Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Lust/Greed

Hi all.

I have a confession to make.

I really want to buy a GSO 10" f5 Dobsonian.

So what's wrong with that? Well... look at my sig. I don't really NEED one, but I just WANT to have one!

I loved my GSO 8" f6 Dob and spent a lot of time (and a little money but not much) tweaking and pimping it. Other telescope purchases forced me to sell it, but I enjoyed the Dobsonian experience.

Now I'd like the 10" as it will be more manageable than the 12" f5 I had, and better light grasp than the 8" I had. Also, a step up from the 180mm Mak I own.

BUT... I really can't afford it without selling something... and I don't want to sell anything! :(

You see? I'm a victim of empty cold-hearted Telescope-Lust, and to be honest I don't even really regret it!

So I'm not really looking for forgiveness, or help as such, just some understanding and sympathy really. Unless you have a GSO (or other) 10" f5 Dob that you'd like to donate to an unworthy cause.... ;)

Ant :evil:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my 16" and 12" scopes appear to have had a baby. if the next one's a 10" it's yours (although I suspect a vasectomy may have followed the other birth as my wife told me three was a crowd).

post-5119-0-35195800-1372099164.jpg

I'm sure your wife wouldn't be happy if you had my collection.. 5 and counting ;).

Ant, I know exactly how you feel, but fortunately for me there aren't any OTAs I want (except maybe a 4" frac.. :() until I move to a house and actually have room to move them around ;).

Pity there is not a low cost / easy to use scope rental service for when we have these "urges"  :smiley:

I was thinkin about this the other day...my 12" doesn't get much of a look-in lately (don't know why!)..and I thought if my local school would like me to give a once a month little whats up there talk or just lend it out to them?

I confess, the lust got the better of me.

I succumbed and ordered a GSO 10" f5 Dob. How bad am I?!?

I did sort of try to resist.                 A little bit.                                  for a while...

Ant :evil:

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to it but am nervous too. I loved my 8" f6: will the 10" f5 have a similar effect on me? I hope so.

Can anyone advise me how much of the flocking material from FLO I'll need to do the full tube please?

Thanks.

Ant

There are some days where I feel as though if I don't order a 130mm f/7 Triplet APO I'll just die... alas if I did, I couldn't afford to die. 'Tis the cross we all must bear... such it is with this hobby we've chosen. Heavy sigh.

- Nate

Birmingham, AL

I know. Sometimes you can be bitten with the intense "need" for a particular item!

Thankfully, with me anyway, I do at least use my purchases whenever possible. Nothing I buy gets left to gather dust. And if it does, it usually gets sold on to finance the next irresistible urge! ;)

Ant

Archived