with my Peltier-cooled Canon 350Da (TEC@5°C). Image was captured using Nebulosity 2.4.4, calibrated/stacked using DSS 3.3.2 post-processed using the DSLR-LRGB method in Photoshop CS3. Image was shot on September 29 2013. 
M39-2013-DSLR-LRGB-2000px.jpg
And finally NGC7331 and Stephan's Quintet was also imaged on the last 2 nights when waiting for NGC1333 to rise. Exposed for 3 hours 35 min (15x 10 en 13x 5 min, ISO 800), 36 darks (10 min) + 24 darks (5 min), 30 bias and 30 flats (per session),captured with the peltier cooled Canon 350Da on the 8" newton/MPCC, NEQ6/EQmod/CdC autoguided by 9x50 finderguider/QHY5/PHD. Captured using Nebulosity 2.4.4, calibration/stacking by DSS 3.3.2 and post-processing by DSLR-LRGB in PS CS3.
NGC7331-St-Quintet-2013-DSLR-LRGBfinal2-
Unfortunately this may be the last OSC images I will be able to obtain for some time, as one of the streetlights that's is shining brightly into my garden (decreasing the SQM by about 1,5 magnitude) has been modified after a complaint from a neighbour (who hasn't mentoined this durning the last 4 years that I have allready been doing this), so that i can no loinger turn it off during my sessions. All the other neighbours had agreed that is was OK to turn the light off as it isn't located directly to a public road, but at the inner garden of our appartment building. OSC imaging will by likely impossible until I can move my gear to my balcony which is above the light, but this will need to construction of a permanent observatory, for which I am still garthering funds.
Thanks for watching,
Regards Tim

absolutely stunning those star colors are really really good

I agree, thee star colours and resolution look amazing to me. Excellent. Pity about the light situation, good luck with the setup.

Barry

Hi Tim,

I absolutely love them, superb colour and nice tight stars. You have my sympathy with regards to your neighbour. My next door doctor's surgery have now proceeded to put up 5 security lights less than 10 meters from my back garden that stay on all night regardless.  Now even on a clear night I struggle to see the main W of cassiopia.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks for the warm comments everone. Yes, I'm also very pleased with star colors I'm able to obtain with my DSLR, I think the secret is in carefull stretching to preserve the stars and then increase saturation (Adam Block method (Make 3 copies of image in layers, top layer "luminosity" blend mode, middle layer "soft light"blend mode, and bottom layer "normal" blend mode, and selective color (Reds, -100% Cyan, Yellows -100% Cyan, Blues +100% Cyan and -100 Yellow), as these methods tend to leave the color noise at base.

Hi Tim,

I absolutely love them, superb colour and nice tight stars. You have my sympathy with regards to your neighbour. My next door doctor's surgery have now proceeded to put up 5 security lights less than 10 meters from my back garden that stay on all night regardless.  Now even on a clear night I struggle to see the main W of cassiopia.

Regards,

A.G

Thats handy, when you beat the lard out of him/her, they can self treat..

Definitely worth asking if they can turn them off some nights, if not all the time.

Barry

Nice to see somebody else approaching DSLR processing in the LRGB fashion, it really helps you get a handle on the noise.

But, I reckon youve probably found out just how hard NGC1333 is from light polluted skies :)  Ive tried it in the back garden with a CCD and it didnt work out so well, needs a dark place I think.

In regard to the light.... a bucket/bag/black paint on a stick? Otherwise the only way to go will be narrowband.

Thanks for the comments. Yes NGC1333 is indeed a very hard target from LP skies, but it was a very nice test to see what's possible with very long overall exposure. I agree it is much simpler to do them from true darks skies and these targets will probably be reserved for fututre holidays to France. The LRGB approach was the biggest leap forward I made over the last year and provides a lot more oppertunities for OSC imagers to get the most out of their images.

Archived