Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

alignmaster software

Purplehayze104

Hi SGL

has/does anyone use software called alignmaster ? i was rooting through some videos on youtube an came across one on this software for polar alignment an was curious to see if anyone uses it seems very handy and bit of a time saver ?

link:

be good to hear your thoughts people,

clear skies everyone

regards

john

So how much of a rough polar alignment is still required with such software, either alignmaster or SW handset.  Is it just a case of putting Polaris in the centre of the polar scope reticule then using the software to complete the rest?

I have only used Alignmaster after I have properly aligned with the polarscope.  It is really a polar alignment refinement tool rather than a "rough setting up" tool.  The accuracy is good and falls between polar alignment and careful drift alignment.  So far it has prooven to be good enough for guided 5 min exposures and more than good enough for Solar/Lunar/planetary photography.

• 2 weeks later...

after just moving house (depending on positioning decison) i have no chance of Polaris.  With only South and a quarter East and West at my disposal can anyone confirm if they have been able to use Alignmaster in this situation ?

Thanks

after just moving house (depending on positioning decison) i have no chance of Polaris.  With only South and a quarter East and West at my disposal can anyone confirm if they have been able to use Alignmaster in this situation ?

Thanks

That sounds like my view, I tried Alignmaster but couldn't get it to work I'm afraid. I have to drift align and use PHD2 for the task.

I was in the same situation in my last house. I had no view if Polaris and align master worked perfectly for me after just pointing the mount to compass north I ran a few iterations of align master and got my best goto's to date. I have a great view of Polaris from my new house but I still use align master by preference

Archived