• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The extra aperture will show reasonably noticeably with deep sky objects but somewhat less so with lunar and planetary observing. So weather the additional costs are worth it depends on your interests and available funding I suppose.

There are plenty of satisfied owners of both scopes on here  :smiley:

Tough call........

Most of the 200mm & 250mm Dobs are 1200mm focal length, so the tubes are the same length, but the 250 is fatter & heavier.

Most of the 200mm Dobs are F6, so not quite so fussy with collimation and a bit less need for well corrected (and expensive) eyepieces, compared with the 250mm Dobs.

The 250 will see a bit fainter, and cost more.

Like I said, tough call........best to weigh up those factors, perhaps get to a dealer with a showroom if you can to see them 'in the flesh' and  try the weight etc.

Both are popular and useful, either could be a long term scope, capable of a lot.

All the best in your decision, Ed.

is there a huge difference in the 200p and 250px is it worth the extra spend???

You will be paying double the money for 50% more aperture (and the fold down tube)

As said above, try to see one in the flesh.

We went to a local club event and asked questions about the 250P which was set up on the night.

Richard (the owner) ran through the pro's and cons for us.

He even told me to pick it up to feel the weight.

The highlight was being shown the ring nebula, and the finer detail in the star clusters.

We ended up buying the 200P dob based on value for money, portability, and storage space.

Don't forget all the extra's you might need for whichever one you decide to buy.

Optional for both = eyepiece upgrades / and OIII or UHC filter.

Must have for the 200P = a £15 water butt stand (unless you own a high seat / are less than 5ft tall / and have a 90 degree finder scope already)

Optional for the 250PX = a shroud for the exposed tube section.

Note that the 250px mirror is available in both solid tube and flextube versions - as, indeed, is the 200p.

I'm quite tempted by the 250px solid tube myself. It's 55% (ish) extra cost over the 200p for 56% (ish) more light gathering, so there isn't much in it.

Hello beardy. In your sig I also  notice that you already have a 130m scope.  Depending on experience already obtained and how you feel about it, going form 5  to 8 or 5 to 10 inches is up to you, but worth considering carefully. Both will be quite a jump in light gathering in any case.  While personally starting out new, if one is wiling to spend the cash I'd say buy a 8 inch Dob as an ideal starter scope, but in this case, seeing you already own a scope it depends what you want from it,  what your expectations are.

Either way both will be great scopes and a step forward, but for deep sky the 10 inch will pack that little more punch, as well as considering what has already been said of course. 

Good luck with what whatever you buy :smiley:

both scopes will give great views. the 10" is not that much bigger or heavier really. personally, I tend to think about the next scope and a good jump is maybe 50% of aperture by diameter. so a jump from a 8" to 12" is a great jump and a 10" to a 16" is also a great jump. a 16" scope is howver a much larger system altogether and therefore perhaps as a 10" to a 12" is not really a jump I'd recommend on this criterion, an 8" with a view to a future 12" is a good compromise.

Forgot about that - it was the solid tube 250P we were looking through.

Rough prices from memory =

200P £280

250P £440

250PX £540

The owner of the 250P splits the assembly to move it - whereas I can lift the 200p in one piece if required.

it's not the weight so much, as the extra size and bulk.

I can balance the 200P OK when lifting, but it is on the borderline of my reach.

The 250P and PX would be 2" larger diameter to balance the weight at arms length away from your body.

if you get the opportunity - try before you buy

both scopes will give great views. the 10" is not that much bigger or heavier really. personally, I tend to think about the next scope and a good jump is maybe 50% of aperture by diameter. so a jump from a 8" to 12" is a great jump and a 10" to a 16" is also a great jump. a 16" scope is howver a much larger system altogether and therefore perhaps as a 10" to a 12" is not really a jump I'd recommend on this criterion, an 8" with a view to a future 12" is a good compromise.

Agreed, I think the 4 - 5- inch jump is a good rule for the next scope for the next stage sort of thing, so if it were me I'd be thinking the 10. If I already owned the 8, the 12 etc.  as long as the size and weight is manageable of course.

I have a 10 inch solid tube GSO dob and out of the various apertures I have used, such as 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 inch, for me the 10 has struck the best balance between size and weight and general hassle, versus light gathering power. So I would pick the 10, keeping in mind it will be more demanding on eyepieces and checking out just how huge these scopes are before buying! :eek:

One night I was observing with the 10 at home, looking at the faint spiral structure of M51, the Whirlpool galaxy. Although I love my 16 inch dob, it struck me just what a powerful beast a 10 is. Though I think my observing skills have improved a lot and I can possibly see more in a 10 now than I used to be able to see in a 12.

I have a 10 inch solid tube GSO dob and out of the various apertures I have used, such as 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 16 inch, for me the 10 has struck the best balance between size and weight and general hassle, versus light gathering power. So I would pick the 10, keeping in mind it will be more demanding on eyepieces and checking out just how huge these scopes are before buying! :eek:

One night I was observing with the 10 at home, looking at the faint spiral structure of M51, the Whirlpool galaxy. Although I love my 16 inch dob, it struck me just what a powerful beast a 10 is. Though I think my observing skills have improved a lot and I can possibly see more in a 10 now than I used to be able to see in a 12.

Bang on. I think Luke and I might have the same set ups. I agree, love the 16" on those long sessions, but I really love the 10". Very easy to whip in and out. Last morning, got up at 5am for a GRS transit. Stuck the scope outside with bleary eyes. Made the kids sandwiches (I know, what a husband!!!!), made a coffee and went outside. Couple of mins later the scope was collimated and was watching Jupiter and the noew lovely orangey GRS. Packed up around 6.15 and off to work. Couldn't do that with the 16".  Came home from work, sat down, stared unblinkingly into the middle distance, then went to bed. Got the GRS beautifully, though :grin::wink:

Great scope.

Get the most aperture you can handle.

Barry

Decision aide it's the 8 inch for me but thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Good choice.

For what it's worth I now think it made a bit more sense than the 10" as it will be easier on eyepieces and makes upgrading to the next significant upgrade (12") easier. A 12" is a lot easier to move than a 16".

My advice to all beginners would be get it right first time .... Buy the best scope u can first time and you will be happy for years to come. I bought the 130 and it was a mistake I should of got the bigger dob straight away bit just for apatite but for simplistic no hassle use it's a winner hands down!

My advice to all beginners would be get it right first time .... Buy the best scope u can first time and you will be happy for years to come. I bought the 130 and it was a mistake I should of got the bigger dob straight away bit just for apatite but for simplistic no hassle use it's a winner hands down!

Hi mate. Iv been reading your this with great interest. I'm to a beginner and have been looking at this and that. Their is so much to choose from and I agree with all what has been said.

It is best to look into it and read before you buy.

I will be buying a skywatcher skyline 150p dob. Which I think is more than good enough for me. Plus I have seen that it is good to start astronomy with.

Sorry I didn't wright it in the reply box lol.

Hi mate. Iv been reading your this with great interest. I'm to a beginner and have been looking at this and that. Their is so much to choose from and I agree with all what has been said.

It is best to look into it and read before you buy.

I will be buying a skywatcher skyline 150p dob. Which I think is more than good enough for me. Plus I have seen that it is good to start astronomy with.

also to consider, if you buy the 200 when it arrives you will think good choice, then you will get first light and think good choice but then you will think I wonder how much better the 250 would be, and you will never be satisfied until you do get the 250. just go the whole hog and be done with it

aperture fever is an issue but where does it stop. if you get the 8" you'll wonder about the 10" if you get the 10" you'll wonder about the 12" ad infinitum.

whether it's a 3" scope, a 6" scope, an 8" scope or a 20" scope, there's lots to see and enjoy and somewhere to go if you want bigger.

buying used is a good option as you lose less money on a resale to move up (some move down too) .

Well, sometimes it's a good thing to start small. I started with the 130P Heritage to get a feel for if I wanted to use a scope or stick to binos. Glad I got that scope. Have had lots of fun with it. Later made a small upgrade to the 150PDS, but that was actually just to get a tripod type mount as I needed to cope with uneven terrain and do some tree dodging in the backyard. Sold the Heritage to a colleague who's enjoying it very much.  But even now with a 12", I still use the 6" quite alot. Super for those quick grab & go sessions and for wider field of view. What I'm trying to say is that even if you get a big(ger) scope, it might be a good idea keep the smaller one.

Archived