Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ethos 10mm

jetstream

Well Alan,you were right!(from a different post).I am ordering another Ethos-the 10mm version.I am just picking the vendor now,looks like $570.00 is the best price so far.I have found that in my Dob,the 17mm Ethos is in the focuser more than anything,yet the other night I could have used a premium 10mm -the 8mm Delos was great on some clusters,but a bit much for the nebula I was observing.The coma is not bad in my scope,but eye placement seems more critical in the Ethos-the Delos is more forgiving.I just love that widefield view of the sky...I should have just about all that is needed after this... :huh: except for a couple of Astro-Hutech`s... :grin: oh and the H Beta filter,as I`m going after the Horsehead coming up-I think I'll need all the help I can get on this one.The 10mm Ethos is really going to help me pick apart M42, the Veil and M31....and more... :smiley:

Don't forget the 8mm and 6mm. Yes Gerry the Delos is much easier to use than the Ethos,  I would say the ones I have are much of a muchness as are the Delos range.  Having sais that I don't find any of them difficult, it just takes a bit of getting used to. Hope you get some really great views when you 10mm shows up, I am sure you will like it, funny as it is i have been using mine tonight, first time out for about 5 weeks.

Alan.

The 6mm and 8mm Ethos are killer eyepieces in a large scope for globular clusters - you really get that "Oh my god, it's full of stars !..." feeling    :smiley:

I totally agree. With the C11 i did not get the 6mm as the 8 was as hgh a magnification i needed to go

Oh Oh I may need a second job!My plan is Ethos low/med mag,but if I like the 10mm lots, and I mean lots -I may consider another one... :grin: Those Delos are so good I can't give them up regardless...Off topic a bit-back to the Horsehead,my plan is to try my 16mmT5|(excellent) for a 1 deg FOV to keep Alnitak at bay and the  Ultrabock in December/January when the sky settles down with a nice Arctic airmass.If that doesn't work,then the H Beta and maybe an Ortho.

The 6mm and 8mm Ethos are killer eyepieces in a large scope for globular clusters - you really get that "Oh my god, it's full of stars !..." feeling    :smiley:

You are a wise man John!This was what I thought I needed on Carolines Rose.The Delos,while excellent(to the edge),didn't provide enough FOV to frame the object and give me that little bit extra-I was "in the Rose"-I like when the eyepiece gives enough FOV(keeping the mag) to "get around the cluster",seems to provide a greater contrast view.M13 I might add was mind blowing in my Dob.

My Canadian vendor just agreed to price match the USA price on the Ethos 10mm,I will most likely consolidate all my business with them now,free shipping too.Order in the morning. :grin:

It seems you've caught the bug. You've heard of it haven't you? It's the one that quite quickly results in an empty wallet :evil:...

Gerry ,

That is really good news on the price match for you, if I see pigs flying the next thing will be a price match by a German vendor. They have not moved their prices at all, well at least TS haven't, I don't like using them but have to, unless I am going to UK.

Alan

Gerry ,

That is really good news on the price match for you, if I see pigs flying the next thing will be a price match by a German vendor. They have not moved their prices at all, well at least TS haven't, I don't like using them but have to, unless I am going to UK.

Alan

Alan, Ethos 4.7mm maybe difficult to do anything for the time bein, but Delos,  maybe you can ask German to price match with Swiss.

http://www.astrooptik.ch/

Off topic a bit-back to the Horsehead,my plan is to try my 16mmT5|(excellent) for a 1 deg FOV to keep Alnitak at bay and the  Ultrabock in December/January when the sky settles down with a nice Arctic airmass.If that doesn't work,then the H Beta and maybe an Ortho.

Gerry I hope you are successful seeing the HH with your 10" scope, H.Beta filter (I think you will need it) and the 16mm Nagler . I was lucky enough to view it this year with a 16" Dob, H.Beta Filter and 19mm and 24mm Panoptics. I produced a detailed star chart from Stellarium with the exact FOV with the scope/EP combination. It showed the fainter stars and the exact location of the HH in relation to those faint stars.

Like you I love the Ethos range and recently sold my 26mm Nagler and bought the 21mm Ethos to add to my 8mm and 13mm Ethos. I also use a 10" scope and the 21mm Ethos gave me an exit pupil of 4.4 against 5.5 on the 26mm Nagler. There is a view that to see the HH you need to go to your individual exit pupil limit and for this reason some recommended a 25mm Plossl 50/52 degree FOV as a 'magic bullet' EP - this will give a 5.2 exit pupil (approx) on your scope.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

I already had that with my 8mm BST and also the 6mm SW UWA on M13.  I was most impressed with what a 30 quid eyepiece in the SW UWA already offers, the full of stars feeling and resolving to the core is there in a 10 inch DOB with that eyewear. I can only imagine what an ethos would add to that and suspect that the clarity of it will be enhanced even further  :smiley:  

Gerry I hope you are successful seeing the HH with your 10" scope, H.Beta filter (I think you will need it) and the 16mm Nagler . I was lucky enough to view it this year with a 16" Dob, H.Beta Filter and 19mm and 24mm Panoptics. I produced a detailed star chart from Stellarium with the exact FOV with the scope/EP combination. It showed the fainter stars and the exact location of the HH in relation to those faint stars.

Like you I love the Ethos range and recently sold my 26mm Nagler and bought the 21mm Ethos to add to my 8mm and 13mm Ethos. I also use a 10" scope and the 21mm Ethos gave me an exit pupil of 4.4 against 5.5 on the 26mm Nagler. There is a view that to see the HH you need to go to your individual exit pupil limit and for this reason some recommended a 25mm Plossl 50/52 degree FOV as a 'magic bullet' EP - this will give a 5.2 exit pupil (approx) on your scope.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Hi Mark,what is meant by my individual exit pupil limit?I typically use the minimum exit pupil to do the job to enhance contrast.But I can see with an HB filter the the exit pupil may be crucial with its use.I have no "high hopes" on this object,but I am going to give it a good try.This winter with an Arctic Air mass in just after a storm is my only hope I think.It seems then my sky transparency is the  best-excellent at times.Thank you for the advice and congratulations on getting the Horsehead!

Gerry exit pupil usually depends on age. A young teenager with good eyesight might have an exit pupil of 7.5. As you grow older that normally reduces. So someone in their 60s/70s might have a 5.5/5.0 exit pupil. So my comment on individual exit pupil relates to your age and the quality of your eyesight. Have a look at this link - http://www.stargazing.net/naa/scopemath.htm

Mark

Gerry, I have the 10 and 21 ethos and 6 and 8 delos.  all sirst rate. get the 21 as it is a dream EP.  The other night I noticed Pleiades when I opened the door to my home.  Time to get my grab n go (televue np101 on the DiscMount and was set up in 3 minutes) and inserted the 21 ethos.  It was the best view I ever had of M45.  The primary stars were perfect and blueish and all the stars were pinpoint to the edge. I counted approximately 70 stars.  It was captivating. Think about it and then Go for it.  Enjoy the 10 as it is a great EP. allen g

Gerry, I have the 10 and 21 ethos and 6 and 8 delos.  all sirst rate. get the 21 as it is a dream EP.  The other night I noticed Pleiades when I opened the door to my home.  Time to get my grab n go (televue np101 on the DiscMount and was set up in 3 minutes) and inserted the 21 ethos.  It was the best view I ever had of M45.  The primary stars were perfect and blueish and all the stars were pinpoint to the edge. I counted approximately 70 stars.  It was captivating. Think about it and then Go for it.  Enjoy the 10 as it is a great EP. allen g

Allen,I have noticed the Ethos difference as well...!I tested my 16mmT5 Nagler against the 17mm Ethos on some nebulae and the Ethos was definitely brighter,and the Nagler is very good....Your telescope- Np101 is such a high quality piece I can only imagine :smiley: .M45 is stunning,one of my favorites and I am looking forward to some great fall/winter views here.I have found that the Ethos provides such great star colour in my refractor,its spellbinding.Thanks for the Ethos support!I actually plan on the 21mm down the road,& I am lucky to have established a pricing arrangement with a national vendor here.

Gerry,

Planning on the 21mm E down the line. I think you have the bug bad enough for hospital treatment to be required. I have the 21mm but keep going to the 20mm Nagler, for some strange reason, a mental disorder no doubt.

Alan

Well Alan,if you are not using the 21mm Ethos I'm sure we could give it a good home here-all you have to do is PM a price...! :evil: Or I guess put it in buy and sell  is the proper way..... :grin: Oh and I almost forgot about the APM........ :icon_pirat:

Archived