Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Longest Spell

Pig

This has got to be the longest period that I have been unable to get out for a session since I started 12 months ago :smiley:

There has been the odd clear patch, normally around 3am, other than that It has to be about 4 weeks since I have managed to get the scope outside :shocked:

In all fairness it hasn't been a complete famine as I have had the binoculars out in between the night clouds and I have also sneaked a little solar observing in  :smiley:

(I still haven't tried my 31mm Nagler properly since I bought it)

What is the longest period for you guys ?

A similar story here guys, the paucity of recent opportunities has been very frustrating. Mind you, the start of the barren period did coincide with the arrival of my FSQ85, so I've only myself to blame I guess!

Longest spell for me weather wise was back in April/May time when it just wouldn't stop raining and there was pretty much constant cloud cover for about two or three weeks. What I find more troubling is the constant 'family & friends' commitments I have to attend, week after week. If it isn't some celebration of some saint or deity, it's weddings, baptisms, communions, anniversaries. Without exaggeration from this September right through to next May there's at least one a month and they always fall on the weekends.

I've concluded that Stargazing can be a tiresome journey, stealing looks when we can with work, family, light pollution and weather all conspiring to keep us indoors. It's a long road and on the portal of every entry into astronomy ought to be inscribed: You will suffer for this and be grieved but there will be adventure and wonderful times.

As such, I feel we all have a duty to hang on in there :grin:.

The sky - after all - is a trusting and good companion. The years will tick by, so much will happen and on one of those days there will be Jupiter, back where it was originally all those years ago when we started out as younger man. The passing of a true companion will be dated by the stars that were in the sky that night; the phases of the moon will mark a trying time and its soft light will blanket a tender evening we spent with our loved ones.

The evening sky will be there to console us when the hustle and bustle of daily life has taken its toll and when we become a little too much of ourselves and others there will be the ancient galaxies and stars to gently nudge us back into place. And when we are older and looking back, all these cloudy, uneventful evenings will appear to us as a singular, non-descript event, yet shining from them like a host of gleaming stars will be those stargazing evenings where everything just seemed perfect and the universe could at last murmur to us its secrets.

I've not been out since 4th September, entirely down to the weather.  There have been occasional patches of clear sky when I've woken up at, say, 4am, but whilst I'm quite used to late nights I really can't function on that little sleep, especially if it's only for a couple of hours observing at the most.  There have been a couple of nights when the sky has been apparently clear and I've partially set up but the seeing has been diabolical.

My last solar image was 4th September too.  I could have managed a couple since then, but only by sitting out at the scope waiting for the gaps, and the mortgage has to get paid somehow.  If there was a good clear period where I could take an hour off an guarantee a result I'd do it, but we've not even had that.

The weather forecast for this week stinks: non-stop rain for five days.  I think I'll have no problem reaching two months without a viable observing opportunity, day or night.

James

Wow. Well I know it was poor last year-about a month went by with rain etc. during the end of June-July 2012 but I really thought this year was much better for observing. I just checked my observing log for 2012, the entry for  the 27th July last year which I made during a particularly lean observing period was-"Almost a month since clear skies. It’s still rather light until quite late to observe but I thought I would record for posterity that we have had almost incessant rain and cloud since June. At least 3 clear nights are now forecast since the Jet Stream moved back North." I don't know Pig if this will cheer you up or not, however I do hope things improve for you.

I have found switching to binoculars has certainly increased the number of my observing sessions this year. My observing logs for the two years show 15 night's observing from April to the end of September in 2012 and 24 occasions for this year. I put a lot down to investing in some Helios Apollo 15x70 HD binoculars which are quick to set up to take advantage of those breaks that come. I have also seen so much more with my binoculars that my telescopes have hardly been used at all although I hope to use the SCT when ISON becomes visible later in the year. My clearest night for observing ever here was the 12th August this year when I could actually make out the Milky Way from a light polluted suburban sky.

Chin up.

Cheers,

Steve

I havent been out for 7 months but this was entirely down to my work shifts coinciding with every new moon, I've also had some other life 'issues' to deal with. I very nearly gave up astronomy all together infact I had to sell my little collection of green and black EP's and was so close to selling my scope but I'm so glad I didn't because I'm now more excited than ever to get back to observing again.

If anything having a break has only strengthened my resolve to enjoy astronomy even more! :)

As for the weather..... ah well what will be will be, no point worrying about something you cant change!

Things haven't been too bad recently, my last imaging session was on the 5th, but the only clear night since then coincided with the full moon and I'm beginning to get restless.

My weather station has been telling me that this is the longest period of rainy days (19 consecutuve days and counting) 'since records began' (OK I've only had the weather station since the end of March but still  :smile:).

In the past due to various circumstances I've had astronomy famines of a few months so times have been worse. 

If only we could all live at Les Granges :smile:

I'm positive last year would of been the worst, surely it would of been 6 months apart from holidays, the odd solar obs and maybe some eyeballing meteor showers.

The weather really was that grim in Belgium. It's probably true that there may of been half a dozen clear nights but life gets in the way and you can't always do what you  want. This period too probably coincided with a deeper gloom though and the dismal weather only helped in exacerbating the need to move on.

Prolonged poor weather can really effect people physically and mentally, especially when a persons family life and escape time(ie; hobby, astronomy) rely upon better weather.

Now I can be gloomy all I like but at least it's 29°C in the middle of October and there is a 50/50 chance of putting the scope out as opposed to nil.

:D

Prolonged poor weather can really effect people physically and mentally, especially when a persons family life and escape time(ie; hobby, astronomy) rely upon better weather.

I really, truely think there is something in that, JB80. Too much cloud cover and not enough blue skies must start to play on the spirits.

Great weather in Spain though, right :evil: (unless you're in Galicia). I know this week we'll have a little cloud but don't you just enjoy these summerish temperatures in the middle of October, JB80 :grin: I'm heading up on the roof for a little solar work. Might even treat myself to an afternoon cocktail in the Sun (not rubbing it in lads, honest, honest :grin: ).

I really, truely think there is something in that, JB80. Too much cloud cover and not enough blue skies must start to play on the spirits.

Great weather in Spain though, right :evil: (unless you're in Galicia). I know this week we'll have a little cloud but don't you just enjoy these summerish temperatures in the middle of October, JB80 :grin: I'm heading up on the roof for a little solar work. Might even treat myself to an afternoon cocktail in the Sun (not rubbing it in lads, honest, honest :grin: ).

Summer weather in October, eh?  That explains why it's bucketing down...

James

Ooh a cocktail is a bit fancy for me, I'll settle for a cold cerveza on the terrace watching the colourful sunset. :D

It has been a bit cloudy of late, certainly not what I signed on for. Swings and roundabouts huh?

To be honest though I do think there is something in it, Vitamin D deficiency is well documented. Even the doctors up north prescribed it for us.

I think conditioning plays a lot too, I mean I speant nearly 30 years in Australia, it was all I had ever known and to be stuck in overcast skies for two years between 5° and 15° is a little culture shock.

Sorry for not replying sooner guys but I have had an absolute stinker of a day :shocked:

I do like to respond to all threads in posts I start but 13 posts in one hit is too many for me :smiley:

It has been a long time but as Calvin says hopefully November may be a tad kinder to us all :smiley:

Qualia you do have a marvellous way with words, always comforting and very well versed :smiley:

James, Steve, Mike, JB, Mike, Rob ,Shine & Roger thank you for contributing to the thread.

Maybe we will all get a well deserved weather break soon :grin:

Jonathan,

I must admit it is quite some time, not quite 5 -6 weeks yet :smiley:  

On the plus side all of my equipment is sparkling clean :grin:

I don't quite go that far, dust caps are there to keep the dust (that inevitably builds up) off the important bits!

Archived