NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Kelling Squid and Bat

davew

I've been waiting quite a while to get the OIII required for this one. On Sunday night at Kelling I gave it my best shot and did 8 X 30 minutes. As you can see that's not nearly enough. The Ha is looking second best as well so I'll have to do more of that too. I should have stayed on it until dawn but played about on another image.

Discovered quite recently by Nicholas Outters, the Squid ( OU4 : 098.5 + 07.9 ) is found in front of SH2-129 the Bat. When you consider how many years it's been imaged, why was it missed by so many ? Faint doesn't help I suppose !

Each sub shows very little of the Squid but the dark north sky of Kelling helped get the background down from 3.5% that I see from home even with the 5nm Filter to 0.5%.

This I now regard as a test image and I hope to add to it at Kielder. If it doesn't snow :eek:

Moravian G2 8300. 5nm Astrodon. 250mm camera lens at f4. EM200 mount. Guided by a DMK on an old 100mm camera lens. Processed as H/O/O

Dave.

PS. The blue bit to the left of the Squid seems to be an internal reflection. I haven't worked out why yet.

Info on the discovery here - http://outters.fr/images%20site%20astro/decouverte-OU4-eu.pdf

post-493-0-49984700-1381420841_thumb.jpg

Very very nice Dave, data is still nice even though as you say you still need more.

The squid actually does look like it's name implies unlike some other objects i can't mention at this time :smiley: , look forward to this being completed as it's the first i have seen on SGL, hat's off to you Dave well done.

Thanks very much for the comments so far :)

Dan. As I live just up the road from you, you'll know OIII is a bit hit and miss with the high cloud. I will try.

Ginger. I know exactly what you mean. I have run it through HLVG and it drops the intensity of the Squid. I did boost it but then it looked false. So. As OIII is right on the cross over of Blue and green, I put it back. The rest of the image doesn't show green other than that damn reflection.

Ewan. Our minds are probably as one re naming. I can only assume some of the weird names actually refer to the visual and not the photographic. I'll hang on for a dark site and complete it.

Cheers,

Dave.

Stunning. We've seen the Bat and we've seen the Squid but this is the best rendition of the double act that I've seen. Indeed I never really knew how big the Squid was in the context of the Bat. It is far bigger than I thought.

This is a remarkable and splendid image, the most interesting that I've seen in a long time.

Olly

I love this Dave. I was surprised by a couple of things, firstly the size of the squid. In your image you've really put the size in context with the bat, and I know how big THAT thing is!! Also, it's nice to know which way it actually lies within the bat. I had it far more horizontal in my mind.

A super and inspiring image - Top class!

Thanks once again to you both.

It is a bit big isn't it ? What a lovely coincidence to be placed where it is. Yet another piece of magic.

Both of you will do a better rendition very soon I have not doubt at all.

I'm really pleased you like it,

Dave.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I have noticed that since I said I want more subs, it's been pretty much cloudy every night. Don't you just love it ?

Dave.

PS. Everyone should have a Dixie ( Richard ). His cooking kept me going all night  :)

Archived