Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Tamworth(SGL Newb) - What's happening where soon?

Pliadian

Hi Fellow Astronomers,

I am in Tamworth and have loved Astronomy for nearly 30 years.

I decided to treat myself after a decent refractor and then a 4.5" reflector and went to the top of my dream list.

I bought a Meade LX200 12" EMC last week with two Meade S4000 9.7mm & 26mmSP eyepieces.

Used once and saw M13 using the 26mm super plossl.

I took a sharp intake of breath and froze.. Transfixed at the depth, colour & sharpness WoW. I knew this scope was good but wow.!

So now it is time for the months looking out of galactic plane and time for some great deep sky observation.

However, I am still collating data for the PERFECT eyepiece for Jupiter which will be high and bright for months.

So far, I am sold on the Pentax XW 5mm Ortho. I want the best one for Jupiter & Saturn later on.

Any advice welcome as all so far have said try before you buy..

Therefore, local meetings or eyepiece borrowing, I am here for anything happening.

Nice to join & meet you all at last.

Fingers crossed for a clear Sunday night! (Will be 2nd use after purchase).

Scott.

Hello Scott from another Scott :)

Lots of astro Scott's in Staffordshire it seems!

I have no experience with Pentax EP's but they are well known for being high price but equally high quality optics.  5mm may be a tad too high depending on the 'seeing' conditions, but I base this on my own experiences with 5mm Celestron XL eyepiece which although quite expensive, is not in the same league as the Pentax. I find generally 8mm to be about it with our seeing usually (on a SW 130 PDS). 

If I had one, I would let you take a look.  But I don't ;)

Good luck and clear skies!!!!

Hello Scott from another Scott :)

Lots of astro Scott's in Staffordshire it seems!

I have no experience with Pentax EP's but they are well known for being high price but equally high quality optics.  5mm may be a tad too high depending on the 'seeing' conditions, but I base this on my own experiences with 5mm Celestron XL eyepiece which although quite expensive, is not in the same league as the Pentax. I find generally 8mm to be about it with our seeing usually (on a SW 130 PDS). 

If I had one, I would let you take a look.  But I don't ;)

Good luck and clear skies!!!!

Hi Scott (cool name bro),

NorthernSoul said the same, that 5mm may be too much for our conditions. I will keep asking until I find the best for Jupiter.

Cheers mate,

Scott.

Archived