NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Horsing Around With The AstroTrac.

StuartJPP

Taken on holiday under less than ideal conditions...I waited a long time over many nights for the cloud to disperse, but it just wasn't happening. Managed to get some subs in the end, but it was a real struggle and they were under a veil of thin cloud and gusty wind.

I have only had a quick process of this one, it is amazing how much you forget not processing often (though that could just be me). I have been waiting since December last year to image this target (when I modified my Canon 1100D) to see how much more Ha is captured.

AstroTrac TT320X

Canon 1100D with Canon 500mm f/4 L IS

50x 90 second subs

I am not too happy about the bloat around Alnitak and the other bright stars though I suppose that is a consequence of using a modified DSLR and a lens.

10196711903_fe49344d7f_b.jpg
Horsehead and Flame Nebula by StuartJPP, on Flickr

That looks like reflection off the chip and rear most element in the lens to me. The bulk of the reflection is moving way from the centre of the image.

Are you using a clip in filter ?

It's still a lesson in how to use an Astrotrac properly,

Dave.

Thanks for comments everyone...

Is the camera a full mod then? I thought a partial mod helped reduce star bloating. Would the thin veil of cloud you mentioned not be responsible for the bloating? Other than that very nice indeed for just over and hour.

Maybe and ir blocking filter? Nice image though

That looks like reflection off the chip and rear most element in the lens to me. The bulk of the reflection is moving way from the centre of the image.

Are you using a clip in filter ?

It's still a lesson in how to use an Astrotrac properly,

Dave.

For this particular imaging session I didn't use my CLS-CCD clip filter, the camera isn't a full spectrum mod as it has still got the front filter intact but no replacement filter. This was taken on the first night and I naively thought that I would get another "better" session in where I was going to use the filter to compare results. Unfortunately that didn't happen :rolleyes:

I did get one sub in with the CLS-CCD and it does help a bit, but there is still massive bloat, though it isn't as purple so I am assuming that it may be more UV than IR getting through without the filter?

Hadn't thought about reflections off the rear element...I know it is quite curved so it is a distinct possibility.

Hopefully we get the opportunity to image this region from within the UK this winter...though I am not holding my breath...I was surprised how high it is already at 2am.

Thats a great image! The star bloat will come from moisture in the air or high thin clouds not the camera lens. Camera lenses tend to produce CA more than star bloat. So I'll bet if you get a clear night and take another shot at this you'll get a great shot like this one again - minus the star bloat though.

Archived