NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope Damian, Soupy, Mark and anyone else who went to Winscarr have had a great viewing session and hopefully even managed Saturn before the clouds descended. We decided to walk home, set off at about 11.30pm and got home at 12.15am, and we could see the clouds coming in as we were walking. The clouds were too thick to make it worth going outside when I got home, so it was kettle on for a coffee and a look on SGL. Hope you guys at Winscarr have had a good one :)

Great evening out with Damian and Mark, clouds to start and clouds to end, but some fine clear skies in between!

Managed a few Messiers, 13 and 57, Venus looked great as did Jupiter but the highlight must have been Saturn.

Looking amazing with three scopes trained on it all with slightly different views and magnifications! Shame the cloud gods put an end to it all, but the appetite is whetted just enough. Not sure if it will be the last chance to get out until after July, with the nights getting shorter, but we live in hope as always :)

I loved it thanks Paul and Damian. It was not the longest time I've been out but first light of Saturn and good company made it well worth the while. Thanks again and look forward to the next time

Has anyone had experience in modding a webcam for astronomy use? If so, does anyone fancy showing me how to mod mine? I have an Advent AWC113. I have been looking on-line and I am stumped how to do it. Any help is appreciated :)

Has anyone had experience in modding a webcam for astronomy use? If so, does anyone fancy showing me how to mod mine? I have an Advent AWC113. I have been looking on-line and I am stumped how to do it. Any help is appreciated :)

Why do u need to do that when u have ur astro cams ? I'm sure u will get better results from ur astro ccd the a web cam

I agree with mark unless you're wanting to use it for planetary. But your Dmk is a really good planetary cam so it would be a shame to use something inferior. I'm having a hard time looking at mounts here it's really not a good thing, this hobby is too addictive

Tell me about being addictive I can't stop buying scopes! ;)

As for modding webcams that's pretty easy Vicky, once you open the casing you just need to remove the IR filter, then if there is no LED put it back together, if there is an LED, you just need to either remove it, short it out or tape it up. :)

I have my DMK, which is great, but it is monochrome and I have not worked out the filter wheel. I have a webcam that is not being used, and I thought I would have a go a using it to see if I could get it to work on the scope. I was just having a play lol. I have taken all the front off, so I just have the chip exposed. I think the IR cut (which if it is just a tiny square of glass) was on the back of the lens that just unscrewed out with the focus ring. Do I need these, or am I right that I just centre my cam in a cut down 35mm film case and stick it in the scope for a cheap colour camera?

post-39306-0-58416900-1431967191_thumb.j

I have done a fair few, not that particular one though

Finished the webcam modification. It was dead easy as the lens and IR filter just screwed off the front with the focus ring. It was an Advent AWC113 if anyone is interested. I had it from my PC which we no longer use, but I think you can still but them. Wrapped loads of tape round it for a tight fit with the 35mm film case (thanks for the heads up on that one Leigh), then it can be swapped round when not in use to put the cap on the end to keep the dust out. Hopefully, job's a good 'un! :)

post-39306-0-47872400-1431971188_thumb.j

Tell me about being addictive I can't stop buying scopes! ;)

As for modding webcams that's pretty easy Vicky, once you open the casing you just need to remove the IR filter, then if there is no LED put it back together, if there is an LED, you just need to either remove it, short it out or tape it up. :)

I have a Microsoft vx 3000 and I am going to mod this

Why do I have to remove the LED

Neil

I have a Microsoft vx 3000 and I am going to mod this

Why do I have to remove the LED

Neil

i think ive got one of these somewhere, i might have to dig it out sometime as it was on my list of things to try and do with the scope anyway

Archived